Sign in with
Your question

Why I Went PC But Still Keep my Mac!

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2008 11:51:09 AM

Hi Tom's people

Why the title? It's a change from "Rate my build before I order" but that's kinda what I need you guys to do ;)  However there is an element of truth to it as I will be ditching my 2.5 year old powerbook G4 in favour of a homebuilt x64 Vista gaming rig as I am fed up of running old games at 6-10 FPS! Makes a change from all the stories of Mac converts we hear about. I mainly only play world of warcraft but that's probably more due to not having the option of playing anything else... I will keep the Mac though (I will think of a reason soon)

This is my first attempt at assembling a rig so take it easy on me. I would like to keep this build for 12-18 months after which I'd like to switch to Nehalem. If you can recommend parts that may be carried over to a Nehalem set-up I'm all ears. My budget was £700 at first but once PSU and case are factored in I think I will be going over but not too much I hope. Here is my list; Tell me what you think please:

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

CPU Cooler
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 together with the separate retention bracket

Other than gaming I will use this build for photoshop and I know that PS CS3 does use more than 2 cores but I don't think the difference is enough to switch to a Q6600. (I would also like to OC the CPU at some point).

Motherboard
Asus P5Q PRO, iP45, S 775, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR2 1200MHz, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

As for motherboard I have chosen this. No idea whether it's a good board or not. I need from it good overclocking performance, RAID capability but don't plan on crossfire.

GPU
Gigabyte Radeon HD4870

HDD
500 GB Seagate ST3500320AS Barracuda 7200.11, SATA 300, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.5 ms, NCQx2

To be set up in RAID 0. I see the WD 640 being recommended on the forums alot. Which should I go for?

RAM
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800MHz), Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12

Optical Drive
SAMSUNG SH-S223Q/BEBN 22x DVD±R, 8x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, x12 RAM SATA L/scribe Black OEM +Nero

Would I need to purchase extra things if it's an OEM?

Wireless Adapter
Netgear WG311GE PCI NIC/ENet 11g 54Mbps Wireless PCI Card

As much as i would love to connect by wire, it's out of the question. I haven't found any wireless cards that people agree to be reliable so I chose this one randomly.

Finally all that remains (I think?) is the case and PSU. For the case my choices are Antec 300 or 900. Anyone have experience with the 300? I will probably have to buy extra fans for the 300 so th eprice difference may not be as much as it looks at first.

And as for PSU, this is where my noobness shines. How the hell do I go about choosing one?

Thanks in advance for any responses that I may get and sorry about the long post.

More about : mac

Related resources
July 30, 2008 12:44:10 PM

It's true that there is a future in Quad. I elected to go Dual for now, myself.

The P5Q-E has slightly better MB cooling and possibly a better BIOS, but it has the useless 3rd PCI-E slot. I didn't care about the slot and went with that.

The P5Q-pro will give you great performance and OC though.

Most of us here prefer WD, but if you get a price break on a Seagate or Samsung or whatever, it will probably work. WD are dependable, and if one does go bad they are always ready to make it right with minimal fuss.
July 30, 2008 12:55:22 PM

Thanks for the link evongugg. As for dual vs quad, I had a bloody hard time deciding but to be honest it all depends when that "future" finally arrives. Would that be within the next 12-18 months?
!