Partitioning and Viruses

skarrlette

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I found a virus and my system shut down on its own, I have done banking on this computer so I want this virus gone, I have two partitions and already have Windows XP installed. Now I was planning on deleting and reformatting with Vista. If I go to C and delete then add vista, does that mean I have two operating systems on my computer xp and vista? Should I delete D as well then if I do, do I have to install vista on D and C:?

Please advise

G

You don't mention using an anti-virus product.

I agree that the most certain way to zap viruses is a reformat but it seems worth trying a free product like AVG or Avast first.

berlin88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

If you are doing anything on the internet where you give out information about yourself (especially banking), then having anti spyware or anti virus software is a must. You can download and install Microsoft security essentials, which is what I am using right now. Its free for you to download and install, as long as the OS is genuine.

skarrlette

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Thanks both answers were informative this is a work in progress because I am complete newbie, no expert I am learning as I go along. I have posted another new question for a new problem.

Thanks