Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best CPU for old motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 5, 2008 12:17:32 PM

I have a HP Media Center PC m7360n http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00... and I want to know what would be the
best possible CPU upgrade for my motherboard.

Although I already know that any Core 2 Duo (e4300+) is incompatible with my motherboard, I wasn't sure if any of the Pentium Dual Core
Processors (e2140-e2220, e5200) were compatible due to the lack of information on the website http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=888212...


I'm not planning to buy a whole new computer, or get a new motherboard. I'm just tryin to see how much juice I could squeeze out of my mobo. I already understand that it is old. =(

I have heard that someone had successfully installed an E6400 on an Asus P5lP-LE (which is the one I have) and had no problems. Unfortunately i forgot the source.

Another thing I noticed is my motherboard website said the maximum FSB for my motherboard is 1066 mhz. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...
But there are no CPU's that are compatible with my chipset thats 1066 mhz http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyID=1
Maybe the 1066 mhz on the hp website is irrelevent to what Im lookin for. If so please correct me.

Are there any other possible CPU upgrades for my mobo that isn't a Pentium D series, or has a 1066 mhz fsb that fits into my chipset?

Any help would be much appreciated.

The features of my current CPU is found here http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=868123...


Here are my specs:

HP Media Center PC m7360n
PentiumD 820 (P) DC 2.8 GHz
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775

Chipset: Intel 945P

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Emery-UL8E

NVIDIA XFX GTX 260 896MB

Buffalo 4GB DDR2 RAM

More about : cpu motherboard

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2008 1:08:57 PM

Pentium Dual-Core uses the same cores as some Core 2 Duos! Furthermore, HP says that certain Core 2 Duos are compatible:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

I would stand by HP's compatibility list, as HP BIOS likely won't support any variations on the same technology.
October 5, 2008 2:10:57 PM

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed to know. Now I have one particular CPU in mind:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=87660E&vpn=BX805...

Do you think this one would work? You mentioned that I should stand by HP's compatibility list, so I chose a E6000 series CPU with a variable in the first zero, in which I found the E6700, but does it matter? Can I jump the gun and go for the E6850?

Another thing that I want to mention is that the CPU support list in the HP website you posted says its for the Leonite-GL8E, which I have an Emery-UL8E. I'm assuming it doesn't matter, does it?

Please excuse my noobiness.
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
a b α HP
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 5, 2008 2:59:38 PM

The price for that 6700 is pretty high. I would try a 2200 or used version of the 6xxx. One fellow at anandtech's for sale section had a 6300 for $75; another had a 6700 for around $100. But I don't know if they can ship to Canada.
a c 113 à CPUs
a b α HP
a c 233 V Motherboard
October 5, 2008 3:08:53 PM

The motherboard does matter. According to HP, the Emery-UL8E Supports the following processors:
- Pentium D 800 series (Smithfield)
- Pentium 4 600 series (Prescott)
- Pentium 4 HT (Prescott)

Nowhere does it mention support for Core 2 CPUs.
a c 159 à CPUs
a b α HP
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 5, 2008 9:33:59 PM

If you can change a motherboard, and your current board is micro-atx, an asrock g43 fullhd might fit your hp case. I tried all my compaq presario connections recently with this board, and they all fit. My compaq came with an msi board with hp logo, but the asrock board has a newer chipset which will work with any core2 duo, including the newest ones.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2008 10:33:00 PM

GhislainG said:
The motherboard does matter. According to HP, the Emery-UL8E Supports the following processors:
- Pentium D 800 series (Smithfield)
- Pentium 4 600 series (Prescott)
- Pentium 4 HT (Prescott)

Nowhere does it mention support for Core 2 CPUs.


Great catch, it looks like HP has at least two versions of the P5LP-LE, one called the Leonite and the other called the Emery. It appeards the Leonite supports the Core 2, while the Emery does not. Since the original poster has an emery board (pun) he doesn't support Core 2!

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
September 13, 2009 9:53:28 PM

I am trying to upgrade my CPU also. I am finding three versions of the P5LP-LE mob. There are the Leonite, the Emery and the Limestone. There are two different chipsets also (which makes a difference) the 945P and the 945G. I'm not quite that Knowledgeable on this yet but I am starting to think about looking into the BIOS also. The Leonite mob is the one that shows Core 2 duo E6x00 compatabilities. If anyne has more info. I am interested as I too would like to upgrade to the E6700.
September 13, 2009 9:56:22 PM

Necro much?
August 28, 2011 5:59:08 AM

GhislainG said:
The motherboard does matter. According to HP, the Emery-UL8E Supports the following processors:
- Pentium D 800 series (Smithfield)
- Pentium 4 600 series (Prescott)
- Pentium 4 HT (Prescott)

Nowhere does it mention support for Core 2 CPUs.


