WMI log file, It is filling the C: Drive! Please help. TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi, Last week I posted here requesting help with my Hard drive filling up
all the time and needing to restart the PC to reclaim the lost space. Today,
I found out that the WMI log (\windows\system32\logfiles\WMI\trace.log) is
using all available space on that partition, filling the drive. restarting
the system causes the log to be reset! What is happening here? Do I really
need that log? Can I stop it and how? Again, TIA.

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:05:51 -0400, "Lisa" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, Last week I posted here requesting help with my Hard drive filling up
>all the time and needing to restart the PC to reclaim the lost space. Today,
>I found out that the WMI log (\windows\system32\logfiles\WMI\trace.log) is
>using all available space on that partition, filling the drive. restarting
>the system causes the log to be reset! What is happening here? Do I really
>need that log? Can I stop it and how? Again, TIA.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/logging_wmi_activity.asp

I don't know if you need it or not. You might try disabling and see
what happen.

Greg Ro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Normal WMI logging logs are found in...
%windir%\system32\wbem\logs
or
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\logs

You may see a bunch of logs in that folder.

Did you ever use bootvis.exe?
If yes...

[[After running the MS Bootvis utility, the file
C:\WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log becomes hugely inflated.

The file shrinks on rebooting but may rapidly grow to a few gig's in size,
to cure the problem run BootVis again and click Trace-->Stop Tracing, the
file will now stop growing and may be safely deleted.]]
From...
http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=2806

If that wasn't it, try this, it will List all trace sessions.
Open a command prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
When the command prompt opens type or paste:

TRACELOG -L

Hit your Enter key.

If anything is running a trace it should show up, otherwise it returns to
the prompt.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23%23KCks$qFHA.3736@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Lisa <0@00000hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi, Last week I posted here requesting help with my Hard drive filling up
> all the time and needing to restart the PC to reclaim the lost space.
> Today, I found out that the WMI log
> (\windows\system32\logfiles\WMI\trace.log) is using all available space
> on that partition, filling the drive. restarting the system causes the
> log to be reset! What is happening here? Do I really need that log? Can I
> stop it and how? Again, TIA.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Wesley,

Never used bootvis! Don't even know what it is!

When I try to run TRACELOG -L from the command prompt, I get the following;
['TRACELOG' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.]

Thanks!

C:\>
> Normal WMI logging logs are found in...
> %windir%\system32\wbem\logs
> or
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\logs
>
> You may see a bunch of logs in that folder.
>
> Did you ever use bootvis.exe?
> If yes...
>
> [[After running the MS Bootvis utility, the file
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log becomes hugely inflated.
>
> The file shrinks on rebooting but may rapidly grow to a few gig's in size,
> to cure the problem run BootVis again and click Trace-->Stop Tracing, the
> file will now stop growing and may be safely deleted.]]
> From...
> http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=2806
>
> If that wasn't it, try this, it will List all trace sessions.
> Open a command prompt...
> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
> When the command prompt opens type or paste:
>
> TRACELOG -L
>
> Hit your Enter key.
>
> If anything is running a trace it should show up, otherwise it returns to
> the prompt.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23%23KCks$qFHA.3736@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Lisa <0@00000hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi, Last week I posted here requesting help with my Hard drive filling up
>> all the time and needing to restart the PC to reclaim the lost space.
>> Today, I found out that the WMI log
>> (\windows\system32\logfiles\WMI\trace.log) is using all available space
>> on that partition, filling the drive. restarting the system causes the
>> log to be reset! What is happening here? Do I really need that log? Can I
>> stop it and how? Again, TIA.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Lisa,

TRACELOG is tracelog.exe (WMI Event Trace Logger).

I thought it was part of XP. It isn't, it's part of the Windows Support
Tools. I apologize. I sometimes forget what came with what or where I got
it.

All my research shows that this..
C:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\trace.log
is caused by bootvis.exe.

Open the Registry Editor...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
Navigate to >>>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\GlobalLogger
In the right hand pane you may see Start listed under the Name column.
If you do, and the Data is 1, double click on Start and set the value to 0.

Now, just in case, do a Search on your machine for bootvis.exe, if you find
it, delete it. It isn't malicious, but it can cause problems. Bootvis is a
Microsoft tool, but MS pulled the downloading of it because of the problems
the average user has with it.

If you're interested in Windows Support Tools.

Windows Support Tools is on the XP CD.

Drive:\SUPPORT\TOOLS

Along with many useful tools built into the Windows operating system, over
40 additional Support Tools are included on the Windows CD.

To install Windows Support Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/tools_howto.mspx

Windows Support Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/tools_overview.asp

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

Using the Windows XP support tools
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Futility.asp

Using the Windows XP support tools (Part 2)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Futility2.asp

Using the Windows XP support tools (Part 3)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Futility3.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:emIu3gCrFHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,

"Greg Ro" <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:05:51 -0400, "Lisa" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi, Last week I posted here requesting help with my Hard drive filling up
>>all the time and needing to restart the PC to reclaim the lost space.
>>Today,
>>I found out that the WMI log (\windows\system32\logfiles\WMI\trace.log) is
>>using all available space on that partition, filling the drive. restarting
>>the system causes the log to be reset! What is happening here? Do I really
>>need that log? Can I stop it and how? Again, TIA.
>>

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/logging_wmi_activity.asp
>
> I don't know if you need it or not. You might try disabling and see
> what happen.
>

> Greg Ro

Hi Greg,

This one is talking about the log flies stored in,
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\logs! Don't have a problem there, the log files are
only about 24K in size. I can live with that! The log file I am talking
about is trace.log and as of this minute, it is 12GB in size! It took the PC
only 4 hours to get this log to this gigantic size and it is growing larger
by the minute!

