Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows Installer po up.

Last response: in Windows XP
December 17, 2010 12:00:37 PM

Hi all I am having the "Windows Installer" pop up very frequent. It is windows installer asking to set something which I do not understand something of a syntax lists. The problem appears after I mess up the Environment Variables. I have installed the ACA system restore software and it seem not compatible with my OS. They give instruction on how to divert back to the default folders path. I may make a mistake of it. I am not sure where the default path should be. What should I do to revert it back to the normal path. My OS. XP Pro.SP3. Thanks.

More about : windows installer

Related resources
December 17, 2010 12:48:34 PM

It removes installation files. It's pretty safe, but if you would like me to review them, you could copy and paste the list, or post a screenshot.

It is advised though, that if you have office 2007, you not run this software. There are other utilities designed to cleanup those files.
December 17, 2010 1:47:36 PM

I think I need some time to copy the long list as it is the list shown in the utility cannot be copy to note pad.

Herewith are the image I have taken: http://img96.imageshack.us/i/in2i.jpg/" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
December 17, 2010 3:46:34 PM

Pick 1 or 2 of those programs in the list, and run it on them. Pick something of less importance, like driver detective. Run the program, and verify that it's removing the install files.
December 18, 2010 2:01:28 AM

aford10 said:
Pick 1 or 2 of those programs in the list, and run it on them. Pick something of less importance, like driver detective. Run the program, and verify that it's removing the install files.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I just try and delete as mentioned, it did not solve the problem. I wonder what the windows installer is pointing to what, it did not have any error report but the syntax only. Well any further help from you all will be much appreciate.
December 18, 2010 3:51:17 AM

Verify that the program you ran the cleanup utility on, still exists and functions. If so, you can try running it on a few more items in that list. There's probably something that was partially installed.
December 18, 2010 12:50:00 PM

aford10 said:
Verify that the program you ran the cleanup utility on, still exists and functions. If so, you can try running it on a few more items in that list. There's probably something that was partially installed.

Try the items which I have deleted is gone but the pop up still appear. The thing is when you burn a dvd or when a download completed the same windows installer will pop up although it seem the work or open program works as normal. The thing I notice is the resource in the task manager increases. There are items in the list which I am not sure of it so I leave it as it is. Hoping to from you all for further instruction. Thanks.
December 19, 2010 12:33:02 AM

aford10 said:
The programs still work, because they aren't what's causing the installer to pop up. That's caused by remnants of a previous install.

If you've run that program, and are still having problems, try this one.
http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Windows-Installer-Cl...

Thanks unfortunately "Installer information it is for 98/95 and will not run in windows NT". I could not able to try it out. When this windows installer pop up appear can it be check which application it is targeting. Anyway I will be looking further help from you all.
December 19, 2010 2:32:11 AM

Odd. It says it's for XP in the specs.

Download ccleaner. Run the cleanup under the windows and application tabs. Then run the registry tool. You may need to run the registry tool several times to resolve all the issues.
http://www.piriform.com/

Best solution

December 29, 2010 2:05:54 AM

I wish to thank everyone who have responded to my question. Although it did not solved the problem, I appreciate your help rendered. To solve the problem I have make a decision to 'repair' XP. I noticed that after that the pop-up did not appeared again although what cause the problem remain a misery to me. I have to download all the windows updates it will be sometimes to complete it. Thanks everyone. I consider it solved.
December 29, 2010 4:26:19 AM

Best answer selected by aford10.
December 29, 2010 4:26:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!