Sign in with
Your question

Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8

Last response: in Overclocking
September 11, 2009 8:17:11 PM

so has anyone overclocked one of these yet? is it possible to unlock cores on these? my 3dmark score was 12438 (1280x1024) in win xp and im curious to know if overclocking will give me that drastic of a difference in game play, and will vista 64 make that big of a difference? oh ya and im just air cooling but ac is always on in house so cold air isnt an issue... thanks for interest.

More about : athlon 240 regor

a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 5:20:36 AM

Well, I don't even know if it's possible to unlock cores on the regors...I know it's possible on the kumas and callistos (PII X2)...and on the hekas (PII X3)...
If you're talking about 400mhz overclock then yeah you probably will possibly see some improvement in gaming...
And Vista64 is only good if you have over 4 gigs of ram...
You should overclock this CPU and see what it gains in performance...

Also what graphics card do you have? you could overclock that as well...If you overclock both the CPU and the graphics card you could gain a decent amount of performance...My system got around 12K - 13K @stock and when I overclocked it I managed to get around 16K which is a surprisingly huge improvement in performance and score...

I will actually do some research to see if it's possible to unlock the regors...you got me interested... :) 
m
l
September 12, 2009 7:50:52 AM

I have 2 evga9800gtsc and 4Gb khx6400D2/1... Where in the bios is the best place to start bumping up? I think my motherboard is descent ga-m750sli-ds4.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2009 4:49:12 PM

I think that the Regors are native dual-cores, as opposed to quads with two cores disabled. If that's the case, then there are no cores to unlock. You should still be able to get a nice overclock out of it, anyways.
m
l
September 12, 2009 11:07:18 PM

Ok so I bumped the bus speed up a bit and the voltage to stable it and now it's running at 3.34 stable. What else can I change? Multiplier?? Hypertrans?? I've done searches and can't find what I'm looking for... Thanks
m
l
September 12, 2009 11:17:03 PM

Oh yes and I'm running 2 evga 9800gt superclocked editions...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 11:22:08 PM

You can only bump the multiplier if your CPU is a BE (Black Edition) processor...
Are you sure that it's stable? Stress it with Prime95 to see if it's stable...
3.34Ghz on a regor is actually pretty decent...I know that the windsors overclocked better than the regors but a 3.34 is not bad...you could pick up the bus speed even higher if you got any room...But I don't know about the Hypertrans...could try it...
m
l
September 12, 2009 11:32:30 PM

Ya I think so (stable) but I just ran 3dmark06... Is it just a matter of dealing with heat as far as bumping the bus/volts? And my computer is just for games if that helps...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 11:37:16 PM

thacondor said:
Ya I think so (stable) but I just ran 3dmark06... Is it just a matter of dealing with heat as far as bumping the bus/volts? And my computer is just for games if that helps...

Well, with the bus you are also overclocking the ram so if the ram speed goes up too high it might be unstable...you could lower the ram speed by lowering the Dram frequency...
You deal with heat when you add volts...so if you are running on stock voltage but raised only the bus your temps should be the same...but your system might not be stable anymore...
m
l
September 13, 2009 12:24:30 AM

well when i was bumping up the cpu frequency (currently @230, started @200) i went in increments of 15 and when i got to 315 windows loaded really slow and the mouse and keyboard glitched out so i added .25v and restarted and windows loaded normally so i ran 3dmark06 and it ran fine. after that i bumped it up again this time to 230 and added another .25v and loaded and no problems so far... just gets hot but as long as i have the ac on in the house its fine.... while running 3dmark it only got up to 41c. currently my ht link freq. and cpu clock ratio :??:  is auto... where is a good place to start tweeking these?(if at all??)... as for the ram do i just manually set everything according to manuf. specs? starting at page 39 of my manual online it shows everything i can change and what i can change it to... http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboar...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2009 6:28:10 AM

If I were you I would only raise the bus and the CPU voltage. I would also set the "Set Memory Clock" to "Manual" and lower the memory clock.
I wouldn't fiddle around with the ht link freq. The "CPU Clock Ratio" can only be changed (raised) if your CPU is a black edition CPU...It's locked on normal CPU's. If you had a BE the best way to overclock would be to use the multiplier (CPU Clock Ratio).
Also, test your stability with Prime95...It's Important!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2009 1:29:38 PM

videl said:
You can only bump the multiplier if your CPU is a BE (Black Edition) processor...
Are you sure that it's stable? Stress it with Prime95 to see if it's stable...
3.34Ghz on a regor is actually pretty decent...I know that the windsors overclocked better than the regors but a 3.34 is not bad...you could pick up the bus speed even higher if you got any room...But I don't know about the Hypertrans...could try it...

