Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problems with AMD Overdrive & Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 9, 2009 2:12:41 AM

im an unemployed engineer with too much time on my hands and i know NOTHING about OC'g any components. i would like to learn. I just downloaded AMD Overdrive and after reading some material from this website, i went to Preferenes/Settings and clicked on Advanced Mode. i window pops up and tells me that using Advanced mode may corrupt my system. i click OK to continue and nothing happens. i cant choose novice or advanced mode. here is my system:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940 BE
Memory: 4x2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-9600/ 1200MHz / Blade Series / Low Voltage
MoBo: Asus M4A78-EM and latest Bios 1006
Built in video card: Radeon HD 3200
Sound Card: Creative Labs 70SB104000000 Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCIe
OS: MS Vista 64bit Ultimate
Power: 480W

i know im gonna need a new Power Supply and a new Video Card, just dont know what i need.

Im not trying to build the fastest machine ever, i just wanna learn about OC'g and some tips and expectations without resorting to extreme measures.

i will greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

- Bred By Aliens

September 9, 2009 2:35:44 AM

i know im gonna need a new Power Supply and a new Video Card, just dont know what i need. Unfortunately i have an old micro-atx case and cant find any power supply. can i get an external power supply?
September 9, 2009 2:59:37 AM

no external power supplies. a good case can cost you as little at 55 dollars. you can get the antec 300 case. as far as the power supply goes. what brand/model is it. it could be enough for overclocking.

if yo u plan on overclocing, i would suggest an aftermarket cooler. the stock coolers are really loud and not that good.

graphics card, wait for the ati hd5850, or for prices of current gen card to come down.

try reinstalling the AOD. also for overclocking you may want to try out the bios. that's how i overclock. easy to raise the multiplier ,voltages and north bridge speeds.
Related resources
September 9, 2009 3:27:42 AM

godless said:
no external power supplies. a good case can cost you as little at 55 dollars. you can get the antec 300 case. as far as the power supply goes. what brand/model is it. it could be enough for overclocking.

if yo u plan on overclocing, i would suggest an aftermarket cooler. the stock coolers are really loud and not that good.

graphics card, wait for the ati hd5850, or for prices of current gen card to come down.

try reinstalling the AOD. also for overclocking you may want to try out the bios. that's how i overclock. easy to raise the multiplier ,voltages and north bridge speeds.



ty. the power supply i had put in at a local computer shop as im in the middle of nowhere Utah, its a pice of crap Logisys. Howeecer it says its ATX format so im just gonna buy another ATX sized power supply. i spotted OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply for 79.99, free shipping and another $20 rebate. so im gonna buy it. if i get a new case id need a new MOBO, id think, as my motherboard is micro-atx.
September 9, 2009 3:53:17 AM

Your motherboard should fit in an atx style case, its only a matter of screw holes on the motherboard tray when going up (micro atx to atx, next would be full tower), so no you wouldnt need a new motherboard. A new case would also give you a chance to get a bigger case (atx or full tower), which would mean you have more room for your parts and give better air flow(as long as its a good case with good fans). I highly recommend you do this as, but wait for other regulars to post what is a suggested case. What case do you currently have?

That power supply, your thinkin of getting, will do great. You only a good quality 500watt, but 700-750watt, is becomin the norm. Its not much more monies than those with less wattage, and it will cover any future upgrades. Again wait till other regulars suggest best (im on my phone so cant check everything).

As posted, get a good after market cooler, whilst your ordering this dont forget some compound or thermal paste. Get a couple of tubes. For a first timer you may find yourself reseating the cooler a few times - this could be because you find its not seated properly, paste not applied properly or just for piece of mind.

So, new case, new psu, new cpu heatsink and fan, and atleast a couple of tubes of paste or compound.

