Local network dies if VPN connected on shared files computer

poff manager

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
We have three PC's on a local network which shares files off of PC (A) for software we can all use. If PC A is connected to the corporate VPN than the other pc's can not get to the shared files/software systems. This was working great until corporate made a change to VPN(cisco). They haven't been able to correct it any idea's besides backing out changes and going back to the old VPN setup. I guess that is not an option with them.

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Your problem is rooted in "split tunnels" concept.

You need to reconfigure your Cisco concentrator. It is happening like this:

1) On your corporate Cisco concentrator, the option "Tunnel Everything" is selected for the clients
2) When Cisco client is negotiating stuffs with your Cisco concentrator, it is "instructed" that it should tunnel "everything". Meaning that all name resolution requests, NetBIOS resolutions (printer/file sharing stuffs), e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g is sent through the tunnel.
3) So when your local PCs connect to the shared resources on PC (A), they won't get back any response because that shared computer is sending all responses back to the corporate network, which local PCs will never see.

Tell the corporate VPN admin to reconfigure so that tunnel/encrypt traffic only for corporate network. I.e home network is 192.168.1.0/24 and corporate is 172.16.0.0/16, then tunnel specific traffic option and specify "172.16.0.0/16". It should work.