Help how to read raid5 disks

G

I had a "ASUS P5WDG2 WS Professional" motherboard with 3 harddisk in raid5.My motherboard was fried. How i can read the data from my disks?

sturm

Splendid
If you can find a motherboard with the exact same controller on it you might get lucky and be able to see the array without rebuilding it.
Other than that you will probably need a professional recovery.

Raid 5 only protects you from hard drive failure. It will not protect you from a controller failure so you still need to make backups.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That mobo's manual says it uses an Intel ICH7R Southbridge chip to provide the on-board disk controllers including the RAID capabilities. Your best bet, then, is another mobo with the same chipset, especially that particular southbridge.

BUT check Intel's website on this question. Some makers can tell you they have maintained RAID compatibility from one chipset to a newer one within limits, so just maybe other Intel chipsets can handle that RAID set properly. I'll tell you one thing that likely is VERY important to know, though. On the old system with the failed mobo, exactly which HDD unit was plugged into which SATA port number? Raid systems arrange data on disks according to which port number they are attached to.

Frankly, even if you can find a compatible motherboard and chipset, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get the data back. Some RAID controllers are very simple-minded in terms of configuration options - if you attach 3 drives and tell them it's a RAID 5 set they'll immediately start to initialize the drives (which is NOT what you want). It may be impossible or very tricky to coax the system into realizing that the drives are ALREADY a valid RAID set.

There is software available which can be used to recover data from RAID sets. You attach all the drives as plain, vanilla non-RAID drives and the program examines what it sees, figures out what the original RAID organization was, and pulls the data off. Here's an example of one I found by Googling "RAID recovery program": http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm