Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't start after moving it from table to the ground.

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2008 3:29:48 AM

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
E8400 1.550
Powercooler HD 4870 2100 SEK
Samsung 203N
Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB
Crucial DDR2 BallistiX TRACER 4GB
Xigmatek HDT-s1283
Samsung t220
Corsair 750TX Power Supply
Windows Vista 64 bit

I had just built this thing and I had just turned it on for the first time...I loaded the VIsta Premium 64 Bit into the disc drive...no problems at all...Go to the "Select language " screen on the Vista and then I decided to put the Desktop on the ground instead because it was in the way...I did it REALLY carefully, and when I set it down...It turned off...

When I turned it back, the screen shoes up with something saying "Cannot boot Windows" hit CTRL ALT DEL....So I did that and it restarted...I tried this 3 times...Then I turned my computer off again and back on and it wouldn't start. I tried different wall plug-ins and tried making sure everything is plugged in..

Did my Vista come with a virus or something? Maybe me moving the computer had nothing to do with it shutting down?

Anyone know anything about this?

Thank you

July 30, 2008 4:21:10 AM

Check for loose SATA data or power cable on the HDD.
July 30, 2008 5:27:36 AM

I think that when the power went off, the computer was in the process of copying important files from the CD to your hard drive. So, when you turned it back on, it's trying to boot to a partially installed / corrupt version of Windows Vista 64 bit.
Related resources
July 30, 2008 5:34:37 AM

Don't do that when a computer is running anyhow because you can jar the hard drive head into the platter if you're unlucky, or ham handed ! In this case "don't" = NEVER, it is a cardinal sin to move it when the drive is spinning.
July 30, 2008 5:42:17 AM

sir daniel said:
I think that when the power went off, the computer was in the process of copying important files from the CD to your hard drive. So, when you turned it back on, it's trying to boot to a partially installed / corrupt version of Windows Vista 64 bit.
I agree with Sir Daniel's theory.

And I can't agree enough with Royal Crown's Advice. NEVER, EVER, Move a computer while it is powered on.
July 30, 2008 6:12:03 AM

just reinstall windows
July 30, 2008 7:02:00 AM

How do I re-install windows when I can't even turn the computer on? How do I reset the hard drive or somehow clear it so I can install windows again?
July 30, 2008 7:32:43 AM

Go into BIOS and set the boot order to boot the DVD drive first. The machine is trying to boot to the HD.
July 30, 2008 9:01:31 AM

I think you are all mistakenly thinking that the computer does turn on, but does not boot up. I think he means it does not turn on at all.

Which makes me think some kind of wire was loosened or something. So just open it up and make sure everything is connected correctly.
July 30, 2008 9:39:17 AM

Correct. The computer gets absolutely no power... I checked everything this morning and everything is intact...Is there a possibility that my PSU randomly is fried?

I will go through everything again when I get home from work in about 4 hours and make sure it is all plugged in...
July 30, 2008 11:13:46 AM

I think your Vista DVD has a virus. Genuine Microsoft software usually does, which is why I only download copies from the net. You should sue Microsoft for the full amount of your PC.
July 30, 2008 11:22:55 AM

bmwm3oz said:
Then I turned my computer off again and back on and it wouldn't start.
I tried different wall plug-ins and tried making sure everything is plugged in..

It might be the case switch broke or isn't working. You can bypass the case switch to test the PSU is working.
http://www.overclock.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/26...
Hotwire a PSU by shorting the green and a black wire on the MB power connector.
http://www.techwarelabs.com/guides/misc_mod/psumod/
Im thinking you should take the PSU out of the case and test with a case fan - or at least disconnect all power leads to everything but a case fan.

There is always a chance of an early failure in any electronic component (called "infant mortality").
July 30, 2008 11:25:00 AM

bmwm3oz said:
Correct. The computer gets absolutely no power... I checked everything this morning and everything is intact...Is there a possibility that my PSU randomly is fried?

I will go through everything again when I get home from work in about 4 hours and make sure it is all plugged in...

