Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem on adjust the 4870x2 Fan Speed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 21, 2008 4:12:50 AM

I follow the previous post in this forum to adjust some of my 4870s and 4850 and they works well. However I encountered problem on adjust the Fan speed to higher percentage when I installed a 4870x2 on one of my system. After I modified my profile of the Catalyst Control Center, nothing happen after I reboot my computer. My CCC is always unlocked the overdrive lock coz I like to overclock my VGA card. :D 

The idle temperature 70 degres Cel and full load temp around 85 degree cel for VGA is too high for me, so I temporary take away my 4870x2 from my computer.

Is there any buddies know what is going on for nothing happen on modifying the CCC profile? My steps are

1) Close the CCC.
2) Go to the folder contains the CCC profile.
3) Use Notepad to modify the fan speed.
4) Save the file.
5) Reboot my computer.

Looking for the help

Last Updated: High buddies,

I will temporary use the new ATI Tray tool V1.5.8 for fan speed control. If anybody with same problem on use CCC profile, it is considerable to try this tool.
http://www.expreview.com/img/software/0808/attsetup.exe

Thanks for the reply from Abyss and associate.

August 21, 2008 4:20:34 AM

Did you unlock ati overdrive? my fan speeds in my profiles wouldnt work til i did that
August 21, 2008 4:54:00 AM

the associate said:
Did you unlock ati overdrive? my fan speeds in my profiles wouldnt work til i did that


Yes, I unlocked the overdrive lock.
Related resources
August 21, 2008 12:25:30 PM

Crazy-PC said:
I follow the previous post in this forum to adjust some of my 4870s and 4850 and they works well. However I encountered problem on adjust the Fan speed to higher percentage when I installed a 4870x2 on one of my system. After I modified my profile of the Catalyst Control Center, nothing happen after I reboot my computer. My CCC is always unlocked the overdrive lock coz I like to overclock my VGA card. :D 

The idle temperature 70 degres Cel and full load temp around 85 degree cel for VGA is too high for me, so I temporary take away my 4870x2 from my computer.

Is there any buddies know what is going on for nothing happen on modifying the CCC profile? My steps are

1) Close the CCC.
2) Go to the folder contains the CCC profile.
3) Use Notepad to modify the fan speed.
4) Save the file.
5) Reboot my computer.

Looking for the help


1 - create and save new profile in CCC
2 - (no need to close CCC) open the profile in notepad
3 - makes the necessary changes (change Automatic to Manual, set your fan speed)
4 - save and close
5 - switch to CCC - reload the profile
6 - put on some ear mufflers if you set the fans speed any higher than 30%.
August 21, 2008 12:34:06 PM

is the fan on the X2 really that loud?louder then 3870X2?
August 21, 2008 5:21:55 PM

The_Abyss said:
1 - create and save new profile in CCC
2 - (no need to close CCC) open the profile in notepad
3 - makes the necessary changes (change Automatic to Manual, set your fan speed)
4 - save and close
5 - switch to CCC - reload the profile
6 - put on some ear mufflers if you set the fans speed any higher than 30%.


I check with the GPU-Z 0.2.7 and show the fan speed percent is low and the VGA temperature is high. Is it due to GPU-Z 0.2.7 problem?
August 21, 2008 6:16:56 PM

iluvgillgill said:
is the fan on the X2 really that loud?louder then 3870X2?


Sorry, I don't have 3870x2 so I cannot compare it. The fan noise of 4870x2 is almost the same as 4870 so setting to 40~45% of total speed would be still acceptable.

August 21, 2008 8:01:06 PM

how loud would it equal to if fan set at 100%? as loud as coffee bean grinder?
August 22, 2008 12:46:54 AM

I downloaded something called EXPERTool ATI (found it in another forum and looks to be widely available via google).

It's a graphical interface with radio button to switch back to automatic control, or pick a speed in manual mode. Auto is quiet, but runs 80+C (tends to run about 25% speed). Manual 50% gets the temp down to ~55C. Manual 100% is louder. It reminds me of the sound my microwave makes when running. ;) 

August 22, 2008 8:09:40 AM

i guess its good for winter!:p 
August 27, 2008 7:54:48 PM

WHen the computer boots up, the card fires the fan at 100%...and , then lowers to default speed when windows loads. But yeah, i don't think as loud as a coffe grinder, but i'd defineltyy say as loud as a hairdryer on low setting. That's pretty damn loud.

With my Hd 3870s in crossfire, the temps were a problem (no crashing, just preference avg 80) but the cards were very quiet. THis sucker is loud.

Another thought...it would be hard to compare 3870X2 and 4870X2 fan Noise because the 3870X2 had different Fan Styles on different models, all 4870X2s have the same stock fan style.

When Zalman makes the aftermarket cooler, that thing is going to fly off the shelves!



Hasn't really impressed me yet.
August 28, 2008 10:10:37 AM

As someone else has already pointed out your step by step is missing the final step where you enable your custom profile.
That is in CCC advanced view click the profiles tab and choose your custom profile from the drop down menu.

As for GPUz displaying the speed my experience has been that it won't display the correct fan speed % but it will display the correct rpm's.
August 28, 2008 4:24:39 PM

Before you can just enable the new custom profile you have to edit the programing of the profile. That's the part I'm stuck on. I can't find the correct folder.

But, let's say I set the fan to 'manual' and leave it at 40%. Won't the card over heat? The card heats up to 80c when in 3dMark06 and that's with the card Blazin' in speed. I'm not just making this stuff up.

Is there any type of Real Time temp measurement application that can be used while gaming?
August 28, 2008 6:39:04 PM

texasreefer said:
Before you can just enable the new custom profile you have to edit the programing of the profile. That's the part I'm stuck on. I can't find the correct folder.

But, let's say I set the fan to 'manual' and leave it at 40%. Won't the card over heat? The card heats up to 80c when in 3dMark06 and that's with the card Blazin' in speed. I'm not just making this stuff up.

Is there any type of Real Time temp measurement application that can be used while gaming?


Correct Folder:You will need to "Show hidden Folders" Control Panel, Folder Options, Click the View tab, Click Show hidden files and folders,

I believe that step may have been missing from the guide posted in this forum. Here is a better guide:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1337485

Real time monitoring: CCC isn't bad, it will monitor GPU1 which is the hotter of the two. For more information download GPU-Z 0.2.7. Run this and click on the sensors tab and then check the box beside, "Continue refreshing this screen while GPU-Z is in the background." At the bottom is a dropdown where you can select gpu1 pr gpu2. You can run two instances of GPU-Z with each one selected to monitor both at once.

My own experience is that 40-45% is fast enough under load but there a lot of variables, (ambient temp., case, application, dust accumulation etc.).
August 31, 2008 2:05:19 AM

THanks...will try and tweak. For now I have just been trying to optimize my Drivers.

I am hitting higher 3dmark06 scores with 8.6(8.52) than with 8.8 (8.54) 19.8k vs 17.9k

To quiet down the beast I have molded Aluminum Foil to make an exhaust pipe that goes back and away from my me and it is working pretty good. I also added a PCI fan to help with the heat, I Idle at 48c but Load at 80c.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
!