Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI HDMI audio via HD 3870 to HDMI TV HELP no sound!

Last response: in Components
October 5, 2008 10:04:40 PM

Hi, I have always found answers on this forum or somewhere on the inernet, but I have admited defeat and am extremely frustrated by this problem. I dont even know where to look anymore, I just pray someone can help me out on this forum. So here we go.

I am using this computer

Athlon x2 6400+
Sapphire mobo (DVI and VGA out 7.1 channel realtek integrated sound)
2gb ram
Sapphire Hd 3870 512Mb GDRR4 video card
Provided ATi DVI to HDMI converter
and HDMI 1.3a cord

I am connecting to a Sony Bravia 46 inch 1080P HDTV via HDMI Tv model KDF-46e3000

I have disabled integrated graphics in the BIOS and disabled audio over HDMI there as well (because I think this refers to the integrated graphics not for the discrete graphics, I have tried enabling this and it does not seem to change anything)

I have installed the latest catalyst drivers, and the latest 2.03 ATi HDMI audio drivers from Realtek

When I go to my sound options in Vista Home Premium It shows ATI HDMI out (unplugged... it is not unplugged) Realtek Speakers (which work when plugged in) and Digital output (which is set as the default device by itself, it shows that sound is playing but no sound is produced from the TV speakers.

I switched to the Tv's other HDMI port and inbetween disconnecting and reconnecting an error came up saying the dongle provided does not support audio or something and switch to digital output ( i think this just happened because i reconnected it while it was on)

I am quite certain I used the adapter provided with the 3870, but the adapter with the 2900 series is no different than the 3800 correct?
October 5, 2008 10:34:01 PM

Is it possible for you to provide a screen shot of the 'Playback devices' as shown when you right click the sound icon on the lower right hand side of your taskbar.

below is a picture of how you should be set-up to make the sound work via HDMI. Further note, it is not necessary to have any other drivers other than the one provided by ATI/AMD for sound to function properly.

Hope this helps.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dual boot (WinVista x64 Ultimate) & (Mac OS X 10.5.4 JASOSX86)
8 GB DDR 800 - Q6600 QuadCore (2.4) OC'd to 3.6Ghz
Asus P5E MoBo - 2 Crossfire'd ATI HD3870's - 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226bw & 32" 1080i LCD Sceptre
1 Saitek Eclipse Keyboard & 1 Generic USB keyboard
1 Logitech MXRevolution Mouse and 1 Generic USB Mouse
October 5, 2008 11:40:46 PM

I'm not 100% certain about this... but I THINK you have to hook up your 3870 to something on the motherboard or sound card, as the sound card doesn't have an on-board audio processor. Best consult your video card manual, or the internet.
Related resources
October 6, 2008 1:22:53 AM

Ok also to note, The integrated HD 3200 plays audio fine, but when I put the discrete Hd 3870 back in.. I am back to square one. On the Playback devices I have gotten it to show high definition HDMi audio devices like the top device on yours, and indeed it shows it is playing (with green bars) but no sound is produced. Also the integrated HD 3200 plays sound fine with that driver and the Realtek driver, but when I install the realtek ATI HDMI driver with the 3870 it removes both itself and the previous playback device from the list, leaving only speakers (unplugged) and digital, no HDMI. I am utterly confused, I would agree with Kraynor, but clearly the integrated sound can indeed run audio over the HDMI. If anyone can solve this I will have your babies, I am fairly proficient with computers, nothing has stumped me like this.
October 6, 2008 1:25:50 AM

The integrated HD 3200 is probably already linked to the integrated audio processor in the motherboard circuitry, surely that should have been rather obvious ;) 
October 6, 2008 1:32:36 AM

Others with integrated audio and no direct connection from their video card to this audio have reported that it works, though this does not guarantee this isnt the problem, look at Quad Kills screen, he is using integrated audio, im not sure if he connected his directly or not though, but these cards rarely have audio outs on them..
October 6, 2008 1:46:30 AM

rapsux321 said:
Others with integrated audio and no direct connection from their video card to this audio have reported that it works, though this does not guarantee this isnt the problem, look at Quad Kills screen, he is using integrated audio, im not sure if he connected his directly or not though, but these cards rarely have audio outs on them..

