Can Raid 0 2 drives and Single Drive Be Done

davidmp

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Have new system with ASUS P6X58D Premium using Win 7 Ultimate and wanted to setup WD 300 Velociraptor as main OS drive and 2 74GB Raptors in a Raid 0 at the same time. Is this possible? I read I can do Raid 5 but dont all three drives have to be the same size to do this and all the Sata standard?

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
you can raid 0 all three drives together with the intel raid controlloer, but you will not be able to use the space on that 300GB drive past the first 74 GB. Probably best to just raid the two 74 GB ones and then use the 300 GB as a backup for your data in case of the raid 0 failure. I have no idea how the three disk raid 0 with th raptors affects performance, but I would say its probably not optimal.

Good luck.

davidmp

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
That is what I was leaning towards. But i dont think the performance increase (if there is really any) is worth Raid 0 for both 74 Gig Raptors. Did that and lost MB on old system and cant read data of the Raptors now. I am past trying to build the fastest machine and just want something fast enough and reliable.

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Good idea. If you want fast disk, save for SSD I always say. I use RAID to save save me the time in case I lose a disk. I could care less about the speed. Anything I cant stand to lose also resides outside the computer and disconnected unless I'm backing up.