This is incorrect. Regors will surpass Windsors in overclocking. Windsors top out around 3.5ghz, you'd be lucky if you can hit 3.6ghz with water cooling.

My Regor can do 3.7ghz on air, Many Regor reviews can do 3.8ghz or higher.
m
l
September 13, 2009 7:12:32 PM

Awesome... so i tried changing the multiplier too and i can... its not locked. However... now i get random messages from my computer saying "danger" almost just like the robot, its pretty funny but none of my temps are out of the norm and i when back to bios and loaded defaults and hes still talking to me!! WTF... is my computer possessed now or???... thanks
m
l
September 13, 2009 7:29:33 PM

pheew... got the robot to stop talking to me... now as for the multiplier i do know that its cpu ratio clock x cpu freq. so what does it do to change the multiplier lower and the freq higher?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2009 8:04:04 PM

^Nothing really...If your multiplier is unlocked then overclock with it...(by locked I meant you can't pick it up higher, but only lower)
Sometimes you can achieve a higher overclock if you lower the multiplier and pick up the bus, but that's rare...It is recommended to overclock with the multiplier if it is unlocked, that way you don't have to worry about lowering ram speed...and it makes overclocking easy...
So my PII X2 550 runs @3.1 stock 15.5 x 200...I unlocked it successfully and overclocked it to 3.4 17 x 200 to match the speed of PII X4 965 to run 24/7
For benching I got it up to 4Ghz by using both multiplier and bus 16 x 250...
m
l
September 13, 2009 8:28:36 PM

yes you were right it is locked so i cant go higher... so with the prime 95 thing do i just press the torture test? or do i have to change some settings?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2009 8:30:39 PM

^torture test it is... :) 
Make sure to monitor your temps...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2009 8:42:02 PM

@flyin15sec,
Thank's for the info...I'm only familiar with the brisbanes, kumas, callistos, and denebs out of the AMD family...
m
l
September 13, 2009 9:06:52 PM

ok.... now im running at a stable 3.5ghz with the ram at normal 2000mhz frequency... my idle temps are 34C-44C under load.... im going to run 3dmark and see how much that improves...
m
l
September 13, 2009 11:28:01 PM

got a little hot after a while of sitting so i kicked it down to 3.3ghz and ran 3dmark and got a 14155 so a 2k difference almost from stock... what is the Robust Graphics Booster settings too? what is it safe to bump that up to??
m
l
September 14, 2009 1:46:46 AM

I searched and mine doesn't have turbo or anything it's in percentages... +1,+2%... Just wondring what anyonelse who has this has bumped it up to safely...
m
l
September 14, 2009 11:14:37 PM

thanks videl.
m
l
September 27, 2009 2:22:21 PM

I have mine at 3.145 mhz on stock voltage and stock cooling . I swapped this chip for a 7750 BE which struggled to go above 3.1ghz , I must say these chips are awesome for the money , my pc feels much smoother now than with the 7750
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2009 4:27:12 AM

^These are good chips...but I believe that the phenom II X2 550 is the best CPU for the money right now...
How high did your Regor go?
m
l
October 1, 2009 10:13:13 AM

tbh I havn't tried to push it any higher , I have heard of people getting 3.5 out of them , but I like to keep em cool , I may well go for a phenom 550 myself they are great gaming chips
m
l
October 2, 2009 6:06:12 AM

I've only started pushing mine abit. 3.3 @ 31 degrees atm and on rises to 33 on GTAIV?
Not pushing anymore till I re-arrange cables inside the case for better airflow.
m
l
October 4, 2009 9:24:22 PM

