R2E w/ i920 Overclocking Guide

Found this nice little list of all BIOS settings to use as a reference for a R2E build, it's a bit old, but figured it's a good basis for some of my remaining questions since things have changed a bit since my last 2 builds in 2002 (socket 478 - Asus P4S8X) and 2005 (socket 775 P5AD2-premium). Built those w/ my father and now as I head of to college, he's left me to do this one on my own "for educational purposes" :) .

On those boxes, while I enjoyed playing w/ seeing how far I could go. I'm not really willing to invest hours and hours tweaking away till I eke out the last bit of performance. I generally keep my boxes for 3-4 years and don't upgrade other than adding a CPU, extra HD's, more RAM or a new vid card. I figure if I gotta yank the MoBo, I'm building a new box. So I am aiming for a stable 24/7 3.67 GHz outta my overclock. Once I settle in, maybe I will play and try for stable running at 4.0 but I will fall back to 3.67 for everyday use.

Anywhere here's the guide link:

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=322

And here's what it lists for BIOS settings:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio Setting – 20
DRAM Frequency – either 1440 or 1800, whichever is closest to the original operating frequency of your RAM
Intel Speedstep Tech - Disabled
Intel Turbo Mode Tech - Disabled

QPI aka BCLK Frequency – 180
PCIE Frequency - 100
UCLK Frequency - Auto
QPI Link Data Rate - Auto
DRAM Timing Control – Set this to be the Timings of your specific RAM, i.e. 9-9-9-26. This setting is done in order, first setting 9, second 9, third 9, fourth 26.
EPU II Phase Control - Full Phase
CPU Voltage – 1.2v – 1.3v, start at 1.3v and stress test, then decrease and retest stability.
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - Auto
IOH Voltage - Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage - Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage - Auto
Load-Line Calibration – Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude – Auto
CPU Clock Skew – Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum – Auto
IOH Clock Skew – Auto

Okay, so here's my questions:

1. Looking @ http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268-3.html I notice they hit 3.67 with the following:

QPI Frequency – 183
CPU Voltage – 1.275
b]DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.60[/b]
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - 1.275

Any reason not to use that as my starting point ?

2. The guide author has both Speed Step and Turbo Mode disabled. I notice that in the above THG article, they left SS on. I could have sworn I read a follow up to that article that said if I recall correctly, that both SS and TM could be left on with the new D0 stepping but that could be the result of reading and trying to absorb too much in a short time. Can someone educate me here ?

3. With regard to the memory frequency seems that this should be 1467 on a 2:8 setting.

4. In the THG chart listed in Item 1 above, what is GPL ? Is that the same as CPU PLL Voltage ? (Min Setting of CPU PLL is 1.81592 v)

5. QPI Link Data Rate and UCLK Frequency - I have seen several i7 oc videos where they set these at 4.8 and 16x. Does "Auto" leave it at 4.8 / 16x or is it proportional to something else when on Auto ? If I'm calculating right, we're looking for 4.8 and 2933 here.

6. Anything I missed ?

fatpanda

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this, I'm going to get an i7 920 with an ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard for my first build and have been looking for overclocking tips. I'm sure this will help, and I hope others will respond to your questions.

TRENDING THREADS