Migrating very large files over a LAN

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I am having a difficult time moving 4x1GB files over my 100MB LAN.

One machine is XP Pro ( a notebook )

And the other machine is ME ( a desktop )

Until I can afford a faster PC, my work PC will have to suffice for ripping
DVDs, and I want copy those files over.

I tried setting up a share, and using Explorer to copy it over, but that
does not seem to work. It started, but never finished.

So, I heard that NetMeeting had an FTP client built in, so I tried that.
Well, NetMeeting crashed on my ME machine, causing a GDI error in "conf",
and it wouldn't even load on the XP, telling me that version 3.01 will not
work - at all.

So maybe NetMeeting's time has come and gone? Did I miss that?

So, I have an old copy of WS_FTP Pro, which is an FTP client. I just
checked, and it works fine. (It's installed on my ME machine)

And then I went to a website that showed me how to enable FTP to a share on
my notebook XP Pro computer. Which I did ( did I? I never setup a login or
anything ) according to one person's opinion.

I know that I set the share up properly because I can see it on the other
machine.

The question is, my WS_FTP Pro, trying to connect to the shared file(s) on
255.255.255.255:21 did not seem to work. Causing a "Connect failure".

It's really a miner irritant only, but one that I'd like to know more about.
And I reckon here on the Internet someone must know something.

Well, thanks again for looking. Feel free to castigate, investigate,
recapitulate, or repudiate at will.

Mr. Curious.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

From: "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com>

| I am having a difficult time moving 4x1GB files over my 100MB LAN.
|
| One machine is XP Pro ( a notebook )
|
| And the other machine is ME ( a desktop )
|
| Until I can afford a faster PC, my work PC will have to suffice for ripping
| DVDs, and I want copy those files over.
|
| I tried setting up a share, and using Explorer to copy it over, but that
| does not seem to work. It started, but never finished.
|
| So, I heard that NetMeeting had an FTP client built in, so I tried that.
| Well, NetMeeting crashed on my ME machine, causing a GDI error in "conf",
| and it wouldn't even load on the XP, telling me that version 3.01 will not
| work - at all.
|
| So maybe NetMeeting's time has come and gone? Did I miss that?
|
| So, I have an old copy of WS_FTP Pro, which is an FTP client. I just
| checked, and it works fine. (It's installed on my ME machine)
|
| And then I went to a website that showed me how to enable FTP to a share on
| my notebook XP Pro computer. Which I did ( did I? I never setup a login or
| anything ) according to one person's opinion.
|
| I know that I set the share up properly because I can see it on the other
| machine.
|
| The question is, my WS_FTP Pro, trying to connect to the shared file(s) on
| 255.255.255.255:21 did not seem to work. Causing a "Connect failure".
|
| It's really a miner irritant only, but one that I'd like to know more about.
| And I reckon here on the Internet someone must know something.
|
| Well, thanks again for looking. Feel free to castigate, investigate,
| recapitulate, or repudiate at will.
|
| Mr. Curious.

Unless you load a FTP Daemon (service) you can't use FTP.

You can use MS Networking shares to copy data from one PC to another at 100Mb/s (no 100MB !)
however, you won't reach 100Mb/s and you are using NetBIOS over IP so don't expect real
speed out of it. If you are connected to a hub then you can only use Half-Duplex
networking. However, if you use an Ethernet switch (such as a standalone or that on a
Cable/Dsl Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41) than you can put both computers into
Full-Duplex mode and that will allow 200Mb/s LAN access since the computers can send and
receive packets at the same time. That is the maximum obtainable but you won't see that
much gain. You would only see a marginable gain.

I have copied GB's (Ghost GHO and GHS 2GB files) of data over a SOHO LAN with MS Networking
shares and it complete for me so there is something wrong in the MS Networking on your SOHO
LAN.

