Sign in with
Your question

Do you need two 4-pin power connectors for an E-8500?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2008 12:26:57 PM

I have a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard and I am about to hook it up this morning.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

I got a question. This motherboard has an 8-pin CPU molex power connector.

If I am just using a 65 Watt E-8500 processor can I do just fine with a single 4-pin molex power connector hooked up to that 8-pin socket?

Or do I need to have the socket completely full?

From what I understand 8 pin is only for a quad core chip.

This is my first Intel build.
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2008 12:51:52 PM

One 4 pin 12v connector will do fine. Having two would not provide any additional power than 12 volts, just additional ground.
November 3, 2008 12:53:17 PM

You will be ok with a single 4 pin power line to the connector.
Related resources
November 3, 2008 1:35:40 PM

rwayne said:

From what I understand 8 pin is only for a quad core chip.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the MB manual, (I have the UD3P, same board 1 more PCIe slot), the 8 pin was only REQUIRED for Extreme Model CPU's. I have a q6600 using only a 4pin and I have no issues with a 3.4ghz overclock on it.
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2008 1:53:53 PM

Bossboss
My MB manual also states that the 8 pin connector is only need for Processors of 125/130 watts or greater. There is no problem in using a 8 pin (altho the 4 pin is fine)
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2008 11:59:41 AM

Well I used the 8 pin. Any everything turned out alright.

I am kind of disappointed.

I did a build last week with an AMD 64x2 6000 using Windows Vista 64bit and then did this build using an E-8500 Core2Duo on Windows Vista 64bit and I really don't see a huge speed difference.

I was expecting a quantium leap in performance and I don't really see a whole lot of difference.
November 4, 2008 8:44:39 PM

It's because the E8500 isn't very good.

I'd recommend sending to to me, and I'll throw it away for you.

;) 
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2008 4:48:49 AM

rwayne said:
Well I used the 8 pin. Any everything turned out alright.
This question typically gets asked when the PSU only offers the 4-pin cable, which should be fine for processors up to 100W TDP (or even a bit higher). The 8-pin cable starts to be less optional around 130W TDP, but if you already have a PSU with the 8-pin cable, you might as well use it.
Quote:
I was expecting a quantium leap in performance and I don't really see a whole lot of difference.
Nor will you by subjective impressions of OS performance. The X2 6000+ is plenty fast enough for running the OS and many applications. Not even a QX9770 would make basic computing tasks seem faster than a processor that is already fast enough for them. E8500 will be superior in some application types, but you're going to need objective benchmarks for the rest to "see" any difference.

Review sites are prone to exaggerating just how meaningful performance differences are to the user experience. They might make a big deal about an additional 20 fps but tend to gloss over that nobody is going to see any difference between 200 fps and 220 fps. Its like saying an airline passenger is going to notice the difference between 200 MPH and 220 MPH.
!