treas0n

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have a windows vista box. My HDD that ran the OS has just failed. The problem is I had 2 500gb HDD's spanned together into one 1tb drive. I am worried that if I replace the failed HDD and reinstall Vista, windows setup will not detect the spanned hard drive and I will lose all of my data. Is there any way to either get the data off of the spanned drives via a USB external HDD encloser or ensure that my new windows install will detect the spanned drive?

I may upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 once I get the new drive.

Thanks for the advice.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I'm fairly certain you can only do that with some kind of data recovery tool. Did a quick google search and found a few (for example http://www.easeus.com/resource/dynamic-disk-recovery.htm) - no endorsement of that, never used it, but it does have some explanation info about windows dynamic volumes on the page.

treas0n

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks for the link... I'm still stumped as to whether the spanned drive information is stored with the OS or not. If it's not, then in theory I can pull out both spanned drives and put them in another computer and windows will see them as one drive but somehow I doubt that it will work that way. Anyone have any idea?