Am I "silly" to feel more comfortable sticking w/Nvidia?

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I want to get a new GPU for all the new games coming out in the coming months. I know the recommended card right now is the ATI series, and so I was looking at the 4870. For the same price I could also choose the GTX 260.

I have *always* had an nvidia card and I know in the past, its always worked great for me, I've appreciated their good driver support, etc. Something about switching to an ATI/AMD card makes me nervous...

Is that just ridiculous? Is there any reason why I'd want to stick with nvidia and get the GTX 260 next month instead of the ATI 4870?

My only other thought was, the eVGA 90 day step up program and the possibility of nvidia releasing a new card in q4 2008... then I could upgrade to the dx10.1/gddr5/die shrink update...?

Well, i feel kinda the same way for ATI...

I can't blame you, both cards have good strong points wich are important for some.

I can tell you my point of view: I LOVE AVIVO and it's features. The easy TV and Dual displays ATI has in their cards. The image quality and everything related to playback on them. I know nVidia has PureVideoHD but i don't like it. My GF has an nVidia card (7800GS) and i don't like the "feeling" to it when i use it and neither does she (she went from a Radeon 9600SE to the 7800GS, AGP).

I know it has weak points also: Drivers and Linux Support (wich is actually changing). Performance (not price/perf, good old FPS) and some game compatibility issues (CF headaches anyone?).

Well, try to inform yourself about what u're gonna get and those worries should minimize (not disapear imo) and let you have a happy affair with ATI. Focus on a secondary aspect of the card (complex calculation, image quality, scalability, DX support, etc...) and you should have an answer for yourself.

Esop!

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Not at all. Both are great companies, each with their pros and cons. Stick with what you are most comfortable. The differences in performace tend to lean towards ATI at the moment, but that should not justify anyone from changing out of their comfort zone. The same would be true if Nvidia was on top as well.

foxhound009

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
If you really like the whole nvidia feeling, their software support and so on
and it doesn't bother you that much that you can get a slightly/medium
more performance for bit less money you should go for nvidia
I'm not being sarcastic here or anything.

few months ago I thought I was going to get nvidia I thought
it would have better performance/price ratio (since the 8800 gt)
I too was feeling kinda weird by the idea of getting an nvidi card :p
good for me I won't have to change brands.

it's good old ati for me :)

dmplus

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007

+1 +1 +1

The only people who lose are those that are fanboy's and blindly buy based on a brand or "feeling".

In your case both cards are good, but personally I think the ATI card is a little better so i would get that one.

I have owned both brands over the years. I buy the best card for the money period, I don't waste dollars on feelings or good vibes from a company.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I have always driven Fords pick-ups because they have always come through for me. If I went out next year and bought a Chevy because it was a little cheaper and could go a little faster I would be a fool. I'm in the same boat as you and I'm waiting for a GTX260+. Just remember if you buy from Evga now and the new cards are not released until December you're screwed. Until we hear something directly from Nvidia nothing is written in stone about a Q4 release.

themyrmidon

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Operative word being "little". In the case of nV-ATI some loyalty doesn't matter.

If it is like Intel-AMD, though, brand loyalty would royally hold you back.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Choose the card by its usefulness, not by what ppl say.

If the card plays COD4 better than other cards, but sux at Crysis, and you like COD4...Get the COD4 card. Don't just buy cards because it can do a game like Crysis.

Don't get Top of the line if you barely play anything lol. And don't buy just because omg Nvidia or ATI said its the fastest. Research Research Research ppl.

Buying by brand over results, is like buying putting your hand in a bag and just randomly taking stuff out.:D

The 9800 XT looks and sounds like an awesome card! but it plays Doom 3 at just about 30 fps:) (which was awesome for its time though), though I don't see it doing COD4 the way its meant to be seen:D

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
It's not about brand loyalty, I've switched between AMD/Intel etc. But all I know is, nvidia has historically had greater market dominance and excellent drivers and support all across the board. ATI is only slightly up on nvidia right now, and in the long wrong, I wonder if Nvidia would be the better choice because its overall market share/dominance, compatibility/drivers, CUDA, etc. I usually stick with a card for a long time (hence I am just upgrading from a 7800gt that I bought nearly 3 years ago).

I also do a lot of video editing on my system...

As for the evga step up program, I would be buying the card mid September... about a month from today... when new games start showing up... so I'd have until mid December if nvidia refreshed the lineup with a die shrink, gddr5, and dx10.1 .... if they didn't, no biggee, I'd probably end up with a Larabee chip in a year or so anyways, but if they did refresh, it would be nice to spend a little extra and step up at year's end.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Sticking with "Nvidia" is a foolish..

However, buying an Nvidia gpu based on the fact that its an EVGA product is not foolish - they offer excellent services.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
nVidia driver support for their older cards is poor, and their Vista drivers have been quite bad. I got to the point where when my 7900GTX crapped out a little while ago I haven't even bothered to do the RMA yet, its a BFG. Worked fine under XP, but not under Vista. Also keep in mind that to get full HTPC functionality out of nVidia you have to pay extra for the Pure HD driver or whatever they are calling it this week, ATI doesn't gouge you for extra money to use the full functionality of their cards.