To answer your question: No I do not have on-board Video - but I do have On-Board Digital Out (via Fiber) However, what you see is exactly how Windows Vista listed the Audio portion to the HDMI out for the HD3870. It confused me when I first built this system in December of 2007, however I quickly figured it out.

To dispel the confusion created by the person who had mis-stated a thought: No you do not have to hook your video card to your on-board audio to make it work, that would be Nvidia based cards (and select few at that).

Here's a thought. Post a screenshot of your 'Playback devices' so we can have a better idea of what you're working with. While you are at it post a screen shot of your Device manager as shown below too.

Note the TWO High Definition Audio Devices listed - those are the 2 HD 3870's HDMI audio out listings.

PS: Something else of importance (Maybe) is that where did you get your drivers from? ATI.AMD.COM? or from Sapphire's website. You might want to try their (Sapphire's) Website and use those drivers to see if you get any different results. As you weren't specific which version of their card you have, I selected the Atomic HD 3870 they listed - the drivers can be found: http://us.sapphiretech.com/driver/401.zip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dual boot (WinVista x64 Ultimate) & (Mac OS X 10.5.4 JASOSX86)
8 GB DDR 800 - Q6600 QuadCore (2.4) OC'd to 3.6Ghz
Asus P5E MoBo - 2 Crossfire'd ATI HD3870's - 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226bw & 32" 1080i LCD Sceptre
1 Saitek Eclipse Keyboard & 1 Generic USB keyboard
1 Logitech MXRevolution Mouse and 1 Generic USB Mouse
October 6, 2008 3:10:47 AM

Hi, well I would post a screen of the playback devices, but as I tried to explain, when I installed the ATI HDMI drivers provided by realteks site (as recommended by many people) It consumed the previous listed device (the same as yours). Now whats interesting is to note is the 2, that means 2 HD 3870s for you, but for me it must mean HD 3200 and HD 3870, this is occuring even though I disabled the onbord video, what is your thoughts on disabling HDMI over audio in BIOS? do you think this only affects the integrated 3200, or also the 3870? Should I try the other DVI port on the 3870? (stupid idea eh im just lost). Device manager lists ATI HDMI Device, and Realtek high def audio. (after installed the realtek driver of course) Before that it lists high definition audio device like yours). I still dont think its a hardware problem. My video drivers are from ATi, my audio from realtek.
October 6, 2008 3:26:22 AM

Well as I stated - try using the drivers from Sapphire's site (I listed the link above) ENABLE your on-board hdmi/video - and for God's sake uninstall the realtek drivers They Really aren't necessary. Sounds to me like your on-board video is also ATI? If so then, AGAIN install the drivers from Sapphire's site.

Try that, and after trying that if finally get the two HD Audio Devices listed - see if the one like mine is listed in the 'Playback devices' You might have more than one, set each to default in turn until you get audio via your TV (HDMI).

Important thought here is: If you started say Media player - and you hadn't already set the default playback device - changing it after media player (and many other sound based applications) has already been started - will not play sound on the newly selected device.

In Short - Switch to new playback default device; Start media player or whatever - CLOSE media player (or whatever) and then select a new default device (rinse repeat).
October 6, 2008 4:38:13 AM

So your saying when it has says 2 HDMI devices there is an ability to choose which one? is this simply done by right clicking on the pulldown menu? are you thinking it is using the wrong HDMI device (the 3200) and there is an option to set it to the other one that i simply am not seeing? just want to confirm before I make all those changes again.
October 6, 2008 3:13:21 PM

Quote:
On the Playback devices I have gotten it to show high definition HDMi audio devices like the top device on yours, and indeed it shows it is playing (with green bars) but no sound is produced.

Yep, that's what I am saying.

My guess is that you had a few different 'Playback devices' listed in the first place and you picked the wrong one - or switched to the right one after initializing whatever application, which won't reset to the new sound device until it is closed and restarted.

AKA - stop and restart any sound making applications any and every time you change default playback device . . . . . .
October 7, 2008 5:41:41 AM

alright... I got it back to saying 2 high def audio devices (HDMi) like yours, green bars and all, no sound still. When i right click there is no option to select either one of the 2 devices, is there supposed to be 2 listed when i right click?