(infant mortality, first time i hear that, so you can assume what i said is not based on any experience about it) psu fried. i dont think that will happen with just a move. ya, maybe some wires got loosen somewhere. just make sure that all the wiring is right every where.
July 30, 2008 11:32:08 AM

A term from long before the age of PCs
July 30, 2008 1:14:39 PM

Yeah I know I was pretty bummed =(. I'm on my way home now so I will test all of the above when I get home...

The guy that said sue mircorosft...Do they really have problems with their operating system and virsus on the discs?
July 30, 2008 2:09:19 PM

^^no they don't. that would be so stupid
July 30, 2008 2:18:44 PM

Ignore szwaba67's comment - Very unlikely a legal Windows CD is going to have a virus. Unless the virus would overwrite the BIOS ( Rare, but there have been afew) it would not prevent the computer from powering up.

You may have two problems.
Intially you could power up, but not get into windows. As pointsd out you can damage boot sector, corruprt files, and totally wipe out a HDD when moving a powered on system.

2nd A problem powering on. I would disconnect all HDDs, CD/DVD drives, and Floopy and verify connections to MB. Now try to power on and get in to the Bios - set 1st boot device to DVD. If this is OK then reconnect Drives, one at a time and try powering up.

If you get this far - boot to CD using either ultimate boot disk ( use google to find)or Manuf "tools" Disk (Download from HDD site). Check out HDD!
July 30, 2008 2:20:25 PM

Hmmmm....
I don't know for sure how did your computer get broken, but I have to tell you one or two points on which you should pay attention next time when moving a computer :
1. Check all the cables and sockets after moving before you turn it on.
2. Remove your HDDs from your computer before you move your baby, just tobe 120% sure
3. You might as well check the cpu fan and other heatsinks before turning it on.
July 30, 2008 2:52:28 PM

Well, lets start with basics.

If your PC does not even boot up, its not a HD problem yet.

Does it even try to turn on? Any lights on your mobo?

If totally dead, check you case > mobo pwr switch, board main & secondary power connections. Make sure you use the right pwr connections (many confuse the 4, 6 or 8 pin - whatever you manual says to use). Double check.

Also, how many RAM sticks you using? If two, try taking one out and using only one stick. You can also reset you cmos battery. Make sure your CPU fan is hooked too.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.
July 30, 2008 2:52:58 PM

Well I took everything out and plugged it back in and triple-checked the hard drive before I started it and nothing powers on...Not a single thing...Will try something else now
July 30, 2008 3:11:13 PM

Motherboard swtich? What do I do with that?
July 30, 2008 3:21:12 PM

Just make sure its on the right pins: pwr, rst, etc.

Q: Does it even try to turn on? Any lights on your mobo?
July 30, 2008 3:24:42 PM

Nope..Nothing at all. So weird cause it worked last night =\
July 30, 2008 3:54:41 PM

This isn't fun anymore.
July 30, 2008 3:59:25 PM

Repeat - Disconnect all drive and nonessential components. Try powering on with only MB, CPU, Memory, and Video card.
July 30, 2008 4:00:44 PM

Ok
July 30, 2008 4:04:32 PM

nope nothing happens...
July 30, 2008 4:41:00 PM

I just did the paper clip trick with the PSU and it turns on and the fan spins and everything so it's something else...What the hell could it be? DOes a bad HD prevent a computer from booting?
July 30, 2008 4:45:10 PM

Yes, it is possible. But I thought your OK was that you tried powering on with the HD (both pwr and data) disconnected. If you disconnected the HD and still could not power on, then the HD is not causing the problem of not Powering up.
July 30, 2008 4:47:03 PM

I'm confused by what you mean... Should I try plugging in the power to the motherboard with just the PSU fan connected and see what happens?
July 30, 2008 4:48:33 PM

Just tried that nothing happens...I'm honestly thinking it's the button on the case....How do I start the computer without having to push the button
July 30, 2008 4:48:58 PM

Power button I mean
July 30, 2008 5:18:36 PM

Well I just took the power switch cable off from the mobo and put the reset switch there instead and tried to boot the computer pushing on the reset button and nothing happened... I'm pretty sure the mobo is fried
July 30, 2008 5:33:41 PM

Hey, disconnect your Hard drive, your cd/dvd drive and fans.