If the computers have FireWire or USB v2.0 I suggest using the fastest Compact Flash memory
cards and a FireWire or USB v2.0 Compact Flash card reader. The SanDisk Ultra II works at
60x speed and the Ultra III work at 133x speed (you would have to make sure the Compact
Flash Card Reader is 133x compliant). There are 1GB, 2G and 4GB Compact Flash cards. You
can also go the route of using an external hard disk but performance won't be that great.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

> [...]
won't see that
> much gain. You would only see a marginable gain.
>
> I have copied GB's (Ghost GHO and GHS 2GB files) of data over a SOHO LAN
with MS Networking
> shares and it complete for me so there is something wrong in the MS
Networking on your SOHO
> LAN.
>
> If the computers have FireWire or USB v2.0 I suggest using the fastest
Compact Flash memory
> cards and a FireWire or USB v2.0 Compact Flash card reader. The SanDisk
Ultra II works at
> 60x speed and the Ultra III work at 133x speed (you would have to make
sure the Compact
> Flash Card Reader is 133x compliant). There are 1GB, 2G and 4GB Compact
Flash cards. You
> can also go the route of using an external hard disk but performance won't

It's very weird.

I get to about 20 seconds left to copy, and then all of a sudden the time it
takes to complete changes to well over a million minutes remaining. Oh,
let me check, yes that would be:

1,664,715 minutes left.

I *think* that if I wait long enough, it *might* work. But I need a better
solution.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

(significantly trimmed)

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:29:04 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com>
>
>| I am having a difficult time moving 4x1GB files over my 100MB LAN.
>|
>| I tried setting up a share, and using Explorer to copy it over, but that
>| does not seem to work. It started, but never finished.

>I have copied GB's (Ghost GHO and GHS 2GB files) of data over a SOHO LAN with MS Networking
>shares and it complete for me so there is something wrong in the MS Networking on your SOHO
>LAN.

There was a significant problem with large file transfer with Realtek
NIC drivers in the Win98/WinME era ... ng_reader should verify that he
has current drivers.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In the WinME box I have a dual SMC 10/100 card card.

Probably not a bad idea, but not a Realtek.

From: "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com>

| In the WinME box I have a dual SMC 10/100 card card.
|
| Probably not a bad idea, but not a Realtek.

What do you mean "..dual SMC 10/100 card.." Two 10/100Mb's Ethernet ports ?

Describe the Network configuration (all network components) under networking on the WinME
PC.

Have you tried both PUSHING and PULLING the data files ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

This thread is especially interesting because I have the same situation with
transfer starting okay then crawling to snail's pace. I am also
transferring 4GB (about 20 200K movies) for data DVD burning. I have tried
pushing vs pulling.
When I pull to the ME system it receives at 6-7MB/s (according to Everest).
(Before it slows)
When I push to ME the transfer is at 3MB/s top.
The ME system has an NC100 v2 NIC.
The XP system has Realtek 8139.
Both have the latest drivers. When the transfer slows to a crawl it helps
here if I start a movie file playing from
the source drive, strange as that may be.

I have an SMC card in a 98SE system on my network. I think it has a Realtek
chipset.

Just now checked transfers between two XP systems with Realtek 8139s. They
transfer at 10MB/s according to Everest.

From: "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com>

| The source is a notebook running XP Pro
| The target is a desktop running WinME.
|
| Sorry for any confusion.
|
| They are linked via a 10/100 Fast Ethernet switch.
|
| As for pushing, and pulling, well yes - from my Explorer window. If there is
| a command line, I don't know it.

