Your question

P4 3.4Ghz in Q35 mobo won't boot, swapped in for C2D 2.4GHz

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
October 5, 2008 1:25:35 AM

Hi all, this is my first post so I really appreciate all of the help and I can't tell you how much I've benefitted from the things I've read while lurking here over the last few days. Now, on to the show...

I have an HP workstation with a Q35 based mother board that had a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo in it (E6550), and I wanted to put the processor into my new rig, but still want to use the old comp. I have a Cedar Mill core Pentium 4 3.4GHz HT that's also socket 775 and I thought I'd just stick that in the HP since it doesn't need the better processor. Now, when I try to boot the HP, I get a couple of beeps and the fan just goes on overdrive and stays that way until I shut the thing off, but it never boots.

What's weird is that I can stick the Core 2 Duo back in and everything boots up just fine, but the thing just hates on that P4 like no tomorrow. Now I've used the P4 in my new rig just to make sure it wasn't shot, and it works like a charm. It's just in that workstation with the Q35 mother board that I'm getting nowhere. Any thoughts?

More about : 4ghz q35 mobo boot swapped c2d 4ghz

a c 127 à CPUs
October 5, 2008 2:26:45 AM

Do you know your specific workstation model? That will help a lot.

To be honest since its the Q35 series which was specifically designed for C2D CPUs it may not be able to support tha P4 you have because of the higher voltage required.

But get me your workstation model number and I will confirm that for you.
October 5, 2008 5:14:13 AM

It's a dc7800.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 5, 2008 5:26:04 AM

Yeah,it sounds like a voltage issue.
a c 127 à CPUs
October 5, 2008 7:53:32 AM

jaragon13 said:
Yeah,it sounds like a voltage issue.

I agree it seems like that and the 3 series chipset was specifically designed for Core 2 but my P35 modo supports every LGA 775 CPU out from the very first to the newest ones.

I am checking your workstation info now, should be able to find you a CPU support list to see if that specific CPU is truly supported.
a c 127 à CPUs
October 5, 2008 8:08:02 AM

Well I wasn't able to find a sepcific CPu support list for your mobo, HP is very annoying about that but it seems like it follows the Intel mobo path and only supports Conroe based CPUs. So it will work with a Celeron, Pentium Dual Core, C2D or C2Q but it will not work with a Pentium 4 due to no code in the BIOS and it probably cannot regulate the CPU voltage correctly.

So sorry man it looks like you will have to get a different CPU for that. You could get a Pentium DC for about $70 bucks that will perform near if not better than that Pentium 4 will.
October 5, 2008 2:19:21 PM

No worries! In some ways its almost a relief because I can't fumble around with bios updates or fiddle with anything else. The finality of "it won't work" can be liberating. The good news is that I think there's a Celeron processor around here somewhere that I think I might try to stick in there just to get it limping along. Thanks for all of the help, especially to you, jimmysmitty. I am in your debt!
!