Max operating temp of phenom 550

Roman5

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
If CPU temp in bios reads 46C, core temp reads 32C and maximum specified operating temp of processor is 70C, then which is the one that shouldn't go to 70C? Bios CPU reading, or core temp? Because if I unlock my cores, I won't be able to read the core temps any more. Many thanks.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
From my humble surfing, it seems that Core Temp is the one that matters. I haven't had the unfortunate experience of burning out any CPUs, so I can't say for sure, but the gurus always seem to point to the core temp being the one to go by.

Roman5

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Ok, thanks. What I don't get though is why some people have their core temp higher than their cpu temp, and others like me have it the other way around.
Why would that be?

Roman5

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Well now you're added to my growing list of people I've come across who all have lower core temps than cpu temps. This phenomenon seems to be an AMD thing, so can I assume you have an AMD processor?

This is what I've learnt so far from someone on another board, and I quote,

"Its an AMD thing, they have always been offset by about 10C. Socket temp is always higher then the core temp, its reading the temp of the cpu under the processor and they offset the temp by 10-15C depending on the manufacture of the motherboard. The actual sensor has had no use since the old socket A days when there was no core sensors. But its still there for the cpu protection part of the bios since the bios cant read the core sensors. A good example is my m2n-sli deluxe board with my x2 6400+.. the cpu sensor on the motherboard shows it running at 63C but the actual core temps are 53/54C."

I don't understand what he means by offsetting the temperature, but I'll take his word for it.