Pull from WinME
Copy "\\winxp_PC\\share\my_large_file" c:\

Push from WinXP
Copy "C:\Documents and Settings\ng_reader\My Documents\my_large_file" \\WinME_PC\share

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Arthur

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Un hook your LAN, get a CAT 5 crossover cable and connect the two together
with no interruptions

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having a difficult time moving 4x1GB files over my 100MB LAN.
>
> One machine is XP Pro ( a notebook )
>
> And the other machine is ME ( a desktop )
>
> Until I can afford a faster PC, my work PC will have to suffice for
> ripping
> DVDs, and I want copy those files over.
>
> I tried setting up a share, and using Explorer to copy it over, but that
> does not seem to work. It started, but never finished.
>
> So, I heard that NetMeeting had an FTP client built in, so I tried that.
> Well, NetMeeting crashed on my ME machine, causing a GDI error in "conf",
> and it wouldn't even load on the XP, telling me that version 3.01 will not
> work - at all.
>
> So maybe NetMeeting's time has come and gone? Did I miss that?
>
> So, I have an old copy of WS_FTP Pro, which is an FTP client. I just
> checked, and it works fine. (It's installed on my ME machine)
>
> And then I went to a website that showed me how to enable FTP to a share
> on
> my notebook XP Pro computer. Which I did ( did I? I never setup a login
> or
> anything ) according to one person's opinion.
>
> I know that I set the share up properly because I can see it on the other
> machine.
>
> The question is, my WS_FTP Pro, trying to connect to the shared file(s) on
> 255.255.255.255:21 did not seem to work. Causing a "Connect failure".
>
> It's really a miner irritant only, but one that I'd like to know more
> about.
> And I reckon here on the Internet someone must know something.
>
> Well, thanks again for looking. Feel free to castigate, investigate,
> recapitulate, or repudiate at will.
>
> Mr. Curious.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

That may solve it,

But cripes, the NIC on the WinME is 10 years old. I checked with SMC, they
*officially* don't support it.

The Dell note has whatever on board, but so what.

In the past I would just hang the HD off the ribbon cable and copy it that
way. Kluge, but effective.

Moot point really, for now.
"Arthur" <art@myhome.com> wrote in message
> Un hook your LAN, get a CAT 5 crossover cable and connect the two together
> with no interruptions
>
> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a difficult time moving 4x1GB files over my 100MB LAN.
> >
> > One machine is XP Pro ( a notebook )
> >
> > And the other machine is ME ( a desktop )
> >
> > Until I can afford a faster PC, my work PC will have to suffice for
> > ripping
> > DVDs, and I want copy those files over.
> >
> > I tried setting up a share, and using Explorer to copy it over, but that
> > does not seem to work. It started, but never finished.
> >
> > So, I heard that NetMeeting had an FTP client built in, so I tried that.
> > Well, NetMeeting crashed on my ME machine, causing a GDI error in
"conf",
> > and it wouldn't even load on the XP, telling me that version 3.01 will
not
> > work - at all.
> >
> > So maybe NetMeeting's time has come and gone? Did I miss that?
> >
> > So, I have an old copy of WS_FTP Pro, which is an FTP client. I just
> > checked, and it works fine. (It's installed on my ME machine)
> >
> > And then I went to a website that showed me how to enable FTP to a share
> > on
> > my notebook XP Pro computer. Which I did ( did I? I never setup a login
> > or
> > anything ) according to one person's opinion.
> >
> > I know that I set the share up properly because I can see it on the
other
> > machine.
> >
> > The question is, my WS_FTP Pro, trying to connect to the shared file(s)
on
> > 255.255.255.255:21 did not seem to work. Causing a "Connect failure".
> >
> > It's really a miner irritant only, but one that I'd like to know more
> > about.
> > And I reckon here on the Internet someone must know something.
> >
> > Well, thanks again for looking. Feel free to castigate, investigate,
> > recapitulate, or repudiate at will.
> >
> > Mr. Curious.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In article <u9dp#NMrFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, john-no-spam@no-
spam.co says...
> This thread is especially interesting because I have the same situation with
> transfer starting okay then crawling to snail's pace. I am also
> transferring 4GB (about 20 200K movies) for data DVD burning. I have tried
> pushing vs pulling.
> When I pull to the ME system it receives at 6-7MB/s (according to Everest).
> (Before it slows)
> When I push to ME the transfer is at 3MB/s top.
> The ME system has an NC100 v2 NIC.
> The XP system has Realtek 8139.
> Both have the latest drivers. When the transfer slows to a crawl it helps
> here if I start a movie file playing from
> the source drive, strange as that may be.
>
> I have an SMC card in a 98SE system on my network. I think it has a Realtek
> chipset.
>
> Just now checked transfers between two XP systems with Realtek 8139s. They
> transfer at 10MB/s according to Everest.

