Matt87

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Hi all im about to finish my build. I need a sound card but don't want to spend much $ But yet still get something with quality...
Is this one good?

im planning on using vista 64bit if that makes a difference = =

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card

cow_moo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
actually onboard is very good I say don't get a sound card it's not worth it unless u are doing a HTPC. If u feel so compelled to get one for cheap I think that's the right pick

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
What speakers you using? I wouldn't bother if you're using computer speakers, waste of money. As said previously onboard sound is very good these days and MORE than good enough for the majority of users.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. My Xtreme Gamer led to me reformatting about 5 times in 3 weeks with Vista x64. Don't use them, or anything else Creative makes drivers for.

Well I'm running Vista64 and the Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro with no problems what so ever.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Either somethings works flawlessly for every application/game you throw at it or it's problematic. Even the newer X-FI Titanium which everyone is drooling about has problems in Vista. Asus' Xonar also has problems with certain games in Vista. On the other hand we have good onboard audio which works flawlessy with everything you throw at it on all operating systems and all games and you don't have to do jack to get them to work.

The whole "you are not an enthusiast unless you have an X-FI" is just cheap marketing **** to get you to buy products from a company that treats customers like crap and deliberately cripples older hardware to get you to buy the same thing again as a "business decision" and threatens lawsuits against those who would put things right. This company doesn't deserve to exist, more game devs are dismissing them and throwing out their crap in favor of software alternatives and the ones that haven't would do well to follow suit.

Its obvious you have some kind of vendetta against Creative, however they've solved the Vista driver issues with the Extreme Gamer Fatal!ty Pro I'm running and I only had issues in the beginning with Vista, there were no issues with WinXP Pro at all, same for my past X-FI Extreme Music, and before that my Audigy 2 ZS [One of Creatives Crown Jewels IMO]!

Your comment about onboard sound working flawlessly is not accurate either, I presently have an ASUS Crosshair II Formula M/B with the supposedly superb Supreme FX II soundcard from ASUS, which is one ASUS piece of onboard crap, just about like any other onboard sound of any M/B I've owned!

Creative has and still does make some excellent products, and their new Alchemy drivers are resolving issues that occured in Vista, Oh Creative Speaker systems Rock Too!

I don't buy Creative to be in some enthusiasts club, I buy it because its worth every penny, and with their Alchemy drivers they're proving their diligence to deliver the performance as they have in the past!

Have you tried the Alchemy drivers? I seriously doubt it!