Sure seems like it.

But all I know is, nvidia has historically had greater market dominance

Even when they had poorer cards, because people like you are stuck on brand, not performance/utility.

and excellent drivers and support all across the board.

That was then, this is now, and recently there's little difference between the two overall in that area.

I wonder if Nvidia would be the better choice because its overall market share/dominance,

Sure because sellng a ton of GF9300 & 9500 cards matters to your segment choice, right?
It would matter if ATi's install base were as small as S3's, but it's not, and it's not like the FX and GF6800 series where developers had to code for the differences more than the similarities. If left to coding to the default, they'll be fine.

compatibility/drivers, CUDA, etc.

Drivers are a non-issue, and CUDA is something few people need, and those that do know specifically why they do. To most other people it's a Buzz word they heard from someone else, and they mistake the end products with the tool.

I usually stick with a card for a long time (hence I am just upgrading from a 7800gt that I bought nearly 3 years ago).

So you think for the games launched in 2010 and 2011 that the GTX260 will keep pace with the HD4870? Interesting theory.

I also do a lot of video editing on my system...

Which winds up a moot point, both do that very well.

As for the evga step up program, I would be buying the card mid September... about a month from today... when new games start showing up...

What like FarCry2, Warhead, and Fallout3? Unknowns, where the last two's base engine favour the HD4870 right now when you crank settings.
The Step-up program is a good idea, but if the refreshers are as succesful as you're hoping, then they will also cost more, so it's won't be a free upgrade in that case, although it is nice to have the flexability.

so I'd have until mid December if nvidia refreshed the lineup with a die shrink, gddr5, and dx10.1 ....

First of all, not DX10.1, just isn't going to happen, it's a significant redesign for nV, it's not like Ati's tweak to their architecture in the HD2K-3K jump.
GDDR5 is possible, but it likely wouldn't be riding a 448bit memory interface in that case. As for the die shrink it's going to be about yield improvement on the GTX260 replacement, not a huge speed bump, the GTX280's replacement will get the large speed bump.

if they didn't, no biggee, I'd probably end up with a Larabee chip in a year or so anyways,

Interesting how that goes against your "I'm in it for the long haul" statement a few lines up.
Going to Larrabee's not a limitation to either, but your affinity for this unknown but your resistance to a known quantity makes me wonder what the point of this thread was in the first place? :heink:

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I was in the same boat last week. I had always used Nvidia in the past. I was looking to upgrade and decided to take the leap to ATI. I purchased a 4870 last week and have NOT been dissapointed. No issues with drivers or installation. COD4, Mass Effect, Bioshock all look awesome. I can play Crysis at 1680x1050 with all settings on very high (except shadow detail on high) and average 25 fps. I was impressed! I know that isn't perfect, but 25 fps is very playable and it looks great! The lowest the rate dropped was to 18 and that only happened once!

There are several great cards available right now. Whether you choose a 260 or a 4870, I'm sure it will serve you well! Good luck!

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I've used Nvidia and ATI cards and have had positive experiences with both. You're crazy if you decide to buy ATI or Nvidia for some crazy notion of "loyalty".

Nah don't be. it's all about preferences. Nothing wrong with sticking to what works for you. Some people love Asus other people hate them and prefer Gigabyte.

Quad SLi is nice, if you can afford it and have a large enough panel/resolution to truly exploit the benefits. But the diminishing rate of return on adding that 3rd and 4th card make it not so attractive if you use even a semi-critical eye on it. Quadfire is similar, but the scaling and pricing are different.

All depends on the intended us I guess.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
fair response.

I was always afraid of Quad sli, but seeing it for myself....DANGGGGGG!

I thought it would have the problems every1 said it would have, but it didn't lol:D

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
All I have to say, forget all brand loyalty when it comes to computer components NOW and thank me later. I have never owned an ATI card before until recently when my HIS 4870 X2 came in the mail. Since then I have not noticed any differences, except that all of ATI's software actually works on Vista 64-bit, unlike nVidia. My first video card was a nVidia 5200 FX, then a 6600 GT, then a 6600 Ultra, then a 7600 GT, then an 8800 GT, and now finally my ATI 4870 X2. Brand loyalty is totally useless believe me. I have built a good few computers with both ATI and nVidia cards in them and I have never seen ANY thing that indicates that either company is better than the other. Also the 4xxx series will very likely perform better than any series from either company in future games. This is not because of DX10.1, though that helps, the 4870 is just stronger in certain areas that are becoming popular with game designers. Look at GRID, it uses massive amounts of HDR and most new games seem to be following in GRID's wake, and the 4xxx series dominates in GRID. That said, this could all change very suddenly which makes it nearly impossible to really predict what will perform better in the future, though the 4xxx series is showing some real potential. It all depends on what you end up wanting, the step-up program IS a good reason to go with nVidia, if only for EVGA. I say price both of them online and buy whichever is cheapest, it is as simple as that.