I have Intel Network cards in most machines, some are D-Link, some are
based on the motherboard - when I have problems with large files I swap
in a new NIC, disable the old, and it seems to fix the problem.

I had two servers, 1GB NIC's and they would not allow large files (over
3MB manuy times, so, I fought with it for many days.... Changed the NIC
and it worked fine.

You can also look at the RX and TX Buffers if you want to increase
performance.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Check these ones, some are freetransfers.
I only tried the 1st one. I am not aware of the
file size acceptable to them.

http://www.yousendit.com/

http://rapidshare.de/
http://s1.ultrashare.net/
http://sharefiles.ru
http://www.come2store.com
http://www.datapickup.com/
http://www.dropload.com
http://www.myfilestash.com/
http://www.mytempdir.com/
http://www.putfile.com
http://www.rapidshare.de
http://www.sharebigfile.com
http://www.webfile.ru
http://www.yourfile.net
http://www.yousendit.com
http://www.yousendit.com/
http://www.youshareit.com/
http://www.zippyvideos.com
www.dropload.com

[...]

cool.

I'll post back with results.

I have a nagging suspicion (confirmed with other posters) that it may be a
driver/nic issue.

-t

"AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
> Check these ones, some are freetransfers.
> I only tried the 1st one. I am not aware of the
> file size acceptable to them.
>
> http://www.yousendit.com/
>
> http://rapidshare.de/
> http://s1.ultrashare.net/
> http://sharefiles.ru
> http://www.come2store.com
> http://www.datapickup.com/
> http://www.dropload.com
> http://www.myfilestash.com/
> http://www.mytempdir.com/
> http://www.putfile.com
> http://www.rapidshare.de
> http://www.sharebigfile.com
> http://www.webfile.ru
> http://www.yourfile.net
> http://www.yousendit.com
> http://www.yousendit.com/
> http://www.youshareit.com/
> http://www.zippyvideos.com
> www.dropload.com
>
> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am having a difficult time moving 4x1GB files over my 100MB LAN.
>
> One machine is XP Pro ( a notebook )
>
> And the other machine is ME ( a desktop )
>
> Until I can afford a faster PC, my work PC will have to suffice for
ripping
> DVDs, and I want copy those files over.
>
> I tried setting up a share, and using Explorer to copy it over, but that
> does not seem to work. It started, but never finished.
>
> So, I heard that NetMeeting had an FTP client built in, so I tried that.
> Well, NetMeeting crashed on my ME machine, causing a GDI error in "conf",
> and it wouldn't even load on the XP, telling me that version 3.01 will not
> work - at all.
>
> So maybe NetMeeting's time has come and gone? Did I miss that?
>
> So, I have an old copy of WS_FTP Pro, which is an FTP client. I just
> checked, and it works fine. (It's installed on my ME machine)
>
> And then I went to a website that showed me how to enable FTP to a share
on
> my notebook XP Pro computer. Which I did ( did I? I never setup a login
or
> anything ) according to one person's opinion.
>
> I know that I set the share up properly because I can see it on the other
> machine.
>
> The question is, my WS_FTP Pro, trying to connect to the shared file(s) on
> 255.255.255.255:21 did not seem to work. Causing a "Connect failure".
>
> It's really a miner irritant only, but one that I'd like to know more
about.
> And I reckon here on the Internet someone must know something.
>
> Well, thanks again for looking. Feel free to castigate, investigate,
> recapitulate, or repudiate at will.
>
> Mr. Curious.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Oh, sorry.

These sites are mostly for bulk loading of files. I have no idea how these
companies make any money, and there are so many of them!

I think I need to shop for a new network interface card, if I'm serious.