Nas, how much power for a 8 Terabyte Raid 1

mkyb14

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I'm building a Raid 1 NAS server with potentially, 8 - 1TB edition (WD10EADS)..

ASUS M3A78-T
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION Agena 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Processor
iStarUSA BPU-340SATA Aluminum Black 3 to 4 Bay HDD Hot-Swappable SATA Enclosure

I simply am trying to find out how much power the power supply should have to be ample enough to power it with so many drives...

Any suggestions?

Hovaucf

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
with 8 SATA drives you will probably need about 400W just for them, ofc you can always check their spec's to find out

Wow! Crazy hardware specs for a NAS?! Overkill I say...

Most importantly, what OS are you planning on using for the NAS? You should check out FreeNAS or Openfiler.

Even more importantly, what RAID controller card are you planning on hooking up this 8TB RAID1 array to? I hope you were not planning on using the mobo RAID controller. Check out 3Ware, Areca, or Highpoint controller cards, personally I recommend 3Ware. Regardless of the brand, get a controller card with an onboard proc so the array doesn't bog down the system proc with parity calculations.

Lastly, a quality 450W psu would be more than enough.

mkyb14

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I was looking to use a couple from the Mobo and the rest from Adaptec 5805 8-port Serial ATA/ SAS RAID Controller.

Ubuntu or something close .... I'd want to be able to have my itunes served up, and my movies readily available with as many options for further configuration... maybe a HD tv tuner later...

Overkill, maybe... but as of right now I have about 2.6TB between movies and music collection, and all I have at the moment is just random drives hooked up in a hold tower running my system off an asus a8v deluxe agp ...

Essentially I'm going to put this down stairs with the HDMI hooked up to the HDTV, so that it's out of the bedroom and cooler... the woman doesn't like having a furnace humming in the bed room, and I've been meaning to build a low budget NAS / HTPC for quite a while now.

I'll take a look at the mentioned websites, but anyone else with a suggestion on a RAID Controller card, please let me know what you'd recommend.

So it doesn't matter what PSU? I see the server cases on newegg use a triple 700w redundant power supply ... just making sure I don't go out and buy an ordinary 500-700w with out thinking this through.

Also after looking at the drobo and what the software does, is there anything out there similar to this? or is Ubuntu or freeNAS my best bet for something similar. The option to just plug in the new drives and it automatically formats and re-adjusts the sizes is a good feature... so if I got 2TB to start and continually added a new drive as money becomes available, will it do what the drobo does and add the drive automatically to the RAID ARRAY.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The Server Cases have Double/Triple PSUs to ensure 24/365 Uptime.
I doubt you need that for this system.
An Ordinary PSU will do fine.

With a decent Raid Controller, you don't ned a 140w Quad Core CPU.
In fact, that would be a negative. More Heat would actually make your system less reliable. If you insist on a Phenom, get a low power one.

Be sure to get a decent ATI Card such as the for good decoding.
Perhaps a 3650 or the new 4670

mkyb14

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
the board has a decent video output for hdmi ... but I was looking at the HIS Radeon HD 4850 IceQ 4 TurboX 512MB