HD 4870 crossfire vs. GTX 260 SLI

I can't decided whether to go with a couple gtx 260's in SLI or a couple HD 4870's in crossfire. I've found some benchmarks for crossfire but I can't find anything for 260's in SLI. Any recommendations (benchmarks would be appreciated)?
11 answers Last reply
More about 4870 crossfire
  1. The ball can go either way:P

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/gpu_displays/xfx_gtx_260_xxx_sli_performance/7

depends on the game. I personally would go with 4870 Xfire because A) DX 10.1 55nm B) X motherboards are alot less buggier than SLi chipsets C) CrossX is liked a little more by games:)

But thats my opinion!

I'll see if I can find more reviews
  2. alright, thanks, that helps a lot
  3. Why not to go 4870x2 if you want to CF 2 4870 anyway ?
    Its as good as 2x4870 or better with no limitation on mainboard and 2x1GB ram on 4870x2 is better then 512 whitch most 4870 have.
  4. The benches have been out for a while now.
    For the same money.. Maybe a little more or a little less you can have the 4870 X2...
    You dont need to upgrade the motherboard or the PSU (assuming you have a good one).
    This card destroys right now it it will remain top of the line for a while.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102768
  5. I would go with the x2 but I just don't have the money to buy that on top of a new system. I was planning on getting either the hd 4870 or gtx 260 and then getting another in a few months when I've got some more cash. Of course, if I do end up having enough money, I might just go with the x2.
  6. Borrow/Beg/Steal the extra $250, or find that credit card... :p
  7. 4870 card by itself is enough performance for most games, and as long as AA is off the performance is the same as the X2.
  8. Both will perform on par so which ever option is cheaper. sli/cf both have strength and weakness. Check out what games you play and which setup does better(will perform close though.) I enjoy crysis so sli was the route i choose. Good luck! =]
  9. swampthug said:
    I would go with the x2 but I just don't have the money to buy that on top of a new system. I was planning on getting either the hd 4870 or gtx 260 and then getting another in a few months when I've got some more cash. Of course, if I do end up having enough money, I might just go with the x2.

That is exactly what I did when I built my PC. I purchased one HD4870 1GB and than couple of months later I got myself a second hd4870 1GB.
    It's a great combo and it works flawlessly.

Cheers
  10. That is the right way to do it (as you may find that 1 4870 is enough for you). Be sure to get the 1GB version though (especially if you plan to crossfire later on).

Edit: This thread was long dead. Be more careful next time (you tricked me).
  11. Yeah I just saw that... Why do you resurrect a year old thread....?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Crossfire HD SLI Graphics Product