How to merge two disk partitions in xp

prince777222

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Hello,
I installed ubuntu(linux) in my xp system it asked me to partition the disk with it's inbuilt tool so i partitioned it. the installation also failed. Ihave tried to install the same but every time it fails and when i entered in to xp i found that 60GB of a disk has been turned into 44GB and another disk 50GB another 37GB and only one disk has 60GB of space. i even dont know where they have gone. pls any one help me to solve this problem
-Prince

It looks like Grub or Lilo managed to make the three Partitions so perhaps teh installation failed for a small mark on the CD. If you were using the double sided Ubuntu CD, you may have been trying to put the 64 bit version into a 32 bit syste.

All that said, you can use XPs Disk Management to delete those Partitions and that will make one large one. XP will still only have the same amount of space on its Partition so you might need to move My Documents and pagefile.sys on to the new one.

It's better to persist with Ubuntu then buy a larger disk and clone the whole lot on to the new drive.

prince777222

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Tanks for the reply. i didn't really know thak ubuntu also had 32 and 64bit versions now how to move my Documents and pagefile.sys on to the new one and how th make use of XPs disk management.

You need to start by using Windows Disk Management to format the Partition and give it a drive letter. Moving paefile.sys is done in Control Panel>System>Advanced>VM Settings>Change. Moving My Documents is equally simple but best to follow the instructions in Windows Help and Support or I'll miss Christmas writing it all out. I usually do it manually but the M$ method is the "proper" route.