Can i reeuse a coolmasterfan

jake6789

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
i have an old hp w. a coolmaster fan inside i was wondering if i cound take it out and put it in my new hp, and for that matter would it even increase function of the pc

i also was wondering if i could reuse ram... i already have 2x 4gb ram = 8gb. and if i were to put a 2gb on the empty slot would that slow down my 2x- 4gb ram sticks

And for that matter what else could i reuse from the old hp into my new hp

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
You can reuse hard drives (though older hard drives are usually slower, but they can be used as secondary drive, to store pictures or music), DVD drives, fans and memory (provided they are from the same generation, so you can't mix DDR memory with DDR2 for example.)
Everything else will likely be incompatible with your newer system, or worsen performance.

jake6789

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
so the fan can be reused provided they are the same generation... and i understand the ddr ddr2 ddr3 so id be better off buying new sticks... but is 8gb average or below average?. i noticed that a fan at staples is only 20-50$, is that the right fan id be looking for or is that somthing else.. that seems so cheap i wasnt sure if that was the right thing or not

to put an old hard drive in as a seconderry hd, would generation be a question and would it affect performace anyway

Jexter

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well you can reuse all old hardware just as long as it's compatible with each other.. meaning that for example you can't put a Pentium 4 Socket 478 into a Socket 775 Motherboard :)

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

No, generations are only important for memory, fans are always compatible, so are old hard drives, older hard drives are slower and usually noisier, that's why you want to use them for storage purposes only: don't install Windows or any programs on them, just use them to store files such as mp3's, movies, pictures and documents.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Adding a new fan to a new HP you're not overclocking, is just a wee bit pointless.
I'd rather the warranty.

I'd stick with your 8Gb as well, I'm running 2Gb at the moment without any problems on Windows 7. Adding the two sticks wont improve performance, and if they are slower than your new ones, then all 4 sticks will run at the slower speed.

Essentially what I'm saying is leave it alone :)

(Normally I'd encourage people to fiddle with computers, just not a brand new HP unless there was a lot to be gained and the risks were low)