Sign in with
Your question

Motherboards that support E8500 with E0 stepping out of box?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 2, 2008 3:51:17 PM

Hey guys, I've had nothing but trouble with my recent build. This is my first Intel build I've put together - decided to ditch AMD this time around after reading all the good reviews for the E8500.

My problem is that the motherboard I ordered (MSI G31M3-F) does not support the E0 stepping out of the box, which is preventing me from even being able to POST. I don't have any other Intel CPU's I could put in the motherboard to flash the BIOS to the more recent revision myself as this is my first Intel build. I could have taken this to my local Altex and had them flash it for a $45 fee, but I figured that wasn't worth it since I only payed $50 for the motherboard.

My question is, what motherboards out there support the E0 stepping without having to flash the BIOS beforehand?
November 2, 2008 6:36:23 PM

Maybe some of the P45/x48 boards, but even they will be unlikely unless you find one manufactured in the last month or two.

Id say your best bet is having the Altex do it, unless you want to buy an older 775 CPU for less.
Related resources
November 3, 2008 1:35:25 AM

I'd rather not have to buy a cpu just to flash... just seems like a waste of money.

So I'm pretty much just out of luck? I can't return my E8500, its already been past 7 days since I've got it from newegg. :( 
November 3, 2008 2:08:11 AM

pick up something cheap from ebay.. your best bet
November 3, 2008 3:45:33 AM

The only way to find out if a board will support a specific CPU out of the box, is to go to the web site of the manufacturer and look at the list of CPU's supported at the first or initial bios revision.

Unless you have a friend who will lend you a CPU compatible with the 7528v10 bios version you have so you can update to 7528v12 you are looking at spending money what ever you do.

I would never buy a used CPU off ebay, ever.

When I set up my Q6600 system at the start of the year. The Asus motherboard I wanted had a warning on the manufacturers web site. The bios needed to be updated on boards that had a bios revision that was not current at the time. So I bought a Celeron D 336 which at the time was the cheapest you could buy. So when I received my board I updated the bios and was able to use the Q6600 when I ordered it.

FYI some of the more higher end boards will boot but not see the cpu as it's proper designation. My Abit board did this when I put in the E8400, but I still needed the Celeron to flash it.

I never buy an OEM CPU 7 days is just not enough time to work things out when you have problems.

So for the most part your options are:

1) Take it all and chuck it into the closest body of water.

2) RMA the board and get one that supports 45nm E0 stepping from the day it is made.

3) If able, barrow a CPU.

4) Buy a CPU.

5) Pay to have it flashed.

If I did not have a friend that would allow me to barrow a CPU, I would buy one that I could use and then sell it to some one on ebay.
!