Computer powering on & off repeatedly. Please advise!

monique206

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hello - I built a computer about two years ago - we had a power outage, and it was dead for six months.. I finally got around to cracking open the case to figure out whats wrong.

My first thought was the power supply unit. So i bought a new one, installed it - the machine would power up - lights/fans running... but would not post. The monitor didn't even get a signal. So my second thought was the motherboard. I switched that out and now have the following:

Intel Pentium D 805
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3r mobo
680W PSU
2 gigs of corsair DDRII
ATI Radeon x1300 PCIE 256MB
2 IDE hard drives
dvd rw drive

I was also running the stock fan and heatsink in the original configuration - and after switching the psu, lights/fans ran but as i said no post. After installing the new gigabyte board, i re-seated the heatsink and fan... this time, the computer would turn on for about three seconds, then turn off for three seconds. it did this repeatedly.

So My next thought was - it's the heatsink and fan.. maybe the cpu is overheating and it's shutting down. So.. I bought a fancy new heatsink/fan and installed it. It did the same as before, except faster.. on, off, on, off in rapid succession. I didnt forget to apply thermal compound.

I double checked to make sure CPU was seated properly, reseated heatsink/fan - I made sure no screws were in the case - this time nothing. Wouldn't even power on. I talked to gigabyte tech support - they said take out the 8pin power connecter and see if it comes on - this would narrow it down to the motherboard or the cpu. I tried that... to no avail.

Finally I exchange the PSU and MOBO for a new set ^_^ and tried again. It is doing the on, off, on, off again... every three seconds. I don't want to mess around with it too much again without knowing how to proceed - not sure if Frye's will let me get away with that exchange deal twice.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I don't know what to do next and I don't know if my CPU is faulty - thanks in advance for your help.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
part it out and sell parts on ebay is the best advice put the hdd in a new machine

power on and off - you make little mention of the actual problem?

the power outage might have just pushed a bad part over the edge

disconntect all parts accept neededto get a signal then reconnect one at a time

monique206

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Re: Ram & CPU probably fried -
Thanks, I think I'll buy more ram and try it out - if thats not the problem, it won't go to waste since I'm planning to build another system for my boyfriend.

And.. if that isn't it - then I will HOPE it's the CPU at that point... b/c at least that would make sense. Don't want to end up replacing everything and still have the problem - that would drive me crazy.

Thanks Guys
-M