good PSU brand !?

Jonnyguru.com reviewed a particular 500W Rosewill model, and they were very surprised that it passed all their tests to earn their recommendation. That is because the brand as a whole is considered crap.
PC Power and Cooling, Antec, OCZ, Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, and Enermax are among the better brands. Choose one of theirs for best results.

jaysins

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
OCZ and pc power and cooling is now one as OCZ acquired them. There eliteXstream is one of the powersupplies released since that time. On a side note I had a older ocz 600w stealthXstream that died and sent it in as it was under warranty and got sent back and 800w eliteXstream ps. Not only a lot better wattage but better amps and overall much more efficient and stable supply. So I had a very good customer service experience from OCZ.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

This is misleading because OCZ and PC Power and Cooling, while being under the same ownership, do not produce the same power supplies. Most brands such as Rosewill OCZ and PC Power and Cooling co-design power supplies with other companies that are the ones who actually manufacture them, such as PC Power and Cooling power supplies are made by Seasonic. Rosewill power supplies tend to be from Channel Well, last time I checked, and are rather bad power supplies. Stick with jtt283's list and don't be afraid to consider Hiper power supplies as well.

This list is a bit dated, but will give you some idea of brand quality:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088
A QUALITY psu with two pci-e connectors will be fine for any single vga card.
A psu is NOT the place to skimp on quality.
One of the best is PC P&C silencer610.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005
It delivers 49a on the 12v rails at high temperatures. It recently sold for less with some rebates, so shop around.

Lesser units deliver power at room temperatures which is not realistic. They also advertise high wattage, but do not deliver amps to the 12v rails which is where the main draw is.
For example, the 600W rosewill only delivers 35a on the 12v rails.

Also look for Corsair and Seasonic units.