pioneer PDP-501MX plasma TV problem

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 4, 2004 10:31:10 AM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,rec.arts.tv,sci.electronics.misc,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

A friend has a pioneer PDP-501MX plasma tv which now does not work.
Apparently there is a problem with the panel itself-most likely with
the electodes located on the front side of the glass. Pioneer says the
Plasma panel will have to be replaced. The plasma panel is number
AWU1025. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Needeless to say my friend
would rather not spend thousands to get it fixed. Is there anyway
around this, e.g., an easy (he should be so lucky) repair, or a cheap
panel replacement? Any thoughts, comments appreciated.

Douglas
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 12:31:12 AM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,rec.arts.tv,sci.electronics.misc,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

These sets are service by mainly modular type repair as like a PC machine.
The boards used are very complex, and would not be cost effective to
service, unless the fault was very simple. When changing the boards, there
are adjustment procedures that must be verified. The proper training,
service set-up, and service information is required to do this type of
service.

If the screen is defective, it is like a tube or module. It must be
replaced. There is no substitute than having the original parts for these
types of sets. On some models, when changing the screen, the proper tools
are required to re-attach the ribbon cable assembly.

There are procedures after the new installation to make sure that the screen
drives and supply voltages are in specs. This is something you will not be
able to do at home.

As for anyone who buys a Plasma screen, they have to consider that it is
like having an expensive automobile. When it is time to service it, the cost
will be reflected by the product type. Also, the Plasma screen reliability
is not the same as the standard CRT set. We always suggest to the client
take out an extended warranty, especially with this type of product. Usually
they think the warranty is a rip-off, but wait until the unit fails when it
is out of the base warranty! Generally the repairs on Plasma screens are
fairly expensive.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Douglas Armour" <armourdm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
A friend has a pioneer PDP-501MX plasma tv which now does not work.
Apparently there is a problem with the panel itself-most likely with
the electodes located on the front side of the glass. Pioneer says the
Plasma panel will have to be replaced. The plasma panel is number
AWU1025. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Needeless to say my friend
would rather not spend thousands to get it fixed. Is there anyway
around this, e.g., an easy (he should be so lucky) repair, or a cheap
panel replacement? Any thoughts, comments appreciated.

Douglas
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:27:32 AM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,rec.arts.tv,sci.electronics.misc,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

In adition to making sure that the repair is done by a professional,
do you have any sense from the information about this Pioneer that the
repair is worth doing. My sense is that it would be cheaper just to go
out and buy another one (with a long-term warranty). Is there a
resting place for plasma TVs that no longer work?

Douglas

"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<c9r4q1$bvf$3@news.eusc.inter.net>...
> These sets are service by mainly modular type repair as like a PC machine.
> The boards used are very complex, and would not be cost effective to
> service, unless the fault was very simple. When changing the boards, there
> are adjustment procedures that must be verified. The proper training,
> service set-up, and service information is required to do this type of
> service.
>
> If the screen is defective, it is like a tube or module. It must be
> replaced. There is no substitute than having the original parts for these
> types of sets. On some models, when changing the screen, the proper tools
> are required to re-attach the ribbon cable assembly.
>
> There are procedures after the new installation to make sure that the screen
> drives and supply voltages are in specs. This is something you will not be
> able to do at home.
>
> As for anyone who buys a Plasma screen, they have to consider that it is
> like having an expensive automobile. When it is time to service it, the cost
> will be reflected by the product type. Also, the Plasma screen reliability
> is not the same as the standard CRT set. We always suggest to the client
> take out an extended warranty, especially with this type of product. Usually
> they think the warranty is a rip-off, but wait until the unit fails when it
> is out of the base warranty! Generally the repairs on Plasma screens are
> fairly expensive.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> =====
>

> "Douglas Armour" <armourdm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> A friend has a pioneer PDP-501MX plasma tv which now does not work.
> Apparently there is a problem with the panel itself-most likely with
> the electodes located on the front side of the glass. Pioneer says the
> Plasma panel will have to be replaced. The plasma panel is number
> AWU1025. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Needeless to say my friend
> would rather not spend thousands to get it fixed. Is there anyway
> around this, e.g., an easy (he should be so lucky) repair, or a cheap
> panel replacement? Any thoughts, comments appreciated.
>
> Douglas
June 7, 2004 7:20:48 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,rec.arts.tv,sci.electronics.misc,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I have seen several plasma TVs with broken screens on ebay lately. If the
screen is the only thing that's broken (physically), then parts are
reusable..

