Sign in with
Your question

Haha, What the Hell is this?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2008 2:51:48 AM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9963

Ok, I admit that I kind of skipped the whole ATI HD 2xxx series, but come on what is this!? Have any of you heard about this? I can't seem to find much at all on it. Pretty sad when this P.O.S. is about on the level of an 8600 GTS! Some people said the 2900XT was a flop, it does not even compare to this! I really hope that no one bought this thing... oh wait there is a customer review...

On a lighter note,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

It is finally at a price that fits it's performance, too bad the 4850 is out for cheaper!

More about : haha hell

August 21, 2008 3:09:30 AM

Guess it would be OK if you needed to hook up 4 monitors for something like graphic arts or the like. Maybe even a cheap way to do a commercial display system with 4 monitors all showing different things?

Can't imagine it is REALLY for gaming.
August 21, 2008 3:11:06 AM

That thing could barely run 1 24" monitor let alone 4!!!
Related resources
August 21, 2008 3:12:39 AM

interesting concept though
August 21, 2008 3:13:14 AM

Just do CrossFire instead.

I bet this is just another market scheme to draw in "unsuspecting" buyers, much like the 1GB variants those 2600XT comes with.
August 21, 2008 3:13:24 AM

If you have the money for 4 monitors than you can afford a bit better video card and get 2, that thing wouldn't handle 4 monitors well.
August 21, 2008 3:16:55 AM

I honestly could not believe it when I saw it! Then I read a review and it killed me to see that some one actually BOUGHT it and is complaining about DRIVER ISSUES, and not the huge amount of money he/she wasted...
August 21, 2008 3:26:40 AM

At least it has lots of bling.
August 21, 2008 3:28:11 AM

Ha, the only thing it is good for is putting it on a chain and wearing it as a necklace!
August 21, 2008 4:15:38 AM

When I built gaming machines when I worked for a smaller city shop, I consistantly had people asking for the 2600 and 8600, not the 2900 and the 8800. It's all about the marketing. Anyone who knows just enough to make poor decisions has seen both companies marketing and heard the word of mouth of what everyone else has, and says "I'll have one of them". Then when the same card comes along with two fans and twice the price, you can be sure the braggarts would jump on it like a cat chasing a butterfly; Letting all the performance slip between their paws.
(I also consistantly talked people out of making poor disicions on graphics and processing power. You would'nt believe how many people think the celeron is one of the top processors on the market.)
August 21, 2008 11:08:10 AM

ovaltineplease said:
At least it has lots of bling.

"I am Rich" by Iphone rings a bell. I guess it was a good way to dump all those unused chips. If the 4870x2 is a monster a 2600XTx2 much just be a little worse. It is a XT and a x2 in the same package. Cowabunga !!!

You gotta love Joe Consumer.
August 21, 2008 1:33:20 PM

That card is an utter abomination. I can't say I'm quite surprised, though... It's just a pair of 512MB 2600 XTs on a single board.

There's gotta be cheaper ways to run four displays on a single machine... For most, of course, I recall a x4 PCI-e slot is acceptable for using a video card for 2D purposes. You never needed SLi/CrossFire to use multiple cards, after all; just to use multiple cards all for the same display.

Or of course, failing all that, one could just get one of those dongle things that Matrox makes, and then you'd be playing with hardware by the finest maker of graphics equipment ever to exist. :sol: 
August 21, 2008 1:39:39 PM

nottheking said:

Or of course, failing all that, one could just get one of those dongle things that Matrox makes, and then you'd be playing with hardware by the finest maker of graphics equipment ever to exist. :sol: 

I miss that Matrox isn't in the race no more. Although their "new" products are pretty good for some type of work/productivity. And they launched pretty solid products at the time. M3D, Millenium ,G4xx line, even the Parhelia was good card for video and photo when it came out.

For us, well, they are worthless.

PowerVR is Dead, long live DirectX !!!
August 21, 2008 2:26:28 PM

curnel_D said:
When I built gaming machines when I worked for a smaller city shop, I consistantly had people asking for the 2600 and 8600, not the 2900 and the 8800. It's all about the marketing. Anyone who knows just enough to make poor decisions has seen both companies marketing and heard the word of mouth of what everyone else has, and says "I'll have one of them". Then when the same card comes along with two fans and twice the price, you can be sure the braggarts would jump on it like a cat chasing a butterfly; Letting all the performance slip between their paws.
(I also consistantly talked people out of making poor disicions on graphics and processing power. You would'nt believe how many people think the celeron is one of the top processors on the market.)

Since I build computers for people more as a hobbie than anything, though I am still amazed how I seem to build atleast 1 a week, this might not work for those who are a little more serious. When some one starts arguing with me about a computer component then I show them why I believe it is the best choice. If they continue then I tell them "If you know so much, then build it yourself" Only once has some one taken me up on the offer and I got a call a few days later because he royally screwed it up. :kaola: 
August 22, 2008 3:53:22 PM

Oh. My. God.

i kind of want to see some benchies and compare them to cards of the same price. hehehe.
!