Sign in with
Your question

E6300 Overclocked. now what?

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 9:13:37 PM

Usual student sob-story im afraid, tight budget so cobbled together as much as i could for the new pc (which wasnt much), and thought I would try to OC it to give it some bang for the buck. So far, so good.

So on my E6300, i managed to pump up the FSB to 330MHz - so at 10.5, this gave me c.3.5Ghz on the processor at about 44c max (whilst using Prime95). Volatage was 1.208.

This in of it self didnt really improve performance somehow, and windows score just went up by 0.1 (from 6.3 to 6.4), so not much at all.

I've since tried the following:

increasing the voltage - gives me a BSD
increasing ram clock speed - crashes the computer
FSB strap to northbridge @ 400Mhz - appears not have any effect?

The thing is, this processor doesnt seem to have much on the internet about OCing it, just fleeting mentions here or there stating it has been done..

I guess im missing some vital point here, because for the life of me i cant see any improvement in performance. would anybody be kind enough to point out what that is?

Many thanks!

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL Pro
Ram: DDR2 Crucial Ballistix 800Mhz

More about : e6300 overclocked

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 10:21:13 PM

Windows Index is not a good indicator of system performance. If your drive is slow, it doesn't matter how fast your processor is, your score will be set to the slowest rated item.

Typically you won't see much difference doing day to day tasks, from a 2.8ghz to a 3.5ghz.

If anything, you need to lower your RAM speed, to give you more head room into overclocking.

As always, test for stability.

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 10:46:22 PM

That is an over 50% overclock - nothing to be ashamed about. The only time you will see a difference in performance is during CPU intensive things such as gaming or video processing.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2009 11:15:07 PM

the score in windows is just for the processor, not the overall score (which is 3.5!).

do i need to up the vcore voltage or do something to the RAM, i have the feeling there is a bottleneck somehwhere- there is no appreciable change in performance, even though the processor is now running at a substantially higher clock speed...

flyin - why would one want to underclock the RAM? not sure i follow

am i missing something here?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 12:44:14 PM

At 330 bus speed(1320 FSB) your ram is hitting around 1000mhz, if you did not lower your ram ratio. That is around what typical 800mhz rated ram can overclock to.

Even if Tom's said they could OC Ballistixs to 1066mhz, it doesn't mean that your's will.

You want to eliminate causes of the instability, so lowering your ram will help isolate the exact cause.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 5:10:11 PM

ah ok, i understand. thanks!
i guess then the question that is still bothering me is that the imporovement in system perforance is quite underwhelming. is there anything other than the FSB change that i need to do to start seeing my processor being quicker (even if that is strictly at the expense of its longevity?)

thanks!
February 24, 2010 4:05:08 PM

Quote:
ah ok, i understand. thanks!
i guess then the question that is still bothering me is that the imporovement in system perforance is quite underwhelming. is there anything other than the FSB change that i need to do to start seeing my processor being quicker (even if that is strictly at the expense of its longevity?)

thanks!

What kind of HD do you have?
!