Sign in with
Your question

Mac G5 Watercooler

Last response: in Overclocking
September 8, 2009 12:56:12 PM

Hi all,

I have managed to buy a second-hand Mac G5 to do a 'PC in a MAC trick'. I intended to go watercooled.

The model of G5 I have bought has the mac water-cooler installed.

Am I able to use this with a Q6600 for example. Can it need be modified?

I haven't received the case yet so just asking in advance

Thanks

More about : mac watercooler

September 8, 2009 1:25:37 PM

The water cooling on the Mac G5 is a sealed system. It is also controlled by the Open Firmware on the mainboard (the G5 equivalent of BIOS and the EFI module that is used in Intel Macs) to determine flow rate, etc. If you can figure out how to overcome these two obstacles, and how you can mount it on your particular mainboard (it doesn't used 775 or AM2+/3 socket designs) then you might be able to reuse it. As it was designed to cool a chip with a much lower thermal density, though, don't expect it to do much better than the stock air coolers that usually come with boxed processors.
September 8, 2009 1:36:55 PM

Thanks for your info on this.

So going for an aftermarket water cooler such as the Swiftech H20-220 is more advisable?
Related resources
September 8, 2009 2:46:42 PM

Yes, but keep in mind that the Power Mac "cheese grater" case is a wonderful case for air cooling. Apple designed the case for zoned cooling, linking it to Open Firmware on the computer's mainboard so that each zone was monitored and cooled separately by controlling fan speeds for that particular zone. Airflow was front to back.

The case should be more than large enough after you take out all the Apple "frills" to fit the 2x120mm radiator internally, though you may have to mod a bit to make a hard point for it to mount. If you are just running the Q6600 on this loop, then this radiator should be adequate. You might have to add more radiator if you plan on fitting the graphic card on this loop. Ideally, configure you 2x120mm in a 4 fan push-pull config and keep your revs low for better air throughput without adding that much more noise. Even better would be to relate the fan speed to the core temps on the Q6600, though you would need a fan controller that supports this.
September 9, 2009 10:08:01 PM

With the rad fan. The heat should be taken out of the case i guess? So air blown out of the front?
September 10, 2009 2:23:51 AM

You can still follow the front-to-back method that Apple intended with the case. The ventilation is more than adequate. In fact, it would probably work better front to back as the power supply will also push hot air out the back, and rather than pull that hot air right back in over you hardware, keep the airflow all going in the same direction.
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 5:59:01 AM

The second rule of watercooling is coolest air to the rad. The temps on the rad DIRECTLY impact your temps on the watercooling parts. The rule can be broken, it's just up to you.
May 29, 2010 8:52:59 PM

I plan on doing the same trick on a socket 775 and 1366.
which your q6600 is 775.
The mac water-cooler has (2) pumps which are sealed inside the blocks.