Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Low profile graphic card and power supply?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2008 2:05:27 PM

I have a hp slimline with the following specs:
Model s3500f, AMD dual core processer 5400+, Ram 4MB, 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-6400) , 500MB hard drive, and NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics with 128MB dedicated memory, an addition to the main system memory, and 1343MB total available video memory. I also have windows vista premium.

I wanted to upgrade the graphic card so I purchused GeForce 8500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Low Profile Video Card. My power supply in the slimline is lower then I actually had thought (160w). Do I need more power to run this card? If so can you reccommend one, and are they difficult to install? I have no experience with power supplys at all so any info will be helpful!

All I really want to do is play World of Warcraft, and actually what came with the computer works okay, but I wanted a little boost. Thanks!

More about : low profile graphic card power supply

August 21, 2008 2:19:04 PM

Hmm... Given the rating, I have the impression that the power supply that came with that system was designed to be just BARELY sufficient to run what it had. In other words, any component upgrade would entail upgrading the power supply.

However, I'm not precisely certain what form of power supply unit (PSU) the SlimLine uses. I know it's not a standard ATX-sized one, since that won't fit into your case. So to be honest, I'm not even positive if there *IS* one you can buy to upgrade, though that's unlikely, in my opinion; someone else will have to chime in on that.

As far as installing it goes, it's actually rather simple and straightforward, so far as you remember all the places that needed plugging in. (probably just your motherboard, DVD drive, and hard drive) The plugs are all designed so that they cannot be inserted in the wrong way. Typically, all you need is a medium-sized Philips-head screwdriver to take care of the screws holding together the case and holding the PSU in the case. The rest is just dealing with plugs and sliding out the old unit and sliding in the new.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2009 6:32:29 AM

lawls @ the new ppl
Related resources
May 14, 2011 7:10:17 PM

Here is a 300 watt power supply for that model:

a c 274 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
May 14, 2011 8:08:55 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!