I overclocked mine to 3.8 with no trouble, stock voltage, 271Mhz bus and i even slowed down my box cooler from 3k rpm to 2k. Motherboard asrock n69s or something
m
l
October 7, 2009 5:45:49 AM

i got my --Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.93Ghz-- overclocked to 3.73Ghz. FSB was 257Mh.
Temp was 41c on load. Running it at 3.01Ghz right now.
m
l
October 7, 2009 12:33:20 PM

can you believe that Toms recommends the athlon 5200 over the regors for a budget chip
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 7, 2009 8:19:37 PM

Theres no advantage to take the E5200 over the AthlonII 245. It really depends on what motherboard you have or plan on getting.

As it is, I would take the AthlonII 245 over the E5200 only because it has virtual support.
m
l
October 15, 2009 2:34:38 PM

touche` virtualization.

Some1 at Intel took a bad decision to eliminate virtual from that CPU series hehe
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2009 11:34:26 PM

^to some it matters...to some it doesn't...
m
l
October 27, 2009 8:55:57 AM

Here a screen shot of a budget build I finished about 3 weeks ago.

System as follows

AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor @3.480 (240X14.5) stock voltage
AC Alpine 64 heatsink
Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H
8GB (4x2) OCZ Blade DDR2 6400 2.0v 3:5 ratio 800 mhz 4-4-4-15
WD Black 500 GB 7200 SATA
WD Black 1 TB 7200 SATA
BFG 8800 GT OC2 (I forgot to increase the fan 61c :o  )
CM Storm Scout Case
m
l
February 17, 2010 12:49:26 AM

got this looking to see what others have gotten from a 240. i just purchased one as the price was great.

i look forward to seeing what i can get this chip to when it arrives. i do have to strongly disagree with Videl on multipliers being the "best" way to OC.

having a 550BE already, i like the ability to set the multiplier to whatever i want, but simply upping the multiplier to get higher freq does not give the best performance. it is useful in determining the upper limits of a CPU before more voltage is needed to run stable. however the best performance is achieved with freq's of HT and RAM in concert with taking the speed of a CPU to where ever you are comfortable running your system. having a unlocked CPU is nice in this endeavor as you can adjust to suit what your RAM and HT are capable of with stability. often adjusting the multiplier down while upping the FSB and HT and exceeding the rated freq of a CPU.

when FSB (RAM speed incld.), HT and the CPU freq are increased in concert will always render the best performance over a simple multiplier increase everytime.

come on UPS!
m
l
February 17, 2010 1:11:10 AM

xxGriff said:
got this looking to see what others have gotten from a 240. i just purchased one as the price was great.

i look forward to seeing what i can get this chip to when it arrives. i do have to strongly disagree with Videl on multipliers being the "best" way to OC.

having a 550BE already, i like the ability to set the multiplier to whatever i want, but simply upping the multiplier to get higher freq does not give the best performance. it is useful in determining the upper limits of a CPU before more voltage is needed to run stable. however the best performance is achieved with freq's of HT and RAM in concert with taking the speed of a CPU to where ever you are comfortable running your system. having a unlocked CPU is nice in this endeavor as you can adjust to suit what your RAM and HT are capable of with stability. often adjusting the multiplier down while upping the FSB and HT and exceeding the rated freq of a CPU.

when FSB (RAM speed incld.), HT and the CPU freq are increased in concert will always render the best performance over a simple multiplier increase everytime.

come on UPS!

I just ordered a 955 BE C3 stepping yesterday for my system above. I also order 2 XFX HD 5770 for crossfire 'cause I have never had multiple cards. (tax return). I think this system might just become my main one.

C'Mon UPS guy..... :bounce: 
m
l
February 17, 2010 8:15:24 AM

3.4 ghz out of a sub £50 chip .....that's just awesome
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2010 3:23:03 AM

@xxGriff,
I said that it's best to overclock using the multiplier because for someone who doesn't know much about overclocking or to someone who wants to overclock just a bit it would be most likely the best option having to deal with less stuff thus lowering the chances of messing their system up. I do agree with you that you could get more stable results or higher overclocks if you use the fsb but some systems don't make a difference either way...Although I know that a lot of world record overclocks were set using a combination between overclocking with the multiplier and the fsb...
So I think that the multiplier is better depending on who you are and what you do with your system... ;) 
m
l
February 23, 2010 1:38:57 AM

Just a very brief report, I bought AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W .

