CPU FSB 1333 but MOBO FSB 1066???

boomer2point0

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hi all, i just checked the specs for my Asus P5B deluxe

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/asus_p5b/

It says the FSB is 1066 ... but the E8400 I want to put in there (which the ASUS site says is supported with a bios upgrade) has a FSB of 1333.

I don't know enough about FSB to know if im gimping myself. ANy insight? Would this be a less than ideal upgrade from a E6400?

The question is whether that BIOS upgrade simply allows the e8400 to work, or if it actually allows that motherboard to support an FSB of 1333. If the BIOS upgrade doesn't actually improve the FSB ability of the board, then your E8400 would be forced to run at 1066 FSB instead of its native 1333 FSB. So ultimately, it would slow the bandwidth ability of your CPU.

Ulimately, you want a motherboard that will support the CPU's native 1333 FSB for the best performance.

You'd essentially have to Overclock the Mobo chipset to get the 1333 FSB the E8400 is made for (with your current board). Which means you wouldn't have any room for actually overclocking your processor (and possibly cause extra heat from your motherboard chipset).