Best Ram for my SkullTrail

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Sorry, I posted this in New System Builds by Mistake:

The price of DDR2 FB-Dimms has fallen dramatically and I am thinking about buying 16 Gigs for my SkullTrail Board. I was just going to pick up the G.Skill 4x4 package but I figured I had better run it by Tom's before spending that kind of money. Let me know what you think:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231183
20-231-183-03.jpg

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
It might be helpful to us if you could list some specs and your uses for the system. Do you OC, and to what extreme?

I'd say that seems like a lot to spend, but then again, you have a really expensive mobo, and my guess GPUs and CPUs as well.

Considering my experience with the Skulltrail format :lol: and my equal inexperience applying 16Gbs of RAM on my systems and then when factoring in that 16GB kit is single choice availabale at newegg...I must admit it would be only poor judgement and blind ambition on my part to offer any constructive opinion. I would mention, I could express an emphasised example of my rectitude and offer an opinion as to what problems you will likely experience with system stability, but I'll keep it to myself. To give you an idea, I have a great idea for a budget build, but it's too late to explain, and I might add, how selfishness is not a virtue, but poor judgement and blind ambition are. :heink:

On a slightly more serious note :sarcastic: , I would like to ask. How many systems have you built personally. How much experience do you have building systems? Have you emailed G. Skill and asked their tech support about how the RAM would potentially respond on your MB? They may draw a blank, but who knows...perhaps someone at GS tech support has some test data available. Maybe not. BTW, the last post I replid to with a Forumz member using the Skultrail based system had considerable system building experience and a plethra of stability/OC problems. What do I know. :sol:

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

That is unbuffered memory, not FB-DIMMs. Newegg's FB-DIMMs are categorized under Server Memory, not Desktop Memory.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

Thank you for pointing out my retardation, I thought it was FB-DIMM. I got sooooo excited for no reason! Back to Server Memory for $100 a Gig Ram.