Need a new CPU...want YOUR opinions

I am looking to buy a new CPU for a gaming system. I currently have a Q6600 but I got a b3 stepping and the chip has been HOT since I took it out of the box. I cant even overclock the chip because regular temps are around 65-70C. Intel heatsink went bye bye and I have an Artic Cooling Freezer on with with AS5 and the thing still runs HOT. Therefore I just want to get a new chip (preferably one that isn't know for getting HOT). My setup is as follows: eVGA nForce 780i SLI motherboard, 2x Geforce 8800GT 512MB, 4GB PC6400 DDR2 4-4-4-12 Kingston Hyper-X memory, 1TB HD, SB Fatal1ty Sound Card. I want a CPU that is a good overclocker, and is not known to overheat. I want to keep my mobo and all my other parts, so a CPU that can just be plugged right in is what I am looking for. I heard the Intel C2D E8400 is a good overclocker and runs games well. This is mainly a gaming PC so I dont really need a Quad. I would appreciate anyone's opinions or suggestions. I dont want to spend over $200, so please keep it sub $200. Thanks!
11 answers Last reply
More about need want opinions
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

For 20$ more then the 8400 you could get the 8500, which is faster and still sub 200.
  2. The problem is, while e0 e8400 can go up to 4.5ghz stable on air, your 780i, which runs 1333mhz fsb stock, simply can't handle the fsb required. There is no point if it'll be bottlenecked at 3.6ghz (at 1600mhz fsb on 9x multiplier) anyway.

Consider either q6700 or e8600, both at 10x multiplier. So that's 4ghz at 1600mhz fsb.

Also, b3 q6600 is able to reach 3.6ghz on 1600mhz fsb quite easily. Your cpu cooler is decent compared to stock Intel heatsink, but in a completely different league with what overclockers use today.
    http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
    The absolute best: $29.99 ar
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004
  3. Something is wrong there. I got Q6600 @3.2GHz at stock voltage of 1.325V and it runs 25-30 C depending of ambient temperature and 55-60 at prime95 load. the cooler I use is Scytche ninja. MB is GA-EP35-DS3P. The same CPU on nforce 650i board could not handle even 2.7 GHz at prime95 load more than 30-40 min. What's more even Videocard overclocks better for unknown reason on this board.

If I were in your place I would get a p35/ p45 board for the same cpu, make sure that HSF is properly mounted and TIM applied correctly to keep it cool. Get a new single graphics card (HD4870/GTX 260). Sell old board and vid cards.
  4. kyeana said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

For 20$ more then the 8400 you could get the 8500, which is faster and still sub 200.

Exactly keana. With the E8500 you won't even have to overclock, and a duo 45nm will run cooler.
  5. Is the cpu still under warranty? Why not just get a new one. Its still a great cpu. If the cpu isnt defective and you just want a new one you should just sell it and use that money to get a q9550 or an e8600 which would be the best and cheapest upgrade for you.
  6. What case do you have?
    Do other parts report running on the high side for temps (chipsets,regulators,GFX card)?
  7. ZOldDude said:
    What case do you have?
    Do other parts report running on the high side for temps (chipsets,regulators,GFX card)?

I wager you have major airflow issues in your case.
    The 8800GTs don't exhaust the Heat out of the case so you really need good case fans to get all the heat out.
  8. Thanks for the responses guys. This is the case I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137. I have a fan on the top of the case, one fan out the back, one fan in the front, and one side fan. So I have 4 fans total. The chip really has run hot since the beginning. I have tried reseating the cooler and reapplying the TIM more times than I care to remember. I can get the temps as low as 55C but then they eventually rise again. I understand about the fan I have not being an overclockers fan, but i'm not trying to get the chip to 3.5 or 4ghz. I cant even get it to 2.8Ghz. And no, the chip isn't under warranty. I bought the chip when only b3 steppings were avaliable
  9. E8X00 X= the biggest number u can get under $200
    ur vid cards are fine u dont need to upgrade(contrary to wut ainarssems said)

but ur cpu shouldn't be getting that hot its either defective or u didnt mount the cooler right
  10. trulaker9 said:
    Thanks for the responses guys. This is the case I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137. I have a fan on the top of the case, one fan out the back, one fan in the front, and one side fan. So I have 4 fans total. The chip really has run hot since the beginning. I have tried reseating the cooler and reapplying the TIM more times than I care to remember. I can get the temps as low as 55C but then they eventually rise again. I understand about the fan I have not being an overclockers fan, but i'm not trying to get the chip to 3.5 or 4ghz. I cant even get it to 2.8Ghz. And no, the chip isn't under warranty. I bought the chip when only b3 steppings were avaliable

That case is one of the better ventilated ones out there. It should be enough to ventilate the dual 8800gt. Consider going into bios and disable cpu fan control. When disabled, it'll run the fan at 100% all the time. See if it helps.

If not, consider getting a better cpu cooler. Your existing unit is decent, but not on par with current top coolers. People have gone far higher with the same cpu, but better cooler.
  11. To cool the 8800GT more effectively, you could install the EVGA Akimbo two slot cooler if your mobo permits.

To test how good your case cooling may or may not be, take the side cover off, and direct a house fan at the innards. If this makes much of a difference, then you have a case cooling issue.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product