My new rig isn't working...

cloud8384

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
So here's the thing:

I had a rig set up running an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo with an AMD X2 proc, and dual XFX 7600GTs. I was also running a 500 watt Antec True Power. Suddenly a month ago when the power was turned off the PSU would emit a VERY high pitched sound until switched off from the back. I procrastinated and eventually it stopped booting atogether. SO I went out figuring it was a case of too little power for too much of a power sucking rig and bought a Corsair 750 watt. When I installed it it booted but the screen would never come on. Figuring I must have burnt out the mobo I went out and purchesed some new parts (I was due for an upgrade anyway). Got an MSI P7N-SLI and an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 and 4 gigs of Kingston DDR2. Upon installing everything the screen remained giving me the no signal input treatment. I had an old old old ATI RADEON PCI Express that I tried installing but had the same result with the monitor. So now I think I need to get new Vid Cards. What do you all think. I'm pissed because I've already spent sooooo much.

jankyscoes

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Start by removing the motherboard from the case and placing it on a wooden desk or an anti static bag (as long as it is not on a metal surface you should be fine). Install the cpu and turn it on. If it beeps at you, then the cpu is probably good.

Then try the ram (one stick at a time). If it still beeps when the ram is installed then the ram is possibly bad (one short beep is normal, multiple beeps usually means ram not detected). Then install the video card.

If still no video then try a different card and a different monitor.

cloud8384

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
The ram is brand new as is the mobo and the proc. The computer turns on fine, i.e. all lights go on, the fans all spin including the video card fans. Have already tried a different monitor with no result. I can't believe that a mobo with 3 PCI Express slots could all be bad in one shot which leads me to believe that my vid cards must have been the parts that burnt out. SLI is way more trouble than it's worth and since I rarely use my PC for games anymore I'm thinking I may just buy 1 x16 at this point. any thoughts?

jankyscoes

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Are you trying both video cards in SLI mode? If so then only do 1 at a time.
In order to get video you need 5 things in working order:

1. motherboard
2. cpu
3. ram
4. video card
5. monitor (and cable)

At least one of these has failed. Just because the parts are brand new does not mean that they work correctly. A tiny static discharge could damage the parts (so tiny you cant even feel it).

cloud8384

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I don't even wanna THINK about static discharge right now. The problem is that i the old system after I put in the new power supply I got the same results that I got now. I can't believe that two procs, and two mobos, could go bad that quickly! I did try a different monitor and it didn't work so now I now the monitor is not the issue...I have to assume it's the vid card...right?