Motherboard Sound Card Compatibility

jumex

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
I'm getting a comp with an Asus P5Q Pro and a X-fi XtremeGamer sound card. Was the sound card worth it or is the on-board audio on the motherboard better than it? Also will there be compatibility issues with the sound card and vista 64-bit?

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Any add-on soundcards are better than the one supplied with the mainboard. There are still driver issues on the Xfi and vista... but so far, I had no problems - voip in games seems to work sometimes...

Soundcards almost always produce better sounds. However, a lot of us continue to have problems with Creative cards of certain games, so if you get a sound card, i recommend getting a non-creative model.

getlee

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
I had issues with Creative Fx Fatality Pro on Call of Duty, with blue screen and involuntary computer restarts on a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard.

I removed it and the drivers, returned it and not i have no problems. It was a very expensive card $150. It gave great sound, but unfortunately even with downloading the Win7 drivers there still was a conflict.

Any ideas on a cheaper sound card for great gaming performance?