Heavy Mineral Oil on CPU

_syn

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
No, I did not do it on purpose. Let me explain. I was just building my first system with the help of a friend. When we were about to clean the CPU off before putting the Heatsink I went and got some isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface. Well, I didn't know at the time, but it was Mineral Oil, the bottles looked the same. Anyway, we didn't realize that and after waiting for so long for the liquid to evaporate, we decided just to wipe it off with a Kleenex thoroughly. Now did everything else, computer worked, installed drivers and program. Then I realize after playing a game I just installed that the cpu temps are 100ish. I was like, what the hell. That is when I realized that was Mineral Oil I used.... Now, I hope I didn't damage the cpu...

Anyway, I guess I have to go buy some thermal paste and remove the Heatsink and put it back. I just want to make sure to do it right this time.

Should I clean it off with REAL isopropyl alcohol? What about the thermal paste, any suggestion on a brand? Is my CPU effectively finished even if I could still use the computer(I heard a 80ish is too much, 100 must have fried it, no?)?

Any help is really appreciated!

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
If it still worked,chances are it hasn't fried yet.

Just be more careful next time,and yes,use isopropyl alcohol.
I recommend using Arctic Silver 5 for thermal grease.

_syn

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I am gonna go buy some Arctic Silver 5. I looked at many sites on how to apply it and see different ways of it being done. Arctic's official directions say to put a thin line in the middle of the cpu (http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf). Some other use a plastic or their fingers covered in a plastic bag to spread the compound over the CPU. Some say to also add a dab of it on the heatsink side to reduce bubbles.

I am wondering what is the best option in from your experiences?

_syn

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Ok, so I got myself some Arctic Silver 5. Now just to know, do I spread like I would with a peanut butter on a toast or do a single line and let the squishing HS spread it all over. I don't care about wasting some grease, I just want to make sure that I have the best contact possible.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can submerge your entire motherboard, CPU, and power supply in mineral oil with no ill effects. People make oil-cooled computers, in fact. You don't have anything to worry about. See http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php for more info.

Submerged002.jpg

_syn

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Nice to know that mineral oil won't damage my system. Though I would not suggest to put some on a CPU before putting on the heatsink. :)

Anyway, update time. So I removed the heatsink from the CPU. Then cleaned off both of them with 99% isopropyl alcohol using Q-tips to scrub. Then I used a coffee filter to clean it some last time. I applied the Arctic Silver 5 per instruction on the official site(link previously). Put the heatsink back. Ran the computer. My core temp on idle is now 46 and 43. While the highest I got it up to is 60. Way better then the 64 to 103 I had before. :D

Thanks for the help everyone. :)