Thanks again and I hope that someone can shed some light on that.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Again,

-Done the regedit trick but it did not help! The trace.log file is still
active and it is growing!

-Did a search for bootvis.exe but it is not on my PC!

-I installed the Windows Support Tools and run TRACELOG -L and this is what
I am getting. I hope that you can help me out! Thank you very much.

C:\Documents and Settings\M. Sabra>TRACELOG -L
Logger Name: NT Kernel Logger
Logger Id: 1
Logger Thread Id: 00000064
Buffer Size: 64 Kb
Maximum Buffers: 120
Minimum Buffers: 30
Number of Buffers: 93
Free Buffers: 89
Buffers Written: 4479
Events Lost: 0
Log Buffers Lost: 0
Real Time Buffers Lost: 0
AgeLimit: 15
Log File Mode: Sequential
Enabled tracing: Process Thread Disk File HardFaults ImageLoad
Log Filename: C:\WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log

C:\Documents and Settings\Lisa>

> [...]
>>> Tracing, the file will now stop growing and may be safely deleted.]]
>>> From...
>>> http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=2806
>>>
>>> If that wasn't it, try this, it will List all trace sessions.
>>> Open a command prompt...
>>> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
>>> When the command prompt opens type or paste:
>>>
>>> TRACELOG -L
>>>
>>> Hit your Enter key.
>>>
>>> If anything is running a trace it should show up, otherwise it returns
>>> the prompt.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:%23%23KCks$qFHA.3736@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>>> Lisa <0@00000hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Lisa,

I have no idea what started NT Kernel Logger. Apparently it logs every dang
thing.

I have a suspicion.

First look at Performance.
Start | Run | Type: perfmon.msc | Click OK |
Click on Performance Logs and Alerts and look around.

OK, I just found this...

From Performance HELP:

[[Any existing logs will be listed in the details pane. A green icon
indicates that a log is running; a red icon indicates that a log has been
stopped.]]

[[To view or change properties of a log or alert
1. Open Performance.
2. Double-click Performance Logs and Alerts.
3. Click Counter Logs, Trace Logs, or Alerts.
4. In the details pane, double-click the name of the log or alert.
5. View or change the log properties as needed.]]

[[To define start or stop parameters for a log or alert
1. Open Performance.
2. Double-click Performance Logs and Alerts, and then click Counter Logs,
Trace Logs, or Alerts.
3. In the details pane, double-click the name of the log or alert.
4. Click the Schedule tab.
5. Is for Start, we do not want that.
6. Under Stop log, select one of the following options:
To stop the log or alert manually, click Manually. When this option is
selected, to stop the log or alert, right-click the log or alert name in the
details pane, and click Stop.]]

You can disable the WMI Performance Adapter service in Services.
Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll clear down to and double click WMI Performance Adapter |
Click the Stop button | Set the Startup type to Disabled | Click Apply |
Click OK | Close Services | Maybe you have to reboot for it to stop and not
get started again, I'm not sure. Been to long since I disabled it for me to
remember.

If the WMI Performance Adapter service is disabled, no Performance logging
can take place. I have it disabled. For instance if you open Performance
(perfmon.msc), Console1.msc or and click on Performance Logs and Alerts
you'll get a message...

[[The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it
has no enabled devices associated with it.]]

If you find that the problem was from Performance, disable the WMI
Performance Adapter service so that it can't happen again.
-----

If nothing above helped, read on.

You can type this in a command prompt for help on tracelog.

tracelog /?

This command will Stop all active trace sessions...

tracelog -x

I do not know if this command will work, type or paste into a command
prompt...

tracelog -stop NT Kernel Logger

It's worth a shot, if nothing above helped.

Same with..

tracelog -disable NT Kernel Logger

You can read through this, if you want...
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-490-Difficulty-finding-LogFiles.html

More info...

NT Kernel Logger Trace Session
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/tracetools_85d66a98-bc80-4dc4-bce8-7bb7618ff5be.xml.asp

Start an NT Kernel Logger Trace Session
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/tracelog_ead9da62-ba78-4926-8f62-e68d8d6292ba.xml.asp

Tracelog Commands
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/tracelog_b6beb1b9-7356-4975-8f53-2f2338ae1927.xml.asp

I have enough here to keep you busy for a while. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uL9GGZDrFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> [...]
>>
>> Using the Windows XP support tools (Part 3)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Futility3.asp

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:emIu3gCrFHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Lisa <0@00000hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Wesley,
>>>
>>> Never used bootvis! Don't even know what it is!
>>>
>>> When I try to run TRACELOG -L from the command prompt, I get the
>>> following; ['TRACELOG' is not recognized as an internal or external
>>> command, operable program or batch file.]
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> C:\>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Three things;

1. you are a great man, I really and truly appreciate the time!

2. WMI Performance Adapter service was disabled already! So, I guess this NT
kernel logger uses some other service to operate!

3. tracelog -x works but only for the current session. After re-booting,
there's the TRACE.LOG file, growing as usual! But the regedit trick works
after all but you have to reboot to get it to stick. I did not reboot my
system the first time and that is why the log file was still growing!

Again, thank you so much and have a great night!

Lisa

> [...]
>>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en
>>>
>>> Using the Windows XP support tools
>>>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Futility.asp
>>>
>>> Using the Windows XP support tools (Part 2)
>>>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Futility2.asp
>>>
>>> Using the Windows XP support tools (Part 3)
>>>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Futility3.asp
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:emIu3gCrFHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> Lisa <0@00000hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am so glad to hear that you finally nailed it! :)

You can't believe how many problems can be fixed by rebooting. After trying
to apply any "fix", if it does not seem to work, reboot. When in doubt,
reboot.

I wonder what started the NT Kernel Logger in the first place? Oh, well.

Keep having fun.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes