Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8

thacondor

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
so has anyone overclocked one of these yet? is it possible to unlock cores on these? my 3dmark score was 12438 (1280x1024) in win xp and im curious to know if overclocking will give me that drastic of a difference in game play, and will vista 64 make that big of a difference? oh ya and im just air cooling but ac is always on in house so cold air isnt an issue... thanks for interest.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Well, I don't even know if it's possible to unlock cores on the regors...I know it's possible on the kumas and callistos (PII X2)...and on the hekas (PII X3)...
If you're talking about 400mhz overclock then yeah you probably will possibly see some improvement in gaming...
And Vista64 is only good if you have over 4 gigs of ram...
You should overclock this CPU and see what it gains in performance...

Also what graphics card do you have? you could overclock that as well...If you overclock both the CPU and the graphics card you could gain a decent amount of performance...My system got around 12K - 13K @stock and when I overclocked it I managed to get around 16K which is a surprisingly huge improvement in performance and score...

I will actually do some research to see if it's possible to unlock the regors...you got me interested... :)

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I think that the Regors are native dual-cores, as opposed to quads with two cores disabled. If that's the case, then there are no cores to unlock. You should still be able to get a nice overclock out of it, anyways.

thacondor

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Ok so I bumped the bus speed up a bit and the voltage to stable it and now it's running at 3.34 stable. What else can I change? Multiplier?? Hypertrans?? I've done searches and can't find what I'm looking for... Thanks

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
You can only bump the multiplier if your CPU is a BE (Black Edition) processor...
Are you sure that it's stable? Stress it with Prime95 to see if it's stable...
3.34Ghz on a regor is actually pretty decent...I know that the windsors overclocked better than the regors but a 3.34 is not bad...you could pick up the bus speed even higher if you got any room...But I don't know about the Hypertrans...could try it...

thacondor

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Ya I think so (stable) but I just ran 3dmark06... Is it just a matter of dealing with heat as far as bumping the bus/volts? And my computer is just for games if that helps...

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

Well, with the bus you are also overclocking the ram so if the ram speed goes up too high it might be unstable...you could lower the ram speed by lowering the Dram frequency...
You deal with heat when you add volts...so if you are running on stock voltage but raised only the bus your temps should be the same...but your system might not be stable anymore...

thacondor

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
well when i was bumping up the cpu frequency (currently @230, started @200) i went in increments of 15 and when i got to 315 windows loaded really slow and the mouse and keyboard glitched out so i added .25v and restarted and windows loaded normally so i ran 3dmark06 and it ran fine. after that i bumped it up again this time to 230 and added another .25v and loaded and no problems so far... just gets hot but as long as i have the ac on in the house its fine.... while running 3dmark it only got up to 41c. currently my ht link freq. and cpu clock ratio :??: is auto... where is a good place to start tweeking these?(if at all??)... as for the ram do i just manually set everything according to manuf. specs? starting at page 39 of my manual online it shows everything i can change and what i can change it to... http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-m750sli-ds4_e.pdf

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
If I were you I would only raise the bus and the CPU voltage. I would also set the "Set Memory Clock" to "Manual" and lower the memory clock.
I wouldn't fiddle around with the ht link freq. The "CPU Clock Ratio" can only be changed (raised) if your CPU is a black edition CPU...It's locked on normal CPU's. If you had a BE the best way to overclock would be to use the multiplier (CPU Clock Ratio).
Also, test your stability with Prime95...It's Important!

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

This is incorrect. Regors will surpass Windsors in overclocking. Windsors top out around 3.5ghz, you'd be lucky if you can hit 3.6ghz with water cooling.

My Regor can do 3.7ghz on air, Many Regor reviews can do 3.8ghz or higher.

thacondor

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Awesome... so i tried changing the multiplier too and i can... its not locked. However... now i get random messages from my computer saying "danger" almost just like the robot, its pretty funny but none of my temps are out of the norm and i when back to bios and loaded defaults and hes still talking to me!! WTF... is my computer possessed now or???... thanks

thacondor

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
pheew... got the robot to stop talking to me... now as for the multiplier i do know that its cpu ratio clock x cpu freq. so what does it do to change the multiplier lower and the freq higher?

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
^Nothing really...If your multiplier is unlocked then overclock with it...(by locked I meant you can't pick it up higher, but only lower)
Sometimes you can achieve a higher overclock if you lower the multiplier and pick up the bus, but that's rare...It is recommended to overclock with the multiplier if it is unlocked, that way you don't have to worry about lowering ram speed...and it makes overclocking easy...
So my PII X2 550 runs @3.1 stock 15.5 x 200...I unlocked it successfully and overclocked it to 3.4 17 x 200 to match the speed of PII X4 965 to run 24/7
For benching I got it up to 4Ghz by using both multiplier and bus 16 x 250...

thacondor

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
ok.... now im running at a stable 3.5ghz with the ram at normal 2000mhz frequency... my idle temps are 34C-44C under load.... im going to run 3dmark and see how much that improves...

thacondor

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
got a little hot after a while of sitting so i kicked it down to 3.3ghz and ran 3dmark and got a 14155 so a 2k difference almost from stock... what is the Robust Graphics Booster settings too? what is it safe to bump that up to??

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I have mine at 3.145 mhz on stock voltage and stock cooling . I swapped this chip for a 7750 BE which struggled to go above 3.1ghz , I must say these chips are awesome for the money , my pc feels much smoother now than with the 7750