I7 stock cooler, with P182 chassis modification

KkarstenN

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I'm getting pretty good results with a small chassis mod in connection with the Intel stock cooler.

Intel recommends that the CPU cooler draws air, directly from outside of the chassis. However few chassis supports this.

I modified my P182 chassis, by drilling an 80 mm hole in the lid, and mounted an 80 mm fan directly above the CPU, I then connected a funnel so that the CPU cooler gets direct air supply from outside the chassis.

The 80 mm fan comes from a Silverstone HTPC chassis, runs at around 2000 rpm, but very silent. It helps to keep the RPM down on the i7 cooler, which is a bit noisy. The funnel is a leftover from a stripped Medion PC.

P182 chassis runs with the top fan in low, rear fan in mid and aux PSU fan in low.

MB ASUS P6T DeLuxe V2
Q-fan enabled
Clock speed 190x19= 3610 Mhz
CPU voltage: 1.25V
CPU i7 920

Idle temp: 49 deg. Cel.
Peak load temp: 70 deg. Cel
Room temperature: 24 deg. Cel

I think this is a, thermal wise, pretty good result?

Regards,
Karsten

KkarstenN

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Yes, it is the i7 920.

The plan was actually to use the Mugin 2 cooler, but I did not have the correct mounting kit.

What about chipset cooling with the Core Contact, etc? Asus actually specify the Intel stock type for the P6T.

Furthermore, these heavy coolers could probably stress the main board mechanically?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
An aftermarket cooler for the CPU would be very nice. 10,000s use the better aftermarket coolers with no problems on board warping.

If you have good case airflow you don't need to worry about chipset cooling, your case has good airflow.

TRENDING THREADS