Only connect CPU FAN, Video CARD pwr cable if needed, Motherboard main power and secondary power, and the small power button switch.

Also, you didnt answer the question on if any lights come on your board. Even before you attempt to boot. Most boards have lights.

July 30, 2008 5:36:52 PM

check that you are putting the pwr switch button pins in the right place.

Also, you checked that u are using the rigth power to the motherboard 4/6 pin connecter? the one next to the cpu?

You are not using the pci ones right? They are different.
July 30, 2008 5:38:41 PM

Yeah I said nothing comes on. LIterally nothing. Pretend your sitting there pushing a plastic button that does absolutely nothing...Yes that's what I've been doing for the last 10 hours.

However is my update... I did the GPU, Ram, Vid card test and nothing happens...The motherboard seems to give no power what so ever... The PSU is working however since I tested it with the paper clip...

My next test after reading a bunch of different things is taking out the motherboard and looking for loose screws...One thing I didn't mention is when I installed the motherboard, literally 2-3 screws fit so I left the mobo on with the bottom left screwed on, bottom right, mid right, top right....There are no screws on the mid left, top left, mid top, or anywhere in the middle....

Stupid me since I'm a noob but what I THINK happened is I fried the board, or...since the board is resting against the chassi, it's not grounding properly...

I am going to try to get all the screws in even though it will probably be impossible but if this doesn't work then this board has got to be fried.
July 30, 2008 5:38:47 PM

I know i ask this, but i had a friend with same issue and swore he was checking them. brought it over and it was that power cable.
July 30, 2008 5:40:49 PM

Yeah peter everything is correct right now..I checked the button pins on the bottom of the board 5-6 times, looked through the manual and aligned them properly...

I don't know if you are aware of what happened but everything was working last night...It stopped working when I put my computer on the ground as it was running... Meaning all of the connections had to be right since everything was running smoothly... What must have happened since the board is sitting loose is that it leaned off the chassi and lost power and possibly fried it?

Just a guess

Thanks for help peter
July 30, 2008 5:46:44 PM

I just moved a system last night for an old case to a new case. The mobo had ONE SCREW! nothing else. I swear! and it had been like this for long time. no kidding. I was cracking up.
July 30, 2008 5:47:43 PM

Did the mobo work after that?
July 30, 2008 5:48:06 PM

Yes, possible. Where did you buy your board?
July 30, 2008 5:48:41 PM

yes it worked fine last night. We played cod4 for like 3 hours.
July 30, 2008 5:52:31 PM

lol nice....I wish I could do that right now =\. I bought my board from some online company here in Sweden. Right now I'm cooking up a Chorizo hot dog and eating that sucker up and then I'll start taking apart this crap and I'll let you know what happens..If there is a screw back there I SWEAR.
July 30, 2008 5:56:58 PM

If you have a multimeter (Can by a cheap on, and they come in handy for other uses than computers). Do your paper clip thin to get the PSU to come on then measure the voltages on your PSU. Even though your fans come on the voltages may not be correct. You can check the +5V and the +12 V at ther molex connector. Measure the Red to black, then the yellow to black.

Missed your post about only one screw holding the MB inplace. Yes if the MB slipped while moving it you may have shorted something out on the MB. You could try removing the MB and sitting on the table (On a hard, nonconducting surface) and try powering up.
July 30, 2008 6:03:09 PM

Sorry could not be more of a help... its happened to me several times, if that helps at all... I actually never buy online just becuase of this. Due all locally. Yes, i pay like 10 bucks more for most parts, but i save headaches.
July 30, 2008 6:08:18 PM

I do have a multi-meter I will test this right now
July 30, 2008 6:15:56 PM

What the hell? I just pulled the HD, CD rom, Video card, and everything besides the processor and memory and it boots up....
July 30, 2008 6:21:24 PM

dude that is awesome. Try putting one thing back at at time.
July 30, 2008 6:23:57 PM

That's a good start, Now put things back on at a time starting with the Graphics card. Could still be the PSU with one of the voltages dropping off under load. The greatest load on the +12 V is the CPU and the graphics card. Might want to check that 12 V rail before putting the graphic card in. Should be greater than 11.7 V

Stepping out for an hour or so. Will check back
!