OK, I just fixed a customers computer and purchased a Pentium D 840, I took out the old processor and it had a Pentium D 930 in it. I will check to see if its using all 4M of cache. I have to go back and put this one back in now as it is better then the 840! This is the customers original configs from HP too. I guess they can use higher processors even though it states it won't!
August 28, 2011 6:00:06 AM

Crashman said:
Great catch, it looks like HP has at least two versions of the P5LP-LE, one called the Leonite and the other called the Emery. It appeards the Leonite supports the Core 2, while the Emery does not. Since the original poster has an emery board (pun) he doesn't support Core 2!

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...


OK, I just fixed a customers computer and purchased a Pentium D 840, I took out the old processor and it had a Pentium D 930 in it. I will check to see if its using all 4M of cache. I have to go back and put this one back in now as it is better then the 840! This is the customers original configs from HP too. I guess they can use higher processors even though it states it won't!
November 1, 2011 11:48:23 PM

I am also using P5LP-LE (Emery) and am looking for my choices to either upgrade my cpu or just buy a new mobo and cpu. Any updates on your upgrade jusejamez?
November 6, 2011 2:52:34 PM

Yeah, The customer didn't want me to put the old processor back in no matter how hard I explained. He said since the other one was 3.0ghz and this one was 3.2ghz he wanted the new one to stay in. I explained cache difference, (4vs2) but he would not budge. Customer ended up buying a new computer later on. If you are using any type of CAD software or a high end web browser, I would say look to see what kind of videocard you can get for it at a reasonable price. I think its pci express. Try to get GDDR5. with at least 256 bit bus.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2011 5:11:01 PM

jusejamez said:
OK, I just fixed a customers computer and purchased a Pentium D 840, I took out the old processor and it had a Pentium D 930 in it. I will check to see if its using all 4M of cache. I have to go back and put this one back in now as it is better then the 840! This is the customers original configs from HP too. I guess they can use higher processors even though it states it won't!
That's a complete diversion.

It's irrelevant to the topic.

It will definately confuse newbies.

Pentium 4 boards support Pentium 4 processors, Core 2 boards support Core 2 processors, and a bunch of boards in the middle supported both. Pentium D is a dual-core Pentium 4.

You put a Pentium D into a Pentium D board, congratulations.

He was asking about putting a Core 2 into it, which wouldn't work.

Regarding these two topics (Yours and His), as the song says "you've got to keep 'em separated".
March 27, 2013 10:54:18 AM

GhislainG said:
The motherboard does matter. According to HP, the Emery-UL8E Supports the following processors:
- Pentium D 800 series (Smithfield)
- Pentium 4 600 series (Prescott)
- Pentium 4 HT (Prescott)

Nowhere does it mention support for Core 2 CPUs.


March 27, 2013 10:56:55 AM

I have an asus P-5lp-le Emery ul8E. HP said I have a Pentium D 930
It would appear you could go up to this.
November 23, 2013 1:30:43 PM

dotamastaa said:
I have a HP Media Center PC m7360n http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00... and I want to know what would be the
best possible CPU upgrade for my motherboard.

Although I already know that any Core 2 Duo (e4300+) is incompatible with my motherboard, I wasn't sure if any of the Pentium Dual Core
Processors (e2140-e2220, e5200) were compatible due to the lack of information on the website http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=888212...


I'm not planning to buy a whole new computer, or get a new motherboard. I'm just tryin to see how much juice I could squeeze out of my mobo. I already understand that it is old. =(

I have heard that someone had successfully installed an E6400 on an Asus P5lP-LE (which is the one I have) and had no problems. Unfortunately i forgot the source.

Another thing I noticed is my motherboard website said the maximum FSB for my motherboard is 1066 mhz. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...
But there are no CPU's that are compatible with my chipset thats 1066 mhz http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyID=1
Maybe the 1066 mhz on the hp website is irrelevent to what Im lookin for. If so please correct me.

Are there any other possible CPU upgrades for my mobo that isn't a Pentium D series, or has a 1066 mhz fsb that fits into my chipset?

Any help would be much appreciated.

The features of my current CPU is found here http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=868123...


Here are my specs:

HP Media Center PC m7360n
PentiumD 820 (P) DC 2.8 GHz
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775

Chipset: Intel 945P

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Emery-UL8E

NVIDIA XFX GTX 260 896MB

Buffalo 4GB DDR2 RAM


November 23, 2013 1:31:45 PM

even dual core are not supported! its only maximum for pentium d!
!