What exactly is the problem with overdrive? What do you mean by nothing happens? When you click ok to accept responsibility, nothing should happen, other than it let you now change alot of settings, which will be visible in overdrive.
September 9, 2009 4:37:21 AM

Boxa786 said:
Your motherboard should fit in an atx style case, its only a matter of screw holes on the motherboard tray when going up (micro atx to atx, next would be full tower), so no you wouldnt need a new motherboard. A new case would also give you a chance to get a bigger case (atx or full tower), which would mean you have more room for your parts and give better air flow(as long as its a good case with good fans). I highly recommend you do this as, but wait for other regulars to post what is a suggested case. What case do you currently have?

That power supply, your thinkin of getting, will do great. You only a good quality 500watt, but 700-750watt, is becomin the norm. Its not much more monies than those with less wattage, and it will cover any future upgrades. Again wait till other regulars suggest best (im on my phone so cant check everything).

As posted, get a good after market cooler, whilst your ordering this dont forget some compound or thermal paste. Get a couple of tubes. For a first timer you may find yourself reseating the cooler a few times - this could be because you find its not seated properly, paste not applied properly or just for piece of mind.

So, new case, new psu, new cpu heatsink and fan, and atleast a couple of tubes of paste or compound.

What exactly is the problem with overdrive? What do you mean by nothing happens? When you click ok to accept responsibility, nothing should happen, other than it let you now change alot of settings, which will be visible in overdrive.


ty. i figured out the AMD Overdrive. nothing happens is right but you would think that the box checked would stay checked. it doesnt but know i have all the access i need not that im gonna change anything yet. i need lots to learn. the case i have is and old Alienware micro-atx. i got it when Aienware was less then a year old. im gonna wait on a new case for now but i will need to look into a new heatsink and fan if you tell me the one supplied by AMD is not good enough. and ill just pick up some thermal grease wherever i can. just need a some good advice on a cooling system. ty

- Bred By Aliens
September 10, 2009 8:43:36 PM

I bought the Antec 300 case, ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler and Arctic Silver CMQ-22G high-density, ceramic-based thermal compound. im gonna have to wait and upgrade my MoBo to Asus M4A79 DELUXE, about $175 now, and since it has no VGA support im gonna have to buy a video card at the same time and i think im gonna go with the Sapphire Radeon HD4870 VAPOR-X 1GB thats about $150 now, maybe the Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD4890 2GB, about $240 now, if the price comes down under $200. hopefully that will give me everything i need to get the most out of my system. thanks for everyones help so far. once i get my new case and cooling system ill be back with a host of questions on where to start and im open to using the BIOS or AMD Overdrive. ty.

- Bred By Aliens
September 10, 2009 10:11:11 PM

regarding the new parts, post in the "homebuilt" section, you will get more responses, and better advice.

One thing for sure is to not buy a graphics card yet, AMD are suppose to have launched their new graphics cards based on better tech and DX11, even if you dont want the new tech cards (maybe price is too high etc), the launch will most likely bring down prices for current cards. I would wait atleast another week or two before buying anything, what to do now is to post what you think you need in the correct section on forums, for better advice.
September 10, 2009 10:45:18 PM

TY. its gonna be much longer before i buy the new MoBo and videocard. i read that new video cards were coming out so im gonna have to wait anyways for more $. but ty for the advice. im also gonna do a bunch of reading and posting in the correct areas whilst i wait for all my new components before messing around with OC'g anything.

- Bred By Aliens
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2009 4:49:40 AM

BredByAliens said:
TY. its gonna be much longer before i buy the new MoBo and videocard. i read that new video cards were coming out so im gonna have to wait anyways for more $. but ty for the advice. im also gonna do a bunch of reading and posting in the correct areas whilst i wait for all my new components before messing around with OC'g anything.

- Bred By Aliens


Here is a great primer on overclocking your CPU:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-at...

I found it very helpful. You don't need a $200 motherboard to overclock. I use a Biostar TA790gxA2+ that I bought for 100 (its cheaper now), and I easily got my X4 940 to 3.8 Ghz. Get a nice cooler, quality ram and research before you spend that much money.

gl
!