Your question
Solved

I7 920 overclocking newbie needs help

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
Last response: in Overclocking
September 8, 2009 12:07:26 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first post this site has been extremely informative for research and has helped me get advice for my first PC build.

So far I have the following components
Core i7 920 ($218.49)
ASUS P6T Motherboard ($212.05)
2 x Geforce4 9800 GTX OC (SLI) ($208.99)
Prolimatech Megahalems Heatsink ($66.48)
Antec 900 Case (86.99)
Antec Quattro 1000W PSU ($140.00)

If you have any comments on my configuration or if you think i got ripped off on any components, I'd appreciate the input. As I mentioned before its my first build.

I am not a "newbie" to PC components and their functions although I have to admit I have no experience in overclocking memory/CPUs whatsoever, however upon reading all the information about how people have supposedly clocked the 920 up to 4.0 GHz "easily" the allure of overclocking to a performance equal or greater than the 965 is just too tempting. Based upon my system configuration, I feel like I am prepared for overclocking. I have one of the best heatsinks according to several reviewers, a PSU to handle the increased demand from the CPU and multiple graphics cards, a Motherboard compatable for overclocking with a myriad of options in the BIOS, and a case with surely too many fans.

My question is:
Youll notice that i dont have any DDR3 ram listed above, this is because I am still unsure which frequency to get based upon a (I have pretty much decided on 6GB capacity). I have done hours and hours of research reading reviews and how-to guides on how to overclock and how memory frequencies are affected by overclocking the i7. I understand that the FSB has dissappeared and replaced with a "base clock" (133MHz stock), and that the multiplier is locked (20x stock). I understand that the memory controller is now contained within the CPU so that any increase in the base clock will result in an increase memory clock speed. However I get lost on how the BIOS settings should be configured once the memory frequencies become configured. I am aware of maximum voltage ratings (1.25v CPU, 1.65V RAM, 1.45 Uncore) and I am aware of the maximum temperature ratings for the CPU as well. Is there any way someone on this forum could present a straightforward list of settings (voltages, frequencies, multipliers, etc.) to punch into the ASUS P6T BIOS to produce a stable overclocking scheme? I am simply amazed there isn't simple straightforward webpage out there with a list of settings. The only variable really is memory frequency which i still havent got a hold on how it changes.

Also, what latency/timings should I be specifically looking for and since the CPU and motherboard does not support ECC (its NON-ECC) does that mean that ECC memory is not compatable? What voltage memory do I need? 1.65v? 1.5v?

The help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read my thread

More about : 920 overclocking newbie

September 8, 2009 12:44:13 AM

Just get some 1600 RAM. It will almost certainly be 1.65v, most of them are unless they are old.

I'm running my 920 on a p6t at 4 GHz. All I did was set the cpu voltage to 1.23 and the BCLK to 200. This will handily put your RAM at exactly 1600 too(I forget if I changed the memory multiplier, I don't think so). I also manually put the RAM voltage at 1.64 or 1.66, don't recall exactly, not that it really matters. The uncore adjusted itself correctly on it's own, and I may have manually set the QPI to match the vcore. Sorry I don't remember exactly, I can check later after some downloads finish.

I did this with a 6GB set of OCZ gold 1600 ddr3, if you care. Your mileage may vary, first thing to try if you find you aren't stable at these settings is bumping the vcore up a bit.
m
l
September 8, 2009 4:36:37 AM

So in conclusion I should get 1600 RAM with a 1.65V rating? Should the memory be ECC or NON-ECC and what should the timing/latency be?

As far as overclocking is concerned, you are telling me to set the cpu voltage to 1.23, the base clock to 200Mhz and the RAM voltage to 1.65. What other steps need to be taken? Can you please check all of your multipliers and any other relevant settings. Again I am very appreciative of your help
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 9, 2009 2:04:27 PM

thanks for the link jsc... still unsure on what memory frequency rating to buy... but this link presents a straightforward approach to overclocking
m
l