When I switch DVI ports on the gfx card I get a display box saying there is a problem with ATI DVI-HDMi adapter im using and it is not designed for this dispaly adapter... however it works when I use the 3200 gfx... I really doubt this is the problem do you think it could be? Im quite certain it came from an HD 3870, do different companies have different HDMi adapters.. this wouldnt make sense to me... and would an adapter from a 2xxx series work?
October 7, 2008 2:09:01 PM

Quote:
Here's a thought. Post a screenshot of your 'Playback devices' so we can have a better idea of what you're working with.

no one said anything about right-clicking. refer to the image above, do you not see the set default buttons beneath the listed devices?

Let's really try/think about this before just asking pointless questions please. Also try cooperating a little more so that you can be helped, otherwise you can not be.
October 7, 2008 4:55:59 PM

well, you must assume im computer retarded, of course ive tried to set the default device, I did all the obvious stuff already, im coming here for help from someone who knows more than me or who has remedied the specific problem. You have sapphire HD 3870's and integrated sound, and yours works, mine does not, so I thought you could help. I thought we were trying something well above something so simple here... considering the problem is not something so simple, do you think it could be the HDMI adapter, if it was taken from a different 2xxx series or 3xxx series card would it work? what do you think about the error when switching DVI ports while the system is on? Why would the adapter work with the HD 3200 gfx?
October 7, 2008 5:23:03 PM

Perhaps this is better left for someone with a little more patience than I . . . . .

I have asked countless times for screen shots of your device etc etc - you seem to ignore this and have a predetermined idea of what you think it is, despite being asked to try several things. Computer retarded is one thing, It is my job to work with those who are not computer savvy for a living. However, you are making this a little to tedious for me to deal with without being able to have a feel for what is going on, you say one thing then something different and disregard any suggestions/requests.

Good luck to you sir!
October 7, 2008 7:18:16 PM

I have told you exactly what it looks like, a screenshot would do nothing, thanks for whatever help you have given me, but the problem remains, you have taken an easy way to get out of a problem you cannot fix.
October 7, 2008 11:08:50 PM

I am having the same kind of issue like rapsux321, however mine is Visiontek HD 3870 with 512 MB. I am not getting any sound either it shows the bars are moving but no sound, I am usign Dell Insprion 530 Core 2 QUAD 4GB RAM 160 STATA using Sony 40" LCD Plese help. I was talking to the Visionteck tech support earlier they are asumming that it might me a BAD hardware. I have tried two differnet DVI to HDMI adaptor, none of them worked. I know the TV HDMI and the HDMI cables are good because it worked on others devices. your help is greatly appricated, Thank you in advance.
October 7, 2008 11:10:59 PM

I have installed the latest driver from the Visoiontek website. no extra driver. I am sorry forgot to mention the OS currently running Vista 32 ultimate. I have tried this on XP MCE 2005 SP3 not working either. Please help.
November 7, 2008 8:40:02 PM

I have yet to try the external event input, I just wanted to see if anyon got it figured out yet or has anymore ideas first.
December 17, 2008 1:18:40 PM

I am having the same problem where I keep getting the message "the AMD DVI-HDMI Dongle connect is not the right one please connect an additional cable from you sound card" something to that effect im sure we have all seen the message. Then I have read all over the internet that there is a Rev B dongle that should do the trick. When I select HDMI audio as my default device the green lish move up and down like an EQ showing the sound is there however the sound does not travel through my HDMI cable to my TV. I always though DVI does not support Audio but this graphics card definetly indicates there is a Dongle that is out there that will do it? Any suggestions guys?
Anonymous
May 15, 2009 11:27:37 AM

Mind you: Vista uses a service that scans your system for intrusions.
This service scans every few minutes and will think your setup has changed if you change even the smallest setting.
Not only does it slow down your gaming performance for security and piracy prevention, but it also shuts down any hardware it deems a risk factor.
This service can NOT be disabled.
You can view it through the taskmanager as the service that takes up the most memory when you idle your system.

What usually helps is resetting your drivers. In this case the Catalyst software through the Windows start menu ATI icon ("Restart Runtime") (your sound is handled by catalyst software if you use an ASUS laptop).
However, even a change in your system, ESPECIALLY within a system of Asus laptops and Sony Bravia hardware, could cause this problem to occure.
Example: if you were to turn on your laptop first, your Bravia TV second, set your TV on laptop and run a profile from the Catalyst (if you didn't create one for your TV I suggest that you do), everything might work. Until you turn on the AUX channel on your receiver.
Sleep mode will cause the same problem to occure.

