GDDR5 Ram Sticks – Anytime soon?

craige4u

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
There’s GDDR5 in GPU’s and there’s DDR3 on RAM Sticks, but I wonder if DDR5 Ram is gonna be available soon or if it’s in development?

Could anybody put some light on the same?

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Well considering the slow adoption of DDR3, and the fact that Core i7 chips are going to be restricted to DDR3 due to the memory controller, its unlikly that DDR5 or DDR4 is going to show up for at least a year. Intel is generally the first to jump on the new memory standards in the desktop space. Since we won't see a CPU refresh for a year the probability of a new memory standard is quite low.

rock3ralex

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
agreed, ddr3 was just released not that long ago and is now starting to become affordable. Plus DDR4 hasn't even been revealed yet.

kammshaft

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
WRONG!!! I think amd is going to try and speed up the release, yes no ddr4 because the math doesnt make sense thats y no gddr4. look at the apu. as of right now must buy 65xx radeon to use onboard gpu in apu setup. next step is onboard dvi/hdmi, then vRAM SLOTS. the apu is gonna be amd's excuse to force out ddr5 as onboard vram ahead of intel. also would be a turning part for home builds when you can upgrade vram without changin to a whole new vcard. THINK ABOUT IT

kammshaft

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

thats cuz intels retarded, CAN I GET A WOOT WOOT!!! FOR AMD

corpsbeginners

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
i think they and we... have to benefit more from the current technology. or else everyone will be always running after the improvements, till we can't anymore. much of the information is always limited to the few. :)