Deneb does 4.3GHz on air

Status
Not open for further replies.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I find it extremely difficult to believe. Given the process technology AMD uses, its simply no match to Intel's more advanced HK/MG process.

But of course, if there's actually proof for it (CPU-Z shot, machine shot), then it should be believed.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Lol, same here. Without high k material, AMD chips face a serious physical wall on oc that high. It's not just "computer stuff," there are laws of physics that need to be followed. :sarcastic:

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
if it is true, great. i couldn't help notice that site pretty much circles the wagons around AMD products so i would take that article with a grain of salt.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I'm sorry, but your article mentions nothing about AMD moving to HKMG with Deneb.

Here is a report this year:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20080304121622_AMD_Demos_45nm_Native_Quad_Core_Processors.html

Key innovations within AMD’s 45nm process are scheduled to include Immersion Lithography, Fourth-generation Strained Silicon, Ultra-low-k Dielectrics, and High-k/metal Gates. However, the initial 45 nm CPU generation will not use high-k dielectric metal gate technology. AMD believes that it can be “competitive” without high-k at this time, but high-k is an option to be introduced at a later stage of 45 nm production.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Well, they're not doing AMD any favors by trying to build up hype to an untenable level. It'll be the same thing that happened to Phenom. Overinflated expectations leads to crushing disappointment. ATI's 4000s graphics card is the opposite. No one expected much, but received high performers. :p

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
i 200% agree dagger. that's pretty much my point. dropping links and posting from obscure, subjective sites could lead to a major let down. AMD kept it pretty quiet on their 4000 series cards and had pure gold. the "leaks" and hype for the Deneb are reminiscent of the Phenom.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

The same could be said of the sites reporting that Nehalem will OC over 4 Ghz on air. I'm skeptical that this article is true just as I am skeptical of the articles about Nehalem. Until the production processors are released and we see test results from non-ES chips it's all just conjecture.

Regarding AMD's use of the HK/MG process, I suspect that this will be implemented with the AM3 Denebs slotted to come out in Q1-09 and the AM2+ Denebs that will be released this year will be the last SOI parts.

randomizer

Champion

But Deneb doesn't have a high performance bar to jump over, unlike Nehalem. People are also more skeptical of AMDs claims this time round (remember the Barcy 40% over Clovertown?), so I don't think there will be as much hype. More hope, for sure, but the hype has too much salt this time.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
And the hype machine goes into overdrive!:)

I like the months before something new gets released, its exciting with so many rumours, leaks and claims of grandeur... of course with those highs often come the inevitable lows when release time comes and you realise all the hype was blown way out of proportion.

I'll be honest, without a CPU-Z screeny I am quite sceptical of these claims, especially the part about power consumption being better than Intel 45nm HKMG, but it would be amazing if true.

However, I'm sure most of us here remember the hype surrounding Phenom before release... and we all know how that went. ;)

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

The link you provided and both the Press Presentation and Q&A simply mention HiKMGs as future 45nm options, not something being used. In fact, in the Press Presentation PDF, it simply states in slide 3 "First to volume production with low-K interconnect material", and in slide 4 "High-k/metal gate / future 45nm".

But back OT -
4.3Ghz is impressive if true. But what if Deneb cannot come close to this supposed mark? I just hope this isn't an attempt to put AMD's upcoming product in a spotlight that it might not be able to handle.

Considering Nehalem clock for clock gains a performance gap as wide as the gap between Core 2 and Phenom, and the fact that a phenom cant even compete with an ancient Core 2 Q6600 (since we ARE talking overclocked figures - 3ghz on stock, 3.6 on an aftermarket easy), and we are talking about Intel here, the memory performance+latency king (Intel 440BX anyone?) - i say good luck AMD.

Nehalem has real performance figures from 10+ sources, your AMD has no REAL figures - post when you have real figures and not BS.

So NOW its hype. OK, sure it is. So is coolalers findings. You think Andreas would print this if he didnt think it had merit? I know one things for sure. Using HKNG doesnt let you over volt that high, as itll burn up when you try, so having this cpu volted high wont have the same effect as it would on Intels chips. And this isnt hype any more than what weve seen about i7

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008

The alleged 40% performance over is based on 4U server performance. They never say that Agena will out-perform Penryn. Stars core design is for servers, and AMD just didn't bother to design and optimize it for desktop. Ci7 is out to battle AMD on 2U server, while we are just about to see 45nm 24-core vs 16-core battle raging very soon.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

The 4.3ghz claimed for Deneb on air is already achieved by current Intel offerings, so Nehalem will need to take a big step backward.

The same 4.3ghz on air, however, isn't anywhere near the max oc of current Phenoms, of which Deneb shares the same architecture and is a die shrink of.

So "this isnt hype any more than what weve seen about i7" isn't right. It ranks much higher on the hype scale. :na:

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Except that in one corner we have actual independent benchmarks of actual hardware and in the other corner we have the word of some guy at AMD and an anonymous 'source'...

I'd love to see AMD come out with a CPU that's competitive with Nehalem, but I don't see any reason to see this as more than hype right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.