The hardware will still be present within the system and it will mention it is running without issue. However, the option to set it as your standard sound device is gone. Even if you had already enabled it the last time it worked.
A real solution hasn't been presented yet. This issue has to do with Vista, though ATI might be able to patch this.
A reboot f your laptop will certainly solve the problem as long as you leave your setup turned on and connected. After the reboot, rightclick the sound options and re-enable your TV or receiver audio. This you already figured out.

OH, and to the self proclaimed videobutler: if you weren't aware of this problem you should try keeping your knowledge up-to-date before trying to "help" people for a living and pissing them off in the process (what commercial sense you have; good thing your impatient anti-social nerdiness doesn't represent my business). Really, this problem is very common and has already been reported multiple times in previews BEFORE Windows Vista got released.

A screenshot would indeed be useless as it would just show the laptop in a disconnected state.
Your BIOS and drivers have little to do with this problem. Your OS is the real problem.
Anonymous
August 31, 2009 11:26:13 PM

I have the same problem but with a different mobo and setup. it is an ASUS board so I sugest you do what i did when I had a problem. Call asus. they have an 800 number for support.

I now have the same problem no sound. I installed sapi 5.1. Now I get nothing. If you have ATI make sure you have the latest ATI and ASUS drivers.
November 24, 2009 5:15:30 AM

I think I have the answer when you installed your ati drivers it should have installed the ati HDMI audio driver for this to work you must also have the on board audio enabled in the bios and the drivers installed . now go to the control panel and click on sound make sure that ati hdmi audio is showing and shows connected if so make sure sure that your on board digital audio output is enabled now set the ati hdmi audio output to default . If the ati hdmi audio is showing enabled but not connected and you have the The HDMI cable connected to the actual HDMI port this could mean that you will need the ATI DVI/HDMI dongle as the audio is routed through the DVI connector as it was on my diamond hd3650 . on my new sapphire hd4670 it showed connected and all I had to do was enable the the realtec digital output and and set the ATI hdmi audio output to default and I now have sound via HDMI on my LG 37 inch LCD TV hope lis helps .
Anonymous
December 10, 2009 8:14:55 PM

you' l get sound on your TV only by HDMI OUTPUT on graphic card and not by DVI _ HDMI converter,so you must get another graphic card with HDMI OUTPUT
December 18, 2009 12:18:50 PM

To the guy above - your are wrong. On an ATI card you just need the right DVI-HDMI dongle to get sound.

My problem is the 2nd connection. The one to the HDTV works fine. I bought a second dongle of the same sort and can not get audio thru to the monitor I have as a backup display for when the kids are watching regular tv. I thought I would at least be able to swithch back and forth between the 2 and have audio out thru which ever was on. No luck on getting audio on the monitor even w/ the HDTV off. The HDMI audio connection shows up but is greyed out when only the monitor is on, again works fine to HDTV wether the monitor is on or off.

Is it not possible to get Audio out thru both DVI ports on an ATI card?

I have an ATI 4870 x2.
December 21, 2009 2:53:00 PM

There is so much confusion about this older ati cards such as the 3600 series even if they have an HDMI port the audio for some strange reason is only available Via the DVI port using the ATI dongle to adapt to HDMI . On cards such as my HD4670 the audio is available via the actual HDMI port as far as I have seen and read the audio only works through one of the DVI ports . Like I said above the on board Digital audio output must be enabled and the HDMI audio must be set for default . One other trick I have found if it does not work try rebooting the PC with the HDMI connected TV turned on . Also some people seem to to think that if they have a sound card installed that the HDMI audio is routed through their sound card this is not so the sound card has nothing to do with it . Even if it did there would be no difference in sound Quality as the HDMI audio is just a digital signal (101010) which is converted to analog Via the TV or receiver.
June 7, 2010 7:56:18 PM

i might have missed it, but how did you get around the initial problem of the ATI HDMI Output saying "Not plugged in" ?
July 31, 2010 5:25:17 PM

After a LONG time I finally found a way to fix this issue!!!
All you have to do is go in to BIOS/integrated(something) and DISSABLE the Azalia feature!
This solved this verry annoying issue for me!!! :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
October 9, 2011 3:31:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!