> In adition to making sure that the repair is done by a professional,
> do you have any sense from the information about this Pioneer that the
> repair is worth doing. My sense is that it would be cheaper just to go
> out and buy another one (with a long-term warranty). Is there a
> resting place for plasma TVs that no longer work?
>
> Douglas
>
> "Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > These sets are service by mainly modular type repair as like a PC
machine.
> > The boards used are very complex, and would not be cost effective to
> > service, unless the fault was very simple. When changing the boards,
there
> > are adjustment procedures that must be verified. The proper training,
> > service set-up, and service information is required to do this type of
> > service.
> >
> > If the screen is defective, it is like a tube or module. It must be
> > replaced. There is no substitute than having the original parts for
these
> > types of sets. On some models, when changing the screen, the proper
tools
> > are required to re-attach the ribbon cable assembly.
> >
> > There are procedures after the new installation to make sure that the
screen
> > drives and supply voltages are in specs. This is something you will not
be
> > able to do at home.
> >
> > As for anyone who buys a Plasma screen, they have to consider that it is
> > like having an expensive automobile. When it is time to service it, the
cost
> > will be reflected by the product type. Also, the Plasma screen
reliability
> > is not the same as the standard CRT set. We always suggest to the client
> > take out an extended warranty, especially with this type of product.
Usually
> > they think the warranty is a rip-off, but wait until the unit fails when
it
> > is out of the base warranty! Generally the repairs on Plasma screens
are
> > fairly expensive.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jerry G.
> > =====
> >

> > "Douglas Armour" <armourdm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > A friend has a pioneer PDP-501MX plasma tv which now does not work.
> > Apparently there is a problem with the panel itself-most likely with
> > the electodes located on the front side of the glass. Pioneer says the
> > Plasma panel will have to be replaced. The plasma panel is number
> > AWU1025. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Needeless to say my friend
> > would rather not spend thousands to get it fixed. Is there anyway
> > around this, e.g., an easy (he should be so lucky) repair, or a cheap
> > panel replacement? Any thoughts, comments appreciated.
> >
> > Douglas
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 12:33:34 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,rec.arts.tv,sci.electronics.misc,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

If indeed the display is damaged or defective the correct repair would be to
replace the complete display. Once you see the cost from Pioneer for the
display and the labour cost to install it and properly configure it you may
just be $$$ ahead in investing in another device. Recommend you have the
unit serviced by a dealer familiar with the Pioneer Plasma sets and
preferably is authorized by Pioneer to service them.
"Eugen T" <viperz@nomorespam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > is out of the base warranty! Generally the repairs on Plasma screens
> are
>> > fairly expensive.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Jerry G.
>> > =====
>> >

>> > "Douglas Armour" <armourdm@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> > A friend has a pioneer PDP-501MX plasma tv which now does not work.
>> > Apparently there is a problem with the panel itself-most likely with
>> > the electodes located on the front side of the glass. Pioneer says the
>> > Plasma panel will have to be replaced. The plasma panel is number
>> > AWU1025. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Needeless to say my friend
>> > would rather not spend thousands to get it fixed. Is there anyway
>> > around this, e.g., an easy (he should be so lucky) repair, or a cheap
>> > panel replacement? Any thoughts, comments appreciated.

Anonymous
February 20, 2009 7:01:53 AM

pioneer plasma tvs are VERY good when it comes to watching but they are expensive to buy & service.Anyway the 501 mx is very old now so you might as well buy a 6th gereration plasma like the 1 in 501 is the gereration numer.plus the 6th generation is digital so think about it!!!Just buy another & sell the broken one. :sweat:  You'll get a lot of money out of the broken one.Ive got a 6 generation one.its called 'pioneer pdp 436xde' & trust me its goooooood!!!Youll love it. :o  :pt1cable:  :D
Anonymous
February 20, 2009 7:04:17 AM

sorry, didint realize how OLD your reply was.lol
!