Sign in with
Your question

In system restore only one date is bold

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
December 19, 2010 2:50:58 PM

Hello,
Today I turned on my Toshiba laptop and there was no sound. Error message: "cannot access volume control", audio driver seems to be missing. When I tried system restore, it only gave me an option for today after the problem occurred. Then when I went into the event viewer, there are about 100 events from today with the error sign and no other events.
HELP!
Thanks,
Denise
a b \ Driver
December 19, 2010 5:20:41 PM

you simply download the audio driver from the Toshiba website
turn off the anti virus, load the driver, restart, turn the anti virus back on

Updates to the operating system, downloaded over the internet, are known to cause loss of drivers and other malfunctions. Loss of the audio driver after updating is a very well known problem, and has happened to many people.

This is why many users have turned off the automatic updates permanently.
I personally see no reason not to turn them off, especially in some computers where they cause plenty of problems.

In other words, you may replace your audio driver, but after another update, you may see the same problems or different problems occur again.
Rather than constantly fight with the adverse affects, we just turn it off forever.

While some people insist that the updates are mandatory, I still see no evidence that these updates are improving the security of the computer. As a matter of fact I see no reason not to keep them out of the computer.
Indecently, the updates make the computer run slower, not faster.

Using professional all in one security software, such as Norton or Panda, will protect the computer much better than any OS update. But please remember that free security downloads do not protect the computer like professional antivirus, and should be avoided.
a b \ Driver
December 19, 2010 5:41:29 PM

Quote:
Hello,
Today I turned on my Toshiba laptop and there was no sound. Error message: "cannot access volume control", audio driver seems to be missing. When I tried system restore, it only gave me an option for today after the problem occurred. Then when I went into the event viewer, there are about 100 events from today with the error sign and no other events.

Hello, Denise and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Have you used your Toshiba online since the 9th of December, Denise? That was the last day you are likely to have received Microsoft updates. Could you please provide some details of the Event Viewer entries?

I don't propose arguing once again with Soundmanguru's view on critical security patches M$ puts out but you should know that along with my own, there are many hundreds of opinions which run directly contrary to his.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
December 19, 2010 8:18:43 PM

We don't use the security updates, and as a result our computers keep running, trouble free.
The computers that have used the updates, that's a different story.
a b \ Driver
December 20, 2010 6:29:37 AM

I could possibly help you with that if you're within a twenty five radius of my place. Every system that comes to me for whatever kind of fix goes back fully up to date and I've not had any complaints in nine years of trading.

a b \ Driver
December 20, 2010 7:01:31 AM

Security updates come in different flavors. Some will protect against malicious websites, some prevent program exploits, and yet others protect against inbound attacks that some firewalls seem to miss.

People that have an internet connection which does not allow incoming traffic seem most immune to outside attacks simply because nobody can get to them from the internet, their ISP blocks all incoming traffic, only traffic that is responding to a specific request sent out from the home computer can get in, as an answer to that request, also known as a "get" request. M$ security updates to protect from outside attacks are a moot point for these people, obviously.

Program exploits are not rare, just ask Adobe Systems, makers of the Flash plug-ins. Evil people figure out how to hide active code in these seemingly benign video presentations that will leave a little "present" behind after the video is played. That little code can be quite damaging. Adobe is continuously on the look out for these things and updates Flash on a nearly weekly basis. Microsoft programs are not exempt from attackers. Even a program so basic as MS Office Word has been compromised many times. These updates from Microsoft are all as important as those you would eagerly get from Adobe.

Website attacks are probably the most active of all attacks. You have little protection from your firewall as what you are getting or seeing at a website is an answer to your browser's request. A firewall won't block most internet site "answers" that you initiated, the coming and going path is established. Here is where a good anti-virus program will help, but only on those data signatures that they are aware of. Mal-formed packets still get in because they have not yet been identified until they actually arrive. Things get hidden in common objects as simple as the fav-icon that appears in your browser address bar. Some buffer overflows are still happening out there that cause a machine to get confused and let an attacker in. Microsoft updates are critical for these problems. People may say they don't like updates, they've never had a problems and go on an on about how useless MS updates are. These people are not to be seen as a reliable source of prudent information as we don't know what they do with their computer, where they go on the internet or what they ever become exposed to. If the Nay-Sayers of updates never wonder off their repetitive surfing habit, they probable are quite safe. You, on the other hand may have a more robust adventure every day on the internet, so updates for you can be a matter of life and death to your computer.

The #1 group of people that have trouble with Microsoft updates are those that have illegitimate copies of Microsoft operating systems. You see a malicious site as a scourge and will do something about it. Microsoft also sees illegitimate copies of their programs out there as a scourge to itself and rightfully will update their methods of thwarting those who have stolen systems in use. If your system is properly licensed, updates will be a benefit. I have seen only one time Microsoft had a major backlash from an update and that was only for a specific brand of computer. They made things right immediately after the problem was discovered.

If you are legit, you are safe. If you're a pirate, the navy will eventually get you.
a b \ Driver
December 21, 2010 6:02:58 PM

And this is absolutely false.
Problems with updates occur in many, not all computers, regardless of the source of the software.
People with licensed software experience these problems frequently, legit or not.

Third party security software such as Norton or Panda is superior to any MS update. And that is why you don't need to load the updates.
a b \ Driver
December 21, 2010 6:41:57 PM

soundguruman said:
And this is absolutely false.
Problems with updates occur in many, not all computers, regardless of the source of the software.
People with licensed software experience these problems frequently, legit or not.

Third party security software such as Norton or Panda is superior to any MS update. And that is why you don't need to load the updates.

Absolutely false??

You live close to CalPoly, go get an education in computers. If that's too much for your budget, try Cuesta Community College. They have plenty of money so their Computer Sciences Dept. might be pretty good. If even that's too much for you, try night classes at Morro Bay High School.

!