Using GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P and OCZ3G1333LV4GK and I am 24 hour prime 95 stable, 2 months in use stable, at 3.6Ghz on stock cooling at stock voltage.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2010 11:11:46 PM

Alright! another successful unlock! I'm happy for you man... ;) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2010 4:58:46 AM

No, Regors are native dual-cores. Only Heka (Phenom II X3) and Callisto (Phenom II X2 550-555) have the possibility of being unlocked to a quad since they are Deneb dies with cores disabled.

The Regor is a nice dual core CPU, capable of 3.7/3.8Ghz as far as what I have seen.

I would recommend an aftermarket cooler if you want to go higher than 3.5/3.6 regardless of your ambient temp.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2010 3:17:50 AM

^OvrClkr,
What about the Kumas?
I thought they unlocked too...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2010 3:34:08 AM

videl said:
^OvrClkr,
What about the Kumas?
I thought they unlocked too...

they do but good luck with that :lol: 

the 7750 is way to slow of a CPU, it needs at least 3.2Ghz to actually move it's arse :fou: 

i have one, it sucks that it is one of the older weak agenas that didnt pass QC... and a PITA to unlock, very low unlock rate vs the 550/555/720

m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2010 3:37:12 AM

Wow that sucks...I guess it's not even worth buying...lol
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2010 3:56:12 AM

nope, its crap unless you got a cherry picked one..

agena = FAIL

m
l
February 27, 2010 7:06:58 AM

flyin15sec said:
Theres no advantage to take the E5200 over the AthlonII 245. It really depends on what motherboard you have or plan on getting.

As it is, I would take the AthlonII 245 over the E5200 only because it has virtual support.

from an E5200 I got 1.2 GHz over stock from it on a Intel P45 based mobo
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2010 4:33:51 AM

lashton...where were you?!?!
Seems like you've been gone for a while...
And that's actually a nice overclock I actually got a 1.3Ghz overclock on that chip...
m
l
March 5, 2010 1:13:40 PM

yo guys, i got the regor 240. i did +10% on the fsb but no go...
doesn't heat up, just gets stuck...
so i did like 5% was fine but not really an improvment...
so i should raise the voltage with it?
and if so by how much each time?

(my last overclockin was on a intel dx2 from 66mhz to 133mhz! a couple decades ago or so, for other reasons couldn't overclock since, now almost 20 years later i'm back in the game and just starting to know the new systems).

running stock coolin btw...

my plate (mobo) is ASUS M4A77D
my ram is PNY Optima 4GB (cas 9).
my vga (gpu) is Palit NE3X262SFHD94 GeForce GTX 260.

any comments are welcome...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 3:15:42 PM

RemdA said:
yo guys, i got the regor 240. i did +10% on the fsb but no go...
doesn't heat up, just gets stuck...
so i did like 5% was fine but not really an improvment...
so i should raise the voltage with it?
and if so by how much each time?

(my last overclockin was on a intel dx2 from 66mhz to 133mhz! a couple decades ago or so, for other reasons couldn't overclock since, now almost 20 years later i'm back in the game and just starting to know the new systems).

running stock coolin btw...

my plate (mobo) is ASUS M4A77D
my ram is PNY Optima 4GB (cas 9).
my vga (gpu) is Palit NE3X262SFHD94 GeForce GTX 260.

any comments are welcome...

Make sure your ram is 100+ stable before you do any overclocking. Prime your CPU at stock settings. If it does not produce any errors, you can start raising the FSB/voltage one step at a time in increments and you should be good to go.

Also make sure that you DO NOT leave most of your values on AUTO. The key to stability is to make sure you give the CPU and other components are recieving the correct amount of voltage.
m
l
March 8, 2010 1:00:06 PM

well, better late then never to find out ;) 
just as good, i'll try again. so the minimum is the stock position?
or like the middle or what?

1. i prime95 my system.
if good then:
2. i put all the stuff on what?

(complete it so i'll be sure, thanks)
m
l
!