Need some CPU cooling advice (Q6600)

visorneon

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Hi Everyone,

Essentially I am using a Q6600 in an Antec 900 case - my current CPU cooler is the Artic Cooling Freezer 7, which is great for cooling but is incredibly loud - has a horrible humming noise and is by far the loudest thing in my computer.

Anyone have any suggestions on what extremely quiet CPU coolers there are available for LGA775 sockets at the moment? If possible could you tell me how good they would be at cooling as well as how quiet they are?

Thanks for any info!

Have you tried tightening the clips that hold the fan against the fins?

You can slip some cardboard or anything in between the fan and the clip or the fan and the fins that would "make the fan thicker" and force the clips to hold it tighter.

is your BIOS set to run the fan at 100%? Or to control it vs vs cpu temp?

BenSheriff

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Well ill tell you that i updated my artic freezer 7 to the next series up, artic freezer Extreme and it quiet as hell and provides 160W or cooling performance to my cpu.

visorneon

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

it is on 100% yes - this is only because when i turn it down I hear the vibrations instead of the airflow (airflow imo is the lesser of two evils)

The clips are quite lose at the moment, didn't even think about tightening them. Will try that when i get back see if it helps

Also thanks bensheriff - is it about the same size? and a lot quieter?