Graphics Card VS Power Supply

somethingwild

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I'm just curious... this may be a silly question though I wouldn't mind getting someone elses opinion on it. I'm buying the Nvidia BFG GeForce 9800 GTX+ OC 512MB as my graphics card( don't need much better for what I want)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...d=0665000FS10109880&catid=25617&test_cookie=1

It says that the graphics card requires at least 475 watts of power supply. My question is , would the graphics card preforme better if i had 700watts of power supply compared to a 500 watt which is close to what it recomends. Or i guess not really preforme better since the graphoics card is what it is. But would there be any benefits with going with a larger power source for the video card other than just allowing for future upgrades?

Thanks

What brand and model of PSU do you have now? If it's a cheap one, it may claim to be 500W but only be good for 350W, or it may not have enough of that power available on the +12V rail(s).
JOdrummerSH makes a very good point. A cheap PSU, when stressed, is very likely to provide erratic outputs as it croaks, rather than simply shutting down cleanly; i.e. it may not care to die alone.

somethingwild

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Oh wow thanks for the info guys :) , ill be definably keeping all of that in mind. And as for what computer I have, I dont have one atm. The one I'm on right now is not that one im going to upgrade. Im going to buy a new one or well I know building one would be much better. But ill keep all of that in mind when I get one.

doomhammr

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I have a question I'd like to add. If a graphics card requires a minimum such as that, is that minimum doubled if I SLI or Crossfire them?