Sign in with
Your question

Amd athlon xp 1250mhz to 1700mhz show off( she's dead help!)

Last response: in Overclocking
September 7, 2009 3:18:49 AM

I just wanted to ask about my amd athlon xp overclock I had it overclocked all the way up to 1700mhz from the stock 1250. (this was my first overclock I barely knew whAT I WAS DOING EVERYONE HAS TO START SOMEWHERE) sorry caps lock was on. It ran very unstable since this was my first time I didn't know that you had to raise voltages yet so it probably would have went way higher if it didn't die. more impressive to me was the temps I was getting with air cooling not to mention a heatsink that didnt even have heatpipes just a huge chunk of aluminum. I had a giant 80mm fan that got really nice airflow and at the same time was nearly silent( my biggest petpieve with computers) and got temps overclocked load of about 50c. And ile around 26c. Even more fascinating I barely had any contact no arctic silver and the base of the heatsink had this wierd curve to it and was assymetrical. It ran very stable at 1.5 and 1.6 ghz. I wanted to show off the results fist of all but also I wanted to ask for HELP! something went wrong while applying new thermal paste. when I put the heatsink back on carefully so Ididn't crack any components. When I turn it on all the fans spun the drives lit up and hard drives were spinning. but the screen was blank and the processor load light was on continuously. The screen was blank though. I don't know which Of these three problems I was and was hping someone could shed some light that was a good computer it worked fine until that. The problems could be any of these; Dead mobo, dead vga card, dead cpu.

Any help would be nice thanks
September 7, 2009 3:41:53 AM

That's actually a Hardrive load light.

And I think the most likely causes are that you accidentally crushed the cpu, or the new thermal paste could have been low quality, or you could have put too much or not enough and killed the cpu.
m
l
September 7, 2009 2:45:37 PM

Remove the video card, ram and hard drive. If it doesn't even beep, either the psu or motherboard is dead. Else the beeps shall guide you.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2009 3:00:52 PM

protokiller said:
That's actually a Hardrive load light.

And I think the most likely causes are that you accidentally crushed the cpu, or the new thermal paste could have been low quality, or you could have put too much or not enough and killed the cpu.

actually both lights were like that so I am going to get a new cpu and vga card
m
l
September 7, 2009 3:02:31 PM

amnotanoobie said:
Remove the video card, ram and hard drive. If it doesn't even beep, either the psu or motherboard is dead. Else the beeps shall guide you.

Ok but m motherbioard didn't come with a speaker but I'm going to try all of your advice I'm looking around for a new cpu
m
l
September 8, 2009 11:05:22 AM

smartkid95 said:
Ok but m motherbioard didn't come with a speaker but I'm going to try all of your advice I'm looking around for a new cpu

Didn't it beep once on every boot before (when it was still working). If it doesn't have a speaker, that'd be a problem as it is hard to determine the cause.
m
l
September 8, 2009 6:40:05 PM

amnotanoobie said:
Didn't it beep once on every boot before (when it was still working). If it doesn't have a speaker, that'd be a problem as it is hard to determine the cause.

No The onlly noise was the buzz from the drives. I don't remember if the computer even made that sound. I did find a speaker from another motherboard and hooked it up and it still didn't make a sound

m
l
September 9, 2009 6:38:43 PM

smartkid95 said:
No The onlly noise was the buzz from the drives. I don't remember if the computer even made that sound. I did find a speaker from another motherboard and hooked it up and it still didn't make a sound

The mobo may be dead, it'd be hard to be 100% sure unless you try switching your mobo to another working athlon. Though the effort might not be worth it.
m
l
!