Battle of asus's p45 boards...Best board?

Best p45 chipset for high end budgeted gamer?

• p5q

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • p5q - pro

• p5q - E

• p5q Deluxe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maximus Formula 2

• Total voters

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Hi guys. Can you guys give me some input on what are the major differences between these boards? I plan on putting together a new rig and have been bouncing back and forth between which motherboard to get.

p5q
p5q pro
p5q E
p5q deluxe
maximus formula 2

Things that are of my most concern I would like compared,
• How well do they handle heat (especially NB heat).
• Overall Quality
• Slight to mid range overclock
• Price and ram compatibility
• Out of the box ready to go ability.
• Can Tunic Tower 120 fit pass the mosfit heat sinks?

Things that I’m not so concerned about
• How many sata connections they have
• Input/output stuff (usb, pci, ect…)

Current rig items that can relate to motherboard selection:
Single Gtx 280 vid card. (do not plan on ever doing sli or using ati)
Q9550 cpu….want a slight to mid overclock.

Thanks guys

icyicy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
The P5Q does not overclock so well, although it would probably fit your needs of a "mid range overclock" I would advise not to take the risk and pick the $10 more expensive P5Q Pro that overclocks great.

Other than that the P5Q E, Deluxe and maximus formula 2 only offer more PCIe slots, dual ethernet connections etc which you are not interested in.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I am a bit worried about the heating issue on the p5q pro board. It looks like it might get a bit hot? No heat pipes? I would have good air cirulation I believe in my antec 182 case but would that be enough to keep this boards temps low?

And does anyone know if a Tunic Tower 120 can fit on this board?

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Ive had mine p5q pro for about two months now, running e5200 oc`d to 3.6ghz and I dont think heat is any kind of an issue in my case, board temp shown in BIOS and by hardware monitor in windows always stays around 32-35 and maxes at around 40 after few hours of gaming. Worked straight out of the box, no problems whatsoever. No, actually i remember that the keyboard was acting weird for a while when connected via ps/2, but problem fixed itself so maybe it was just me being drunk at the time ;) Generally in my opinion ist a very good and stable board, well worth the money