Sign in with
Your question

Ran DBAN on wrong hard drive for about 0.5 seconds

Last response: in Storage
December 18, 2009 10:59:31 PM

Hi,

I ran DBAN (hard disk wiping software) on the wrong hard drive for about half a second and now Windows recognizes the drive as "Unallocated Space" and wants to format it. I tried running chkdsk on the drive, but I got "CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."

None of the data should be destroyed...so I realize that using simple recovery software could recover all my data....but is there a potential way that I could fix the file system somehow?

Thanks.
December 19, 2009 3:23:05 PM

Bumpidy!
a b G Storage
December 19, 2009 3:34:47 PM

The only tools I know that *might* work are (Linux based) partition recovery tools like TestDisk (included with PartedMagic); there are no doubt other recovery tools, I just haven't used them.

Good luck.
Related resources
December 19, 2009 7:10:34 PM

I was a bit weary of recovering using my Linux partition...but I found a neat Windows app (ZAR) that was able to identify the previous file structure and restore everything including directories and file names. So it's as good as new, now.
February 22, 2010 8:49:57 AM

Treeh said:
I was a bit weary of recovering using my Linux partition...but I found a neat Windows app (ZAR) that was able to identify the previous file structure and restore everything including directories and file names. So it's as good as new, now.

It happened the same to me!
HELP!!!!
Please explain step-by-step how you did it?
Thanx!
!