Windows XP hard drive to Windows ME computer

G

Have a Compaq Presario 7151 WM. Originally came with Windows ME operating system. Hard drive is gone, for whatever reason (privacy most likely). The rest of the computer is intact. I have a hard drive from another Compaq (dont recall the model#), but it has/had Windows XP os. This hard drive has/had lots of info pictures etc. that i'd like to access again IF it will work on this replacement computer. I installed the hard drive and the system will turn on and allows me to click on F2 to enter the setup. If i dont press F2 the screen will eventually say "Drive not ready -System Halted". When i press F2 i can enter the setup screen with lots of options...but i have no idea where to go from there to make this hard drive work. I have no disks (floppy or cd) that came with this computer. Any help to get this going would be much appreciated.

Well, you can go buy an OS for one. Unless the Hard drive came from a computer exactly like the one you're putting it in, or one very simular, there will be all sorts of drive conflicts and it probably won't start at all without re-installing an OS. For now, you can try downloading and burning a Linux Live CD so that you can transfer your files off that Hard Drive and onto